Too much UVB

I have a 18x36x36 cage and I am using a 5.0 UVB coil. Should I use more or less. The closest my chamleon cang et to the source is about 6 inches.

I have a 18x36x36 cage and I am using a 5.0 UVB coil. Should I use more or less. The closest my chamleon cang et to the source is about 6 inches.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. As long as your cham gets to choose how long it stays close to the light it will regulate its own uvb exposure.
I never used a coil myself, maybe 7 or 8 inches would be better.......

I feel like the 10.0 pales in comparison the sun or even then Powersun bulb that I use as far as brightness and intensity. As stated, if the Cham was bothered they would naturally seek shelter when properly acclimated for such a set up as they would naturally in the wild. When it gets down to it, staring into the sun is bad, thus why we never did it as children because it hurt. Why should the principles be any different for any intense light discomfort for any creature? If we can stop staring into the sun we will.

I feel like the 10.0 pales in comparison the sun or even then Powersun bulb that I use as far as brightness and intensity. As stated, if the Cham was bothered they would naturally seek shelter when properly acclimated for such a set up as they would naturally in the wild. When it gets down to it, staring into the sun is bad, thus why we never did it as children because it hurt. Why should the principles be any different for any intense light discomfort for any creature? If we can stop staring into the sun we will.

True, but the effects of sunlight to humans in the desert are not from staring into the sun. Its from glare and reflection from surfaces, even our own cheeks. The key is to have the proper amount of shelter and hopefully they will seek it. There is a possibility that damage could be done or at least discomfort prior to the animal realizing they need to seek shelter (just as we would have aching eyes or a headache from exposure) so it is important (especially with young ones) to monitor them. Chams do get burned from exposure to heat lamps, and the UVB could present issues as well. (I still feel that the 10.0 is safe, but it can depend greatly on other conditions :))

I live in FLA and my chams love being outside in the sun. They bask all the time. I don't think it is possible to overdose on natural uvb right? I have plenty of shade in my cages and I find them in the sun quite a bit.

I live in FLA and my chams love being outside in the sun. They bask all the time. I don't think it is possible to overdose on natural uvb right? I have plenty of shade in my cages and I find them in the sun quite a bit.

When I put Ego in his outdoor enclosure he moves in and out of sun. I have some fake vine in there so I would say if they have a place for relief from sun then their ok.

Does anyone know how much of the intensity of a 10.0 has dissipated after 4 months?

Without a meter there is no way to tell for sure. It would depend on how long it is on each day. Based on an average of 12 hours a day I would recommend changing them every 6 months. (the Arcadia T5 HO bulbs will last at least a year so the extra cost will be offset by changing less often)

Possible...yes Probable...No. The animals will self regulate to a point, and with the numerous keepers that have their animals outside in florida there would be major issues reported all the time. The fact is that the enclosures all have ample shade and frequent misting to combat the heat of the day. Natural UVB would generally be more than our lamps would be. :)

Back
Top Bottom