This is a no .. There i was kind of story...

MEPOKEU

I was just hiking in the woods.

5139_104369454024_513849024_1823068_2664322_n.jpg

heading up the mountain on a 7 mile hike.

5139_104369479024_513849024_1823073_5833751_n.jpg

Having to cross raging sketchy rivers.

5139_104369474024_513849024_1823072_8167031_n.jpg

on a very rainy day

5139_104369464024_513849024_1823070_2268296_n.jpg

When i see a bluejay knock something out of a tree 30 feet in the air. It comes crashing to the ground with blue jay right behind it. I manage to scare the bluejay off.

and i find this

5139_104369494024_513849024_1823076_8213759_n.jpg

While i and my buddy were standing there debating what to do. The blue jay goes back into the nest and knocks another one out of the nest. He follows it to the ground and is surprised when he gets kicked in the face by me..

So we waited... Put both babies on the ground and continued our hike up the mountain. Two hours later on the way back they were still there.

So now im rehabilitating two baby robins

Awwww-good luck.

So far they are eating like champs.. We are going to build a cage and keep them outside for a few weeks.

Then slowly but surely leave the cage open. Continuing to feed them until hopefully one day they are catching enough food on their own where they wont need to come back

I've heard of people rehabbing birds, some have to eat every 5 minutes and sleep for about 6 hours.

You must have your hands full! Good luck.

You are awesome.. Bet that Bluejay didnt know what hit him! I tried to rehab a baby bluejay once but didnt work out so great..but you have like, the most various collection of critters so Im sure it will do great in your care

How amazing are those pix! Must be beautiful in person where you are!
As for the babies, good thing they are pretty good size. They will be weaned in probably just 2-3 weeks (unless you spoil them hehehe). No every 1-2 hour feedings on them especially since you say they are eating good. Good luck with them! :)

This got me thinking..I wonder if the same thing happened to the babies I had on my deck? They were laid in an nest on my railing and hatched. three days later, poof gone..and we border woods so Im thinking something got to them. Never crossed my mind to go down and search for them.. Ill have to think deeper next time! How are they doing? :)

I have to wonder why the heck the Blue Jay did that. I know there is a species of bird, but forget what it is, that lays eggs in other birds nests. Then when the babies birds hatch the invaders will push the originals out of the nest. But the adult bird doesn't do it.

FYI

Bluejays eat baby birds. He knocked them out to eat em.

We are feeding them cut up worms, wax worms, dog food soaked in water. One of them is jumping around like crazy.

The both are eating well.

But the one that took a 30 foot fall without hitting branches on the way down has been sitting in the heating blanket most of the time. I think we will have to keep him longer then his sibling.

I have to wonder why the heck the Blue Jay did that. I know there is a species of bird, but forget what it is, that lays eggs in other birds nests. Then when the babies birds hatch the invaders will push the originals out of the nest. But the adult bird doesn't do it.
The cuckoo does this....the mother cuckoo will dump her egg in another birds nest and then it(the baby) will push out the other eggs so it can take all the feeding from the mother!

Last edited:
I find this story strange.You save a couple of baby birds and could have killed the adult blue jay by" kicking it in the face" and is possible the blue jay had babies and they could die as a result of the parent dead.Animals kill and eat other animals.We can't pick and choose what they eat like we do with our pets. How is this any different than a snake eating a cute little mouse? Out in the wild we should leave things as nature intended or you will be a very busy person. Just my opinion and no need for anyone to get upset.

Is that Mt.Rainier? I just came back from a work trip in Washington. That state is amazing. I hiked in the Olympics, Mt.Rainier and Snowqumie. The 5 weeks I spent there was amazing. Comming back to So ILL was hard.

Ill share a couple of pics I took there.

This one was taken by my iphone. Mt Rainier...looks similar to the river crossing pic you had taken.
l_7393276251634a7999a53605947412ee.jpg

The Olympics
l_a222204221ee4ec387b9a0fded7fdcc7.jpg

Ruby beach
l_5657772d01914ecea51e82ef0865a07a.jpg

l_6dda6da5ac9a4c28a96ca1d97d526483.jpg

I find this story strange.You save a couple of baby birds and could have killed the adult blue jay by" kicking it in the face" and is possible the blue jay had babies and they could die as a result of the parent dead.Animals kill and eat other animals.We can't pick and choose what they eat like we do with our pets. How is this any different than a snake eating a cute little mouse? Out in the wild we should leave things as nature intended or you will be a very busy person. Just my opinion and no need for anyone to get upset.

So by your logic if a bear tries to eat your kid i shouldnt intervene.
Its just nature...

This story tech isnt any different then a snake eating a cute mouse except that I didnt allow the snake to eat the cute little mouse.

This one was taken by my iphone. Mt Rainier...looks similar to the river crossing pic you had taken.
l_7393276251634a7999a53605947412ee.jpg

That looks exactly like where i was. Is that about a 3/4 north of Longmiere museum. If you crossed the bridge on the hike you would be headed to carter falls.

Back
Top Bottom