Thoughts on cham in the living room?

My Chams sleep perfectly fine with the tv on. I belive my tv is a 50" (and a very sexy tv). The tv is pointed in their direction but they seem to be fine with sleeping behind cover. So long as the light isn't directly hitting them they are fine.

I've kept my Cham in probably the busiest room of my house his entire life. I'll be honest, we wanted a slice of a rainforest in our living room, we never gave a ton of thought into worrying about the inhabitants well being. Luckily, soon after I set the vivarium up, and was letting the plants and bioactive parts start cycling, I began researching more about the chameleons natural behavior. I was worried there may be too much stimulation, but I was confident I had supplied enough hiding areas where he could feel secure, and still keep an eye on the rest of us. Long story short, he's done great. In fact, he begs to come out when I look into his enclosure. He's done very well around us humans, though my visious chihuahua, he doesn't trust. Luckily for the chameleon, I'm allergic to cats...plus I've never really liked them. I'm sure each individual Cham would adjust differently, I just got lucky.

Hey everyone I wanted to bump this. I am getting a YL Parsons in a couple months. My spare bedroom upstairs gets a little warm in the summer(that's where I keep all of my chams). There is space in there for the Parsons, but I'm worried the temps are slightly too high. My downstairs is perfect temps and has a nice drop at night. My spare bedroom also has a lot of electricity running in it and anymore might be overkill. If everything else fails I have a room I can clean out to separate my Chams, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Would really appreciate the feedback! (Note I have 2 indoor cats, otherwise our house is low traffic and it's just my gf and i most of the time)

1) keep the Parsons downstairs(worried this may be too stressful even if it's pretty quiet? And Idk how they react to seeing cats)
2) move my 3 panthers downstairs(same concern as #1)
3) get a portable AC(worried about humidity and overloading electricity)
4)remodel the other room(it's more of a closed in sunporch, but needs a lot of work)

Since I'm pretty new to the chameleon society everything I do with my chameleons are experimental! I've only had my guy in the livingroom and I use to live with my older sister and my three nieces who were always running around like crazy making tons of noise. I've always thought my guy Shotta was unique as they come because he didn't care what was going on from family parties, loud music, tv, or just kids being kids it did not interrupt his schedule. He adjusted to my lifestyle. As far as human contact goes, lets just say Shotta brought a smile to everyones face he loved!
IMG_7445.JPG

Yeah that seems to be the case as long as they're taken care of and have hiding they seem able to adapt over time. I'd probably be okay with seeing how my panthers would do. I'd love to have the Parsons downstairs, but I'm not familiar with their temperament.

How's your new Ambanja doing?

Yeah that seems to be the case as long as they're taken care of and have hiding they seem able to adapt over time. I'd probably be okay with seeing how my panthers would do. I'd love to have the Parsons downstairs, but I'm not familiar with their temperament.

How's your new Ambanja doing?
Smurf seems to be cool with his little blue self. Tomorrows my day off so I finally get to watch him all day to see what he's into and bond with him! That Parsons is beast! I had to look one up, had never heard of them before. Looks cool though, can't wait to see yours! I must of inspired you to get another chameleon huh?

I'm new to this myself, but I do have mine set up in the living room, and, having not anticipated the problem, I chose a high traffic area. We also have two very large dogs and 4 cats. The cats are very interested, so I've designed his enclosure to sit high enough up that they have to stretch just to get their heads even with the bottom of the cage. The dogs pay him no mind unless he hisses (sounds like a cat I guess ), but even then their interest is short lived.

At first I could tell the animals and humans alike were making him nervous when we were too near (and considering his cage lies along a pathway often traveled, that was a lot). He wouldn't eat unless I sat 10 feet away, for example. I spray the cats with water whenever I see them loitering near the cage, but I'm sure that's only temporary help.

I can tell lately he's feeling more relaxed. He'll eat even when the dogs are right next to him, and also when I'm there next to him, and occasionally i can hold the cup for him, though he won't take a thing from my hand or tweezers, and more often than not will take a lunge at my hand. He seems to stay his regular green shade even when the cats are near, but he's still wary of them. If he's near the bottom he'll retreat to the top if the cats seem to be watching him. Because he's so high he sees all activity below so it seems I've shielded him from them a bit but not the other way around. He's always aware of them. I'm hoping for the best, and so far, it seems, so good. He seems healthy, in good color, and he's eating with gusto.

Back
Top Bottom