Tortoise Town? Backwater Reptiles?

Hi,

Has anyone ordered from chams from Tortoise Town or Backwater Reptiles?

Could you provide some info on your experience with them?

Thanks!

I have a few chameleons from backwater that were bought for me as a gift. They would not be my 1st choice, but I didn’t want to turn the gifted babies away.

What I can tell you from the relative that purchased them is they informed him after he paid that they were out of all the kinds he ordered - bless his heart, he ordered a pair of Parsons! Instead, he received a pair of ousties and a dwarf male Jackson & I now own all three as of Xmas.

The first shipment was picked up in the AM directly at the shipping center so travel time was minimal.

The second shipment which came later, did not go like that and a gravid Jackson female stayed in transit almost two days. She was so cold when she arrived that he thought she was dead. A month later, I haven’t seen any residual effects from this scary experience.

Luckily, all are well, personable, & passed parasite exams. I have little info about where they originated and if they are captive bred. There appears to be some doubt on his end that if he was evenly compensated in the swapping types as they were out of so many. I told him to just learn from the experience.

Personally, it’s scary that anyone can order without them asking questions about proper husbandry. Luckily, I am not new to chameleons & often take in rescues. A huge learning experience for me and my family. Hopefully, this insight will help you in your decision. Buying from a reputable breeder who will ensure a healthy future by helping you should always be the first choice. Curb impulse buys to avoid later stress and/or heartache! Good luck!

I have a few chameleons from backwater that were bought for me as a gift. They would not be my 1st choice, but I didn’t want to turn the gifted babies away.

What I can tell you from the relative that purchased them is they informed him after he paid that they were out of all the kinds he ordered - bless his heart, he ordered a pair of Parsons! Instead, he received a pair of ousties and a dwarf male Jackson & I now own all three as of Xmas.

The first shipment was picked up in the AM directly at the shipping center so travel time was minimal.

The second shipment which came later, did not go like that and a gravid Jackson female stayed in transit almost two days. She was so cold when she arrived that he thought she was dead. A month later, I haven’t seen any residual effects from this scary experience.

Luckily, all are well, personable, & passed parasite exams. I have little info about where they originated and if they are captive bred. There appears to be some doubt on his end that if he was evenly compensated in the swapping types as they were out of so many. I told him to just learn from the experience.

Personally, it’s scary that anyone can order without them asking questions about proper husbandry. Luckily, I am not new to chameleons & often take in rescues. A huge learning experience for me and my family. Hopefully, this insight will help you in your decision. Buying from a reputable breeder who will ensure a healthy future by helping you should always be the first choice. Curb impulse buys to avoid later stress and/or heartache! Good luck!

That's awful! Yes, you're right. Anyone who orders a chameleon should have to answer questions to prove they are equipped to do own one.

My uncle once bought a bunch of saltwater fish off the internet and half of them arrived dead. I tend to avoid ordering any living creature off the internet! You never really knows how the company treats the animals.

Back
Top Bottom