Baby female chameleon 5 mos - one eye closed / slit - should I be worried?

I completely understand and it makes me cross. When I got my first chameleon enclosure I told the guy this is not set up for a panther. O no he said this is set up for any chameleon but I said whatever as I was getting a fair price. As you say its not cheap and for some idiot to tell you crap is not nice financially and is not the animals best interests.

I completely understand and it makes me cross. When I got my first chameleon enclosure I told the guy this is not set up for a panther. O no he said this is set up for any chameleon but I said whatever as I was getting a fair price. As you say its not cheap and for some idiot to tell you crap is not nice financially and is not the animals best interests.

Definitely. Really annoying and bad these guys have been selling chameleons for years (a specialty reptile shop - we got a tortoise from them about 20 yrs ago who has had zero issues since the day we got him so thought they'd be more reputable than your average shop). Sadly am disappointed.

For the enclosure, what kind of sealant would you recommend? Anything particularly chameleon friendly?

I've converted a cylinder container into a feeding dish so will start feeding from it tomorrow, which will hopefully be a step in the right direction.

Aquarium sealant. You will need to go round all the vents as they are not really build imo to cope with the misting and humidity.

Morning guys, thanks for all of your input. She's just woken up and both eyes are now open so that's fantastic :) Haven't cancelled the vet's yet as I'm just going to keep monitoring her today but hopefully that's good progress.

Great news! Get your supplements and uvb in order and all should remain well. I do want to mention...are you aware that she will lay eggs regardless of being mated? In another month or so, she’ll become very pretty, showing all of her colors and patterns. She’ll also get restless. This is her receptive phase. It’s at this time that you’ll need to prepare and provide her with a lay bin as she can lay anywhere from a couple of weeks on. A lay bin is just a container at least 30x30x30 cm with play sand of about 20 cm depth. The sand needs to be moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. I recommend keeping it as a permanent part of the enclosure to avoid stress and guessing when it’s needed. You could add some organic soil and put a plant in one corner or it for aesthetics. Just be sure to drill some small drainage holes.

Hi so when get your arcadia t5 6%. Best place is to put in on ceiling not the back and fom corner to corner to get it to fit.As for being able to place more climbing space you could try putting garden trelis on the two sides or even the back also if you wanted and run wooden dowels which you can get from a hardware store . Just to give you an idea
20201202_173150.jpg
20201202_174401.jpg

Hi the correct supplements and light are a step in the right direction. But (sorry) with the uvb light in the enclosure with arcadia recommended distance your girl would have to be around 15 +inches away (with not having any mesh to filter uvb) at 12 inches according to arcadia would be 4.6 . 3 is recommended for a cham. Then getting a basking spot close enough to a heat source without having to much uvb is un realistic. Sorry. The cheapest place to buy a repti breeze is swell reptiles.

Hi and welcome! :) Your husbandry doesn’t look bad except for 2 things that pop out...supplements and uvb.
What brand of supplements are you using? Vitamin A is fat soluble and builds up which can lead to toxicity. It usually isn’t given more than twice per month. The same is true for vitamin D3, which you don’t mention.
Is your uvb a coil bulb or a long fluorescent tube?
Can you post some pics of your chameleon and entire enclosure please?
uhhh what someone told me to dust with vitamin A every day I cant believe I've been doing this for a month, his crest is perfect however it is believed he has puenomia and a swollen tongue

uhhh what someone told me to dust with vitamin A every day I cant believe I've been doing this for a month, his crest is perfect however it is believed he has puenomia and a swollen tongue
I hope you aren’t talking about the Repashy Vitamin A... I would take your cham to an experienced chameleon vet for the Vitamin A overdosing, pneumonia, and tongue ASAP! You can also start your own thread if you want us to go over your husbandry (just fill out the ask for help form in as much detail as possible, including multiple pics of your cham, his full cage- lights to bottom, and his lights)!

Back
Top Bottom