Time to Upgrade!

ApocalypseUK

Hey guys/gals,

I live in the UK and am now wanting to upgrade my cage, Living in the UK as people that live here may know the weather is not the best in the world and it tends to be most of the time miserable and cold. So here's were I'm a little lost.

Should I purchase a Wooden Viv or maybe a Reptibreeze Viv.

Reptibreeze for better airflow but being in the UK my little guy might get colder a lot easier.

Wooden Viv good for keeping out the cold also keeping humidity easier but maybe less airflow.

Reptibreeze

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoo-Med-R...iles_Spiders_Insects&var=&hash=item2eca0dff13

Wooden Viv:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIVEXOTIC...iles_Spiders_Insects&var=&hash=item2ec274def3

What ya reckon guys? opinions will be great, Thanks!!

You have very good points about the wooden viv but what I do with the reptibreeze in the cold climate is upgrade the heat in the winter to keep it warm and I have a good humidity system to keep the humidity correct. I do this for all of my reptiles.

I had more problems with respiratory problems using partially enclosed vivs. Hope these ideas give you something to think about and help a little. :)

the airflow with the wooden viv is not much of a problem for me because he will be in my room anyways so I can do what I do now and sometimes just leave the door open or let him come out from time to time since he doesn't mind coming out what so ever, but then again having the reptibreeze will allow me to use it for travel and his main cage so its an hmmm situation lol

any other suggestions guys/gals?? would be really nice to get some advice from people who live in the UK and how they get on with Reptibreeze cages and stuff?
or even others as well how they cope with their chameleons in reptibreezes throughout the winter season and things :)

Just to be safe I would use mesh all the way to respirator avoid problems. I have a wooden viv with all sides mesh and I live in Calgary, AB. This month had temps that were as low as -37 degrees Celsius. Just make sure your cham has enough heat.

Those are nice looking wood vivs. It looks like they have rear vents at different heights, which move air quite a bit via convection. I'm assuming the top is all screen.

As long as the dimensions suit you, my vote is for the wood viv. You may just need to waterproof the interior if not already done.

I'm using a glass/wooden viv, hard enough to keep the humidity high in it let alone a mesh enclosure and I have a little humidifier in the enclosure.. I like the look of a wooden enclosure as well, only downside with a wooden/glass one is they are A LOT more money than a screen one, and A LOT heavier. The wooden one you have in the post is a pressed wood with a veneer coating, I dont know how well it will hold up to the humidity, once moisture gets past the veneer it's game over. The dimensions are on the small size too, 23"x20"x36"

Reptibreeze and just use a higher temp.
Heat bulb. You can also put a shower curtain or tool box liners around the cage to keep humidity up

Thank you all for you replies it's very much appreciated, I ended up going for the large reptibreeze as I'm worried moisture, water or high humidity mind end up just rotting or killing the wooden vids and that's something I wouldn't want at all lol. So yeh reptibreeze it was I'm also going to try create a drainage system as we'll so it makes it even easier :) really looking forward to crating his new cage, just hope he likes it and it cheers him up as he's not really been the best lately either because he's been ill suffering with a prolapse, taking meds and not eating much but hopefully he will get better soon :)

Back
Top Bottom