This may be a ? for Dooley1, but open to the forum

Kansascity

I read on a site that a male and a female Carpet can be housed together how true is this? I do not by ANY MEANS plan to do such a thing, but was curious as to what the thoughts of the forum is on this subject. Thanks guy’s and gals. Here is the link........http://www.sa-chameleons.com/incubation.html . Yet it clearly states that once the female becomes gravid to separate????:confused: makes no sense, which in fact means to me they should not ever be house together.....

You are correct in your line of thinking. Definitely avoid this scenario. Males will harass the females if they are unreceptive, and females can be extremely defensive. Both males and females will bite each other. If the female is receptive, she will become impregnated quickly by the male anyway and you're back to square one.

They can be kept together for a few days at a time while the female remains receptive. Perhaps that is what the article was implying. I didn't have a chance to look at it yet.

Kevin

You are correct in your line of thinking. Definitely avoid this scenario. Males will harass the females if they are unreceptive, and females can be extremely defensive. Both males and females will bite each other. If the female is receptive, she will become impregnated quickly by the male anyway and you're back to square one.

They can be kept together for a few days at a time while the female remains receptive. Perhaps that is what the article was implying. I didn't have a chance to look at it yet.

Kevin

I just think from reading the information provided on this particular site that it is mis leading to future Cham, and or current carpet owners! Thanks for chiming in ;).

Although I don't recommend keeping most species of chameleon in pairs anyhow...the reason they say to separate the male and female when the female is gravid is that its much too stressful for her to be kept with the male when she's gravid and often ends in the female's health being compromised. IMHO its too stressful to keep them together even when the female isn't gravid.

Back
Top Bottom