Too much UVB

There is such a thing as too much uvb. But with how low of microwatts our manmade uvb bulbs produce compared to the sun it's very hard for your cham to get too much. Make sure they have areas where they can get completely out of the uvb rays and you'll be fine.

What do y'all think about a 10.0? I know everyone always says 5.0, but my guy seems to love it and spends about 70% of his time there. I thought about changing it to 5.0, but I haven't seen any negative effects in the 4 months I've been using it.

I personally use 10.0 bulbs and higher and the chameleons seem to love basking under them. I personally see no problem with using the higher 10.0 blbs as long as there is areas for the chameleons to get away from the uv lighting if they so wish.

UVB can bother their eyes especially when they are young. If you keep them in a cage they have no where to move to get completely out of it. I have always free ranged my guys and at first was shocked at the small amount of time they chose to stay right under the UVB light.

UVB can bother their eyes especially when they are young. If you keep them in a cage they have no where to move to get completely out of it. I have always free ranged my guys and at first was shocked at the small amount of time they chose to stay right under the UVB light.

This completely explains why Yuki loves being deeper down in her enclosure, or under the basking light, there's no UVB hitting there :p

I use 6%UV T5 HO Arcadia and they are pretty bright if you get close.
I measured the UV filtered through the screen cage and it was still almost 6%, so the screen did nothing to lessen the UV.
My 2 panthers and jacksons do mostly keep in the middle or near bottom except early morning, they bask then get some UV, then maybe wander around a bit.
By about lunchtime, they want to come out and wander the free range :)

I use an Arcadia T5 HO 6% UVB also, and have seen NO signs of eye stress or issues of any kind. I have plenty of areas for my veiled to escape from the lights if he needs, and he loves sitting directly under it from time to time. I did not have the bulb for the first few months, and he is 6 months old right now. I HIGHLY reccomend these lights ;). I would also say that a 10.0 UVB can work just fine as long as there are places for your cham to get out of the light if needed. Many on the forum use these and have for a long time!
Here is a link to my blog about lighting for my boy Zaphod. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/decadancin/754-winter-lighting-schedule.html As you can see, I have TONS of light for him and he's got no issues with the setup :cool:. Hope this helps! :)

I switched to the 10.0 when I went up to a 2x2x4 cage and all seems fine. My cham also has plently of places to escape the UV if he chooses.

I just recently purchased the arcadia T5ho6% and had to end up filtering it a little for the first week. Waldo stayed in the bottom and dark the first day and once I filtered it with some gutter guard he has been out and about ever since. I only have a very small amount on there now covering about 1/3 of the light which I will take off tomorrow so there is not anymore filter under the light. I went from the 5.0 cfl bulbs though so I am sure this was quite the change. But since he has gotten use to it he loves it too :)

I just recently purchased the arcadia T5ho6% and had to end up filtering it a little for the first week. Waldo stayed in the bottom and dark the first day and once I filtered it with some gutter guard he has been out and about ever since. I only have a very small amount on there now covering about 1/3 of the light which I will take off tomorrow so there is not anymore filter under the light. I went from the 5.0 cfl bulbs though so I am sure this was quite the change. But since he has gotten use to it he loves it too :)

This is a good idea. You can also double up the screen while using a 10.0 UVB for the first 2 or 3 months and take it away as the bulb gets older and less effective.

The 10.0 will kill young animals.... and chameleon skin is more sensitive to UV light than other reptiles... young especially. The 5.0's are time proven over the years. I use a old depleted 5.0 bulb for my hatchlings if that tells you anything.

In the case of UV light more isn't better.
your animals trying to restrict their exposure is a sign of it's being too strong.

The 10.0 will kill young animals.... and chameleon skin is more sensitive to UV light than other reptiles... young especially. The 5.0's are time proven over the years. I use a old depleted 5.0 bulb for my hatchlings if that tells you anything.

In the case of UV light more isn't better.
your animals trying to restrict their exposure is a sign of it's being too strong.

I am not trying to debate you, but I would be really interested in seeing quantitative data showing this. I think it would be really interesting. I will have to look through some of Ferguson's topic publications and see if you touches base at all on artificial UVB over-exposure.

I might intuitively assume that young animals in the wild are spending their time in different microhabitat and using different shelter methods than larger animals. A thorough life history study on pardalis would be wonderfully interesting to read, if it hasn't been done already.

On the contrary, such results would further be interesting, as to how many people say NO to 10.00 but others say WHY NOT.. Lots of incongruence among culturist methodology, but we all know there are many different ways to achieve similar success. We all KNOW what we think we KNOW and KNOW there is NO exception to some things.. ;)

Please, no emotional rebuttals.

I have used power sun and solar glo mvb's, 10.0's, 8.0's and 5.0's over babies. No signs of issues to speak of.

Used properly, with the products "safe distance" guideline and even the use of a uvb meter would help. There should not be any reason you cant use a new bulb over a baby veiled. Saying it will kill your babies is flat out incorrect. :)

Do the uv's from the sun not bounce around outdoors? Even on cloudy days your chams still absorb uv rays. If they can't escape them in the wild, why would it matter in a controlled environment? Especially if it the rays are somewhat filtered by the screen? Is it the brightness that we're discussing? Educate me please.

Back
Top Bottom