Thoughts on cham in the living room?

It's a great looking enclosure, sorry don't mean to be rude at all. Veileds and panthers both get longer than your cage is wide though. I would go for at least 2 feet wide, i think 4 is even better though. Adds more gradients without having to go up and down.

Trial and error DIY cage..lol..we over did it..first time parents..But we have discussed going more wide then up on our next Cage...But what were not gonna do is a DIY again...lol..IM GOING OUT AND BUYING ONE..

Like keeping them in a cage isn't already solitary confinement? I only put it on at night to keep the light in my room from keeping him up and for about 15 minutes after misting sessions to keep humidity up because it seems to go down so quickly (even with live plants). I take him outside everyday for up to 3 hours at a time to get some good natural sunlight. If there was a safer place then he would be there. That's already better than a lot of chams who never see the light of day.
I didn't realize it was only put on there at night. That makes a lot more sense. Ovbiously I misunderstood the original explanation. I thought it was the solution to keep the cats out/off of the cage. I appreciate you taking the moment to set me straight! Thanks!

We're looking at setting up in the living room. Just got the enclosures (got two, using one for now). We're planning on getting a Jackson, and I want the enclosure off the floor. If I can get a 24" stand, the top of the cage would be about 6' off the floor. They're 48"x48"19".

@jannb hey i love your set ups, they inspired me awhile back to eventually do a free range. Do you ever happen to have dogs or cats around, curious how chams handle seeing them every day.

@jannb hey i love your set ups, they inspired me awhile back to eventually do a free range. Do you ever happen to have dogs or cats around, curious how chams handle seeing them every day.

I do have a 15 year old mixbreed. He has been around chameleons just about his entire life. It took me over two years before I trusted him with them. When I wasn't closely supervising he was always outside or closed in a different room. He really never showed much interest in them. Occasionally he'd smell there butt and that was about it. Here's a video of my dog watching my chameleon walk by, well kind of watching.

IMG_1400.JPG

hah nice video, i guess it just takes chams some time to be okay with other animals. Makes sense... I might set up a cage in my living room; wish it could be free range though, but no way with cats :(

I didn't realize it was only put on there at night. That makes a lot more sense. Ovbiously I misunderstood the original explanation. I thought it was the solution to keep the cats out/off of the cage. I appreciate you taking the moment to set me straight! Thanks!

No worries, looking back at my original post I noticed that I could have been more specific so it's easy to see how you would have thought that. My fault. :)

I have chameleons all over my house and it's been that way since I started keeping in 2004. We have trees and condos in every room and they don't seem to mind being around us humans. Some even seem to enjoy it. You can see my setups here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...e-chameleon-condos-with-drainage-pans.146593/

I love your set ups! And that video/ picture! I ended up watching several of the other videos on your channel.

@Angelwolf hah i was thinking similar, imagine people coming over and being like: "what's under the tarp?"... "Stop! You'll upset...him"

LOL!!

I do have a 15 year old mixbreed. He has been around chameleons just about his entire life. It took me over two years before I trusted him with them. When I wasn't closely supervising he was always outside or closed in a different room. He really never showed much interest in them. Occasionally he'd smell there butt and that was about it. Here's a video of my dog watching my chameleon walk by, well kind of watching.

View attachment 181169

So nice to see Luie again.

No worries, looking back at my original post I noticed that I could have been more specific so it's easy to see how you would have thought that. My fault. :)

I love your set ups! And that video/ picture! I ended up watching several of the other videos on your channel.

LOL!!
Same..

View attachment 181169

Love this post. :D My Cham pretty much ignores my dogs as well, but I do not trust my dogs (well one in particular) what so ever. She's a sneeky one. :cautious:

Hey guys, so i have an empty atrium dragonstrand that is just asking to be used. I'd love to have it in my living room, but just thought of something. What about lights at night? You know if you're watching TV, or have a light on, etc. Would this bother them? My panthers are kept in an all dark room at night (except for my computer screen when i have late night school work). Wondering what you all think about this?

Hey guys, so i have an empty atrium dragonstrand that is just asking to be used. I'd love to have it in my living room, but just thought of something. What about lights at night? You know if you're watching TV, or have a light on, etc. Would this bother them? My panthers are kept in an all dark room at night (except for my computer screen when i have late night school work). Wondering what you all think about this?

My Jackson's is not kept awake by the light from a 60" tv which is about 25 feet away, but if any other lights whatsoever are on he doesn't sleep. He is in the kitchen and the family room is connected - kind of one big open room. Luckily he is in the far corner of the kitchen and the tv is on the wall farthest away in the family room. It works but like I said, I have to be careful not to turn on any other lights after he goes to sleep. To be honest if his cage were actually in the family room or any closer to the tv I think it would keep him awake. Of course you could cover the cage at night but that's kind of a hassle - I think you should be prepared for the possibility that you will have to do that though if you go through with this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom