ugh...hes not drinking

cmk

Your Chameleon - male veiled, 5 to 6 months, ive had him 1 week
Handling - so far twice. He walks right to me
Feeding - medium/small crickets supers and horn worms. Dusted with repcal. Gutloaded with mustard greens, carrots and apples also with flukers orange cube
Supplements - i havent used them yet but herptivite, and repcal with d3
Watering - i soak the cage with a mister-he HATES it- twice a day. 30 minutes after lights on 9am and again around 2pm. Also a dripper runs constantly between mistings
Fecal Description - big poo soft firm, dark, if it sits on the cage floor it stains the white floor after 5 minutes. Urates started slightly yellow, then turned nice and white on wednesday then a very slight orange today
History - got him at petco. Thats about it

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 16x16x30 screen
Lighting - 75w basking bulb when its warm out 100w basking for cold days-i have a drafty home- repti sun 5.0 uvb. Mini deep dome combo.
Temperature - basking spot varys from 86 to 93. Ambient also varys depending on home temps but its 65 to 75. Digital thermo with probe mounted right on basking branch and in shaded area in the middle
Humidity - before lights on 47% after lights on and basking temps are achieved 30% after heavy mistings 52% digital hygro
Plants - small pothos, medium schefflera arbicola 2 plastic medium vines
Placement - in my room with the door shut during the day little to no traffic, on a 2ft tall table top of the cage is 4 to 5 feet from the floor
Location - denver, co

Current Problem - The bugger isnt drinking! The only time i see him drink is when i spray him directly with warm water in the mister and he hates that so i wont piss him off doing that. Do i have to use a needle and fill the crickets with water?! Thall be annoying. His eyes are nice and full looking its just his urates im worried about. Is it ok to have slight yellowing for a veiled? Also he loves to chomp on the schefflera. Doesnt eat it, just bites it. Ive put in a whole mustard green leaf and he loves that!

I have a couple of panthers that shake there heads back in forth when I start spraying them. They def look annoyed but I just keep at it. Sometimes they drink right away and sometimes it takes up to 5-10 mins. Just keep at it. He might be drinking from the dripper when your not around. If he's eating and his eyes are full I'm sure he's drinking. Plus it's only been a week. He might still be trying to settle in.
Just keep doing what your doing and I'm sure he will get used to his new routine in no time.
Good luck!!

Ok thanks. New to chams and im paranoid. Everything ive read says you dont see them drink but it was just the orange urates that worried me. Also i was hoping to hear any tips or tricks to get him to drink. Should i get a exo terra plant dripper and keep the water changed and cleaned daily? Or just spray him until i see him lick water off his face?

If he is drinking when your not watching he might not be thirsty when your using the hand sprayer. I'd say spray him for 30 seconds stop for 30 seconds and so on. If you do this for 10 mins I'd be surprised if he didn't start drinking at least a little bit.
Being paranoid just means you care. But I wouldn't worry yourself to death. Veileds are known for being strong chameleons.

Ok thanks again. I got home checked his cage found two large rolls of poo and perfect white urates. Guess i am just paranoid.
Next question, the poo smelled just terrible! More foul then a dog that ate rancid meat. Is it vet time already or just take in a sample?
Anyone know a good reptile vet in denver?

Ok thanks again. I got home checked his cage found two large rolls of poo and perfect white urates. Guess i am just paranoid.
Next question, the poo smelled just terrible! More foul then a dog that ate rancid meat. Is it vet time already or just take in a sample?
Anyone know a good reptile vet in denver?

I have had to up my misting here in the dry Denver winter. Chameleons get a mist 3x a day and a drip probably 2x a week. I also have live plants in the cage which helps a lot. I found a really good reptile vet at the Aurora Animal Hospital.

Back
Top Bottom