Too skinny?

So--he is falling because he is sick. I suspect you do not have a linear UVB as I've asked a few times. Its likely he had MBD. Falling is not a good sign.

Vet is critical as soon as possible. You're chameleon is in very poor health.
I don't understand.. I've done so much for him, feed him, mist him and get all the lights correctly, I have 19 pages straight of research- I just.. maybe It was his genes? If he has MBD, I'm just gonna be the saddest person. I will talk to my parents about the vet.

I don't understand.. I've done so much for him, feed him, mist him and get all the lights correctly, I have 19 pages straight of research- I just.. maybe It was his genes? If he has MBD, I'm just gonna be the saddest person. I will talk to my parents about the vet.

It is not his genes. The lights are incorrect. The humidity is unknown. The food is not nutritious. I am very sorry but the information you were given is incorrect.

Thank you for posting.

Your chameleon is very unhealthy. He needs a vet and if I am being totally honest--they may have some tough choices for you to make.

I'm guessing you purchased The Chameleon Kit from Zoomed?
No I did not, I heard It wasn't good so I didn't but It, I got my own branches and things like that.

It is not his genes. The lights are incorrect. The humidity is unknown. The food is not nutritious. I am very sorry but the information you were given is incorrect.
If I lose him, I lose everything. I love him with everything in me. I just, I'm so sad right now, and just disappointed in myself. I swear I am trying my very best but I feel like my best is never enough.

If I lose him, I lose everything. I love him with everything in me. I just, I'm so sad right now, and just disappointed in myself. I swear I am trying my very best but I feel like my best is never enough.

A hard lesson to learn -- is that sometimes our very best is not enough. This could be for many reasons -- but often our best is not enough when we are not given adequate information to try our best with. Keeping animals is always hard because it inevitably means dealing with health issues and death.

Please let me know if you would like help find a vet with chameleon experience in your vicinity.

Calm down and take some nice deep breaths. You have done the best that you’ve known how to do. You have absolutely come to the right place where you will get the education and support in providing optimal care for your guy. Priority right now is to get your cham to a knowledgeable vet. If you need help in finding one, some of the forum members should be able to help you with that if you let us know where you are located. One step at a time, ok?

I am 16. :) And you might think I am too young to care for a chameleon which is not true, I swear I am doing everything in my power for my chameleon to have the best life possible. Im going to do everything I can for him.
Fellow teenager here. I would agree about listening to @Beman about the studies. However, your chameleon looks very skinny. @Brodybreaux25 is one of the best involving Panther chameleons on the forum, and I would hope he can comment on your issue.
[/QUOTE]
Yall got this under control, id just run them off. Good advice given so far.

Calm down and take some nice deep breaths. You have done the best that you’ve known how to do. You have absolutely come to the right place where you will get the education and support in providing optimal care for your guy. Priority right now is to get your cham to a knowledgeable vet. If you need help in finding one, some of the forum members should be able to help you with that if you let us know where you are located. One step at a time, ok?
I just got my cham into a vet at 9:00 am tomorrow. I hope he is okay. I'm just sickly worried about him.

Can you take a photo of the containers of vitamins and calcium etc that you dust the insects with please.
IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_2995.jpeg

Your chameleon really should see a vet. I'm not sure you can bring him back on your own. The chameleon can hydrate the chameleon and give you a dietary food supplement to help build him back up again. A vet can test for parasites if you take a fresh poop sample with you. The vet can also run some tests to see if his levels are good.

I gave you some gutloading/feeding info for your insects. Please make sure you feed the insects well so you will be giving the chameleon a healthy diet. If you get other insects make sure you feed them what they need to be healthy too.

As has already been said, your chameleon could use more variety of insects in his diet....and you have the list from that post of what insects would be good to add.

Supplements can be done several ways. Many people on here use Repashy LoD and others use the same method I do...RepCal phos free calcium powder dusted lightly on the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding...mire precisely this means all feedings except 4...and on 2 df those days....so once every two weeks...I dust lightly with a phos free calcium//D3 powder. The other two times is again....once every 2 weeks..and I use Herptivite vitamin powder dusted lightly those 2 times.

