Too skinny?

Are you dusting the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon? What do you feed/gutload he superworms, roaches, crickets with?
Why do you turn he lights off during the day?
Does your chameleon have a UVB light?
What are the temperatures in the basking area? The rest of the cage?
Is the white part of his poop/urate so pure white or orangey?
We REALLY REALLY need the answers to these questions to help you.

Please -- just take the time to answer all the questions I highlighted in bold above. That will be more helpful than answering individual questions.
    • Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, Ive had Kraken for a year or two. And male.
    • Handling - Once or twice a week, I don't wanna stress him out.
    • Feeding - I feed my chameleon Dubia Roaches, and super worms. I gutload his food at moments. Meaning, I do gutload his food, but sometimes I run out of carrots but I get more carrots in like day. I feed my gutloads carrots.
    • Supplements - I use D3 and not D3 in his protein powder. I use repticalcium and rep-cal vitamin. I use D3 once a month and without D3, every feeding.
    • Watering - I mist two time a day with a normal mister and keep his little dripper on at most times. Which meaning, I mist him 2 times a day, a for about 15-20 seconds.
    • Fecal Description - No, he has never been tested for parasites. And his fecal looks normal. I usually keep a dubia roach colony, they are medium sized, and I haven't seen him poop much, which for me is concerning.
    • History - Nope.

• Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Screen cage, and not large but, kind of large, He has the extra large cage, 18 x 18 x 36.
    • Lighting - Well, I wake up at 8:00 AM for school and leave his lights on for the whole day and then, after I come home from school, I take a nap and leave his lights off for an hour or two then put his lights back on and when I go to bed I turn his lights back off. Yes, he does have a basking spot and I only turn his lights off at moments because I take naps but I have stopped turning off his lights when I take naps recently.
    • Temperature - I measure the temps using a little sensor near his basking area. Mid 80s.
    • Humidity - His humidity I don't exactly know for sure, but, his cage is bright and my room is cold-ish, but kind of warm, IDK how to describe it. I understand.
    • Plants - No. ok.
    • Placement - His cage is on a desk, and off the ground, somewhat near the ceiling. Somewhat near a window, but my curtains are closed most of the time.
    • Location - I live in Virginia

Are you dusting the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon? What do you feed/gutload he superworms, roaches, crickets with?
Why do you turn he lights off during the day?
Does your chameleon have a UVB light?
What are the temperatures in the basking area? The rest of the cage?
Is the white part of his poop/urate so pure white or orangey?
We REALLY REALLY need the answers to these questions to help you.
Yes, I dust the insects before I feed him. I gutload them with carrots.
I only turn them off sometimes due to me taking naps at moments, but I then noticed I shouldn't do that and started taking naps in another room so his lights are always on except for night.
The white part of his poop is off white.

What you can do for him right now is focus on school. WHen you get home do not nap and turn off his lights. You fill out the rest of the info and as @AnamCara said you need to find a reptile vet and make him an appointment. You need to take a fresh fecal in. Just the stool not the urate. So they can test it. And you need to get your parents on board to pay the vet bill if you can not do so.
Got it. Thank you for being so kind and helping me out with this, I really need this support right now.

You should use more than carrots to feed/gutload the insects. You can use dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a little bit of Apple, pear, melon, berries. Do NOT use spinach or cabbage or citrus fruits or banana.

You should use more than carrots to feed/gutload the insects. You can use dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a little bit of Apple, pear, melon, berries. Do NOT use spinach or cabbage or citrus fruits or banana.
Got it. Thank you so much, I really need this assistance right now. If I lose Kraken, I just- I don't know what would happen to myself.

Ok love -- I'm gonna make some suggestions that need to be changed ASAP -- WHILE you take him to the vet.

He needs a larger cage. 2x2x4 feet at the minimum.

Switch your supplements to Repashy Calcium Plus LoD at every feeding. This is easier for now.

Carrots are NOT an adequate gut load. I'll will attach the gutload sheet with suggested gutloads. You need MORE VARIETY. You will also want more variety in feeders-- so dubias, silks, bsfl, hornworms occasionally....

The light -- is it a long light that goes across his cage -- or a screw-in light bulb like in a lamp?

You will need to mist for longer. 2 minutes at a time -- don't do this too much when the lights are on. Mist in the morning and at night. This is why many people opt for an automatic mister.

I have to be honest with you -- he has been getting less than adequate care for a year. He is likely pretty sick. Please be prepared for a large vet bill and significant funds going to his husbandry.

I am 16. :) And you might think I am too young to care for a chameleon which is not true, I swear I am doing everything in my power for my chameleon to have the best life possible. Im going to do everything I can for him.
[/QUOTE]
Fellow teenager here. I would agree about listening to @Beman about the studies. However, your chameleon looks very skinny. @Brodybreaux25 is one of the best involving Panther chameleons on the forum, and I would hope he can comment on your issue.

Ok
Ok love -- I'm gonna make some suggestions that need to be changed ASAP -- WHILE you take him to the vet.

He needs a larger cage. 2x2x4 feet at the minimum.

Switch your supplements to Repashy Calcium Plus LoD at every feeding. This is easier for now.

Carrots are NOT an adequate gut load. I'll will attach the gutload sheet with suggested gutloads. You need MORE VARIETY. You will also want more variety in feeders-- so dubias, silks, bsfl, hornworms occasionally....

The light -- is it a long light that goes across his cage -- or a screw-in light bulb like in a lamp?

You will need to mist for longer. 2 minutes at a time -- don't do this too much when the lights are on. Mist in the morning and at night. This is why many people opt for an automatic mister.

I have to be honest with you -- he has been getting less than adequate care for a year. He is likely pretty sick. Please be prepared for a large vet bill and significant funds going to his husbandry.

View attachment 247350View attachment 247351
Okay, Thank you so so so so so much. I really need this help and support right now, High school is kicking me in the butt and Im stressed out of my mind, and Kraken is my only safe place. Thank you for helping me out. I will use your advice.

@Mxstical I'm glad you are willing to learn and care about your chameleon so much. There's lots to learn...just keep trying! Ask any questions you need answers to so we can help you....and answer the ones we ask because we ask them so we know how to answer.
Thank you honestly so much, and Im always willing to learn more about chameleons. Kraken is my first ever chameleon, and I will just have to learn from certain things. Thank you. :)

Be more concerned about what would happen to him. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you don't feel comfortable asking here. Your parents are also welcome to get in touch with me if they have questions.
Okay! Thank you so much, means a lot.

Please post the full enclosure.

How is he walking? Steady? How is his grip?

He looks small. Like he may have been stunted.

He has been in yoir care over a year? Has he slowed? Fallen ever?

His enclosure looks very sparse.

Please post the full enclosure.

How is he walking? Steady? How is his grip?

He looks small. Like he may have been stunted.

He has been in yoir care over a year? Has he slowed? Fallen ever?

His enclosure looks very sparse.
He is walking pretty steadily, his grip is good. He is pretty small even though he is like a year or two old. Yes, he has been in my care for over a year, And sadly yes he has fallen sometimes, which is why I put a lot of leaves at the bottom of the cage.

He is walking pretty steadily, his grip is good. He is pretty small even though he is like a year or two old. Yes, he has been in my care for over a year, And sadly yes he has fallen sometimes, which is why I put a lot of leaves at the bottom of the cage.

So--he is falling because he is sick. I suspect you do not have a linear UVB as I've asked a few times. Its likely he had MBD. Falling is not a good sign.

Vet is critical as soon as possible. You're chameleon is in very poor health.

Back
Top Bottom