This is the best to keep your crickets in!!!

Kamillion

I was having trouble with transporting my crickets from thier bin to my ( bag) for dusting. I went to petco and picked up LEES KRICKET KEEPER for $25 which can house up to 130 medium sized crickets. This thing is the BEST!! The tubs have a clear plastic at each top so you can see how many crickets are in each tube without pulling it out. I bought 100 small crickets the other day and only 2-3 died compared to 20-30 like before. I just pull out the tube place it in the bag and tap the top until enough crickets are in the bag. Not 1 cricket has jumped out on me. Highly recommended.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304864_512661432093655_598719462_n.jpg?dl=1

I have two of them for when I go to a store to pick up crickets between my bulk orders. They have always worked well for small quantities for me. Just not the best for small crickets since they can get out of the slits of top. I was thinking of covering them with screen.

If you cover the slits there won't be any ventilation...which would be okay for a very short while. Instead, try running a strip of double sticky tape all the way around the upper edge (about 1/4 inch from the top)...I found that stopped even the tiny ones.

I too did the tape thing when I kept crickets in smaller numbers. The biggest issue I had with the thing was cleaning the darn tubes! My mom preferred that I kept the crickets in one of those as a kid because I dropped less in the house but we would get a new one every so often because the tubes would get so nasty! Even after we soaked them in hot soapy water for a long time and scrubbed as best we could there would still be cricket poop. It was nice to have the little feeding trays they came with though!

Oh yeah, the tube hole covering flap things would get lost after a while too. Then I had to cover the holes where the flaps inserted or crickets would get out. A little tape did the trick there too.

Even if I cover them with screen? I'm not recommending covering them so there is no air just so that my small crickets wont crawl out. I take all recommendations here as a a way to better my experience.

Even if I cover them with screen? I'm not recommending covering them so there is no air just so that my small crickets wont crawl out. I take all recommendations here as a a way to better my experience.

Try putting q-tips in the bigger holes that they can escape from. That's what many of our customers do to prevent the smaller crickets from escaping!

Or, consider the ExoTerra Cricket Pen, which I have completely fallen in love with since we started carrying it. $10 cheaper than the cricket keeper you got, and they designed it a bit different, so the crickets don't get out through the gaps at all.

Check it out!

-Jen

I also thought that the crickets would climb up the tubes and get out through the vents, but the outside surface of the tube seems to be to slippery for the crickets to climb. I then noticed the inside of the tubes look as if they got a razor and made thousands of slits in the plastic in the inside of the tube so the crickets can get a grip. I even got a few crickets and placed them on the outside of the tube and they just slid right off. Maybe this is an improvement LEES made ....

Back
Top Bottom