Trying to build an extension! HELP!

vbriggs06

Hi everyone!

I have an 18x18x27(?) glass terrarium which my veiled chameleon is doing great in. Only thing is, she's getting bigger and of course has a growing need to be vertical and high up. :)

I've looked around for extensions for purchase but they do not make them for this size tank. So! I was going to build one using the mesh from the old flexarium I used to use and some natural wood. My problem is that the only wood I can find that fits my size requirements and my budget is primed. I am afraid to used primed wood because of the chemicals, but is it really a problem?? If so, does anyone have any other suggestions for what to use to build this 18x18x18 extension??

Thanks on advance for your help!

Victoria

I use 1x2's for all my cages. I get them in 8 ft peices for 0.98 cents for each at my local lumber store. Hope this helps.

My problem is that the only wood I can find that fits my size requirements and my budget is primed. I am afraid to used primed wood because of the chemicals, but is it really a problem??

Primed with what? Do you mean pressure treated exterior wood? Pressure treated wood can leach some fairly toxic things over time, but you may be able to seal it by painting it with water based latex that is kid safe. Find out what it was primed with. If oil based, the latex won't stick.

Most of the chameleon cages I see here in the US are made with aluminum window screen framing. It's inexpensive, and the cage frame can be screwed together with small screws. You could probably build a very clean, professional looking extension that way...

I think it is a laytex primer (water-based)... I can check with the store that sells it, but if it is laytex-primed, this should be ok?? I mean, It would probably be covered in mesh netting anyway, but I just want to be safe. :)

Is this what you are talking about? I was able to put this together in a weekend and sealed it with poly urethane. It fits a 75gallon tank. I used red oak but you could make on e out of pine and it would be much cheaper. It does not have to be quite as elaborate as this one. Think of it as a bunch of rectangles that fit together to form the top. I used 1/2" plywood for the back and sealed it with poly urethane varnish.

Last edited:
Wow! Nice one Reptoman! That is generally what I want to do, but yes - not as elaborate. I only have an 18X18 tank so it definitely wouldn't be that large either lol :)

Back
Top Bottom