Thick saliva!

ydktdborg

Hi everyone,

In the past few days ive noticed that my male panther chameleon has had really thick saliva. He occasionally blows bubbles out the sides of his mouth and today he's having a bit of trouble grabbing things with his tounge!
i spray him quite a few times a day and i make sure that he gets enough water to drink. I feed him crickets most of the week and once every other week i mite give him wax worms or locusts. I gut load the crickets and i use the suppliments as well.

If anyone has a clue then help would be appreciated!!

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like stomatitis. Stringy saliva when he opens his mouth. Needs a vet to administer antibiotics either orally or a shot maybe both.

Yeh his saliva's quite string. So it could be stomatitis, can that be serious?!? Im hoping that my vet can see him 2moro coz he's only there saturdays and tuesdays!

It can be very serious and almost imposable to get rid of completely. Usually caused by some underling factor or infection stomatitis is considered a secondary infection that if treated is not life threating.

Only a vet can tell you for sure what, if anything, is wrong...all that we can do here is speculate. There can be more than one cause for thick saliva....mouth rot, a URI, etc.

The bubbles to me sounds like URI, it is very treatable with Baytrill or Amicasin (i dont know if i spelt that right). You treat them with 1 subcutaneous shot a day (depending on what your vet recommends) for a period of 2 weeks (again vet recommendation) and it usually knocks it right out.

-Mike

When i give him water the amount of saliva goes down and its only at the sides of his mouth at the back. He doesnt have any unusual things around or inside his mouth, he eats just as much as ever and he loves to drink!

Ive got an appointment at the vet today so i will keep you informed!

Ive been to the vet now and he couldnt say exactly what it is because apart from the thick saliva there are no other signs. He said that the saliva is there probably because of an infection so he's given me antibiotics to give to the cham once a day for 10 days. so hopefully he will get better soon, the vet said that hes not that worried about it and that ive probably caught it early!

Thanks for everyones help!:)

hi, ydktdborg I know this thread is old now but do you think you can provide me a name for the antibiotics given by the vet as my chameleon has exactly the same problem! please help!!

Back
Top Bottom