Now comes the explanation as simply as I can make it...
The D3 powder is given only twice a month to make sure that the chameleon gets some D3 and it leaves him to produce the rest of the D3 from sitting in the UVB light. This is the safest way I know of making sure he gets enough D3 without overdosing him. D3 from supplements can build up in his system and cause health issues. D3 from UVB light won't as long as he can move out from under the UVB when he wants to. Using Herptivite makes sure that he won't get overdosed on vitsmin A because it contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. This is called a prOformed source of vitamin A and is only made into real vitamin A by the body as the chameleon needs it ...so it's safe. PrEformed sources of vitamin A...a different type of vitamin A (called retinol or palmitate)..can build up in the system and cause problems...but some chameleons may need a bit sometimes...you'll have to learn about that too...but I won't talk about it today. There's enough to absorb.

I recommend using the long linear tube reptisun 5.0 UVB light because it gives better UVB coverage. For a basking light...when yours burns out just use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that makes the temperature right in the basking area.

Is your dripper dripping onto a leaf or branch? I see the hose going down into the cage but I can't see where it's going. Where does the extra water go?

Is your chameleon still pooping and producing urates (the white part)?

That's enough for now.

Your chameleon really should see a vet. I'm not sure you can bring him back on your own. The chameleon can hydrate the chameleon and give you a dietary food supplement to help build him back up again. A vet can test for parasites if you take a fresh poop sample with you. The vet can also run some tests to see if his levels are good.

I gave you some gutloading/feeding info for your insects. Please make sure you feed the insects well so you will be giving the chameleon a healthy diet. If you get other insects make sure you feed them what they need to be healthy too.

As has already been said, your chameleon could use more variety of insects in his diet....and you have the list from that post of what insects would be good to add.

Supplements can be done several ways. Many people on here use Repashy LoD and others use the same method I do...RepCal phos free calcium powder dusted lightly on the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding...mire precisely this means all feedings except 4...and on 2 df those days....so once every two weeks...I dust lightly with a phos free calcium//D3 powder. The other two times is again....once every 2 weeks..and I use Herptivite vitamin powder dusted lightly those 2 times.

Now comes the explanation as simply as I can make it...
The D3 powder is given only twice a month to make sure that the chameleon gets some D3 and it leaves him to produce the rest of the D3 from sitting in the UVB light. This is the safest way I know of making sure he gets enough D3 without overdosing him. D3 from supplements can build up in his system and cause health issues. D3 from UVB light won't as long as he can move out from under the UVB when he wants to. Using Herptivite makes sure that he won't get overdosed on vitsmin A because it contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. This is called a prOformed source of vitamin A and is only made into real vitamin A by the body as the chameleon needs it ...so it's safe. PrEformed sources of vitamin A...a different type of vitamin A (called retinol or palmitate)..can build up in the system and cause problems...but some chameleons may need a bit sometimes...you'll have to learn about that too...but I won't talk about it today. There's enough to absorb.

I recommend using the long linear tube reptisun 5.0 UVB light because it gives better UVB coverage. For a basking light...when yours burns out just use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that makes the temperature right in the basking area.

Is your dripper dripping onto a leaf or branch? I see the hose going down into the cage but I can't see where it's going. Where does the extra water go?

Is your chameleon still pooping and producing urates (the white part)?

That's enough for now.
My water dripping on a leaf, and the extra water goes to the bottom. And yes, he still produces urate.

To go with the two supplements you already have you can use Herptivite...twice a month....as I described in my last post.

Yes, I dust the insects before I feed him. I gutload them with carrots.
I only turn them off sometimes due to me taking naps at moments, but I then noticed I shouldn't do that and started taking naps in another room so his lights are always on except for night.
The white part of his poop is off white.
Off white, like a tinge of orange?

Back
Top Bottom