THOUGHTS ON BREEDING FEEDERS (CRICKETS TO START)

With your hands!?! :O

They are so tiny I feel like I’m just going to get a handful of soil.

I feed the adults, they're the black ones with wings(cant fly) about the size of a large cricket. I just wear gloves, dig through and grab them haha.

I just started trying to breed crickets too, I have four bins set up to contain different sizes. Looks like it won't be too hard, I watched a lot of YouTube tutorials, but we'll see. I have them in my basement so luckily smell and chirping down there isn't an issue. I have two hundred tadpoles turning into frogs right now so I'm in need of pin head crickets!

I just started trying to breed crickets too, I have four bins set up to contain different sizes. Looks like it won't be too hard, I watched a lot of YouTube tutorials, but we'll see. I have them in my basement so luckily smell and chirping down there isn't an issue. I have two hundred tadpoles turning into frogs right now so I'm in need of pin head crickets!
Nice, ya I also keep mine it basement. Just 1 bin so far, got everything else ready, so Im not scrambling. I try to stay on top of cleaning out bin, so smell is minimal. Chirping doesnt bug me too much, lol. That being said im only dealing with a hundred of em lol

EFE056F3-BCFA-4640-B2E7-4A93A73D0726.jpeg 29D82205-549B-4938-A313-94305E324573.jpeg D3617EDE-C0BB-4717-B0FE-957480A99ECB.jpeg 29D82205-549B-4938-A313-94305E324573.jpeg EFE056F3-BCFA-4640-B2E7-4A93A73D0726.jpeg

Yes, one holds a hoya orchid the other is a holder for a feeder cup, the feeder cup sits right inside perfectly

Nice, thats a good idea for feeders for worms and such, thanks for the idea, lol. I just recylced a few of the larger clear plastic containers that the crickets come in. But I have a lil loop of wire that supports the lip of the cup. Your way seems easier, just plop it in and out eh.

Oh damn!! I posted all these in the wrong spot!! I was trying to show another member what light to use in another thread lol..

If you are still interested in breeding crickets, I put trays of substrate covered in screen in with the adults. Frozen dinner trays work great. Then took the trays out and moved them to a container to hatch. It's easier than removing the adults. Replace with a new tray and start the next batch. Keeps them separated by age as well. I don't do it any more because I'm only 15 minutes away from Rainbow Mealworms and I'm lazy.

If you are still interested in breeding crickets, I put trays of substrate covered in screen in with the adults. Frozen dinner trays work great. Then took the trays out and moved them to a container to hatch. It's easier than removing the adults. Replace with a new tray and start the next batch. Keeps them separated by age as well. I don't do it any more because I'm only 15 minutes away from Rainbow Mealworms and I'm lazy.
I had a question since I'm doing this method as well: how long do you leave container in with adults? Does it need to be kept damp?

We keep ours in for about 2 weeks and we mist it daily. They seem to lay even if its dry but the moisture is for the eggs. Our hatch rate has varied greatly... we try to keep them around 80 degrees and we usually have pinheads anywhere within 2-4 weeks. We keep the old substrate aside and get hatchlings even 6-8 weeks out at room temp.

Back
Top Bottom