The Yellow-lip Parson's are starting to hatch...

I'd never jinx a parson keeper!

Now on the other hand, I used to think I've seen it all, but that picture of the smiling dude next to the baby chams is like getting a picture of bigfoot! We have actual proof of a cham pedophile! :eek::ROFLMAO::eek::ROFLMAO::eek::ROFLMAO:

That is a photo of Sam standing next to the baby Yellow Lip enclosures. Sam is taking good care of the babies. They were good size, alert, and moving around. The correlation to a pedophile is not a good one.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Sam

It was an honor and pleasure thanks for allowing me to visit today. The babies are perfect. The last time I got the opportunity to have a look at a newborn Calumma parsonii parsonii was during 1997. Ralph stop trying to jinx things. These are some photo's from my visit today.

FLDmiG.jpg

oqWIdt.jpg

Qfodq1.jpg

1JvPM3.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thank Jeremy for the information and the RECON mission..:cool:
SAM your doing a wonderful job and best wishes with your baby's..(y)

Ok, 39 is the official number of hatchlings. I sorted through the hatching bin and there was one egg left. The cham had pushed a very good-sized tear in the shell, but it couldn't get out. I opened the egg fully and it the cham was deceased--looked like I was 2-3 days late, so I guess nature didn't intend for it to hatch.

Still haven't lost a hatchling [knocking on wood repeatedly]. Some are a little over two weeks old now.

Sam

That is fantastic news and fantastic hatch rate. Wish you the very best with them.

Curiousity question. With adult parsonii needing so much water and longer misting durations, are the neonates the same? Or what's the Schedule you've had them on?

That is fantastic news and fantastic hatch rate. Wish you the very best with them.

Curiousity question. With adult parsonii needing so much water and longer misting durations, are the neonates the same? Or what's the Schedule you've had them on?

Misting has been a bit of an ordeal. I had a new Monsoon on hand that I was able to install for eight of the cages right away, and they mist for 12 seconds once per hour of daylight. Why 12 seconds? Because it's a pre-set level on the dial, and it pretty much soaks everything. Longer than 12 seconds and everything just starts puddling on the floor.

I could write a short book on the frustrating ordeal it's been trying to get two more Monsoon units for the remaining cages. They're en route, finally.

So, in the meantime, I hand-mist 4-5 times per day. Enough to get water droplets on almost all the leaves, on the walls, and on a small section of the screen ceiling.

Near the end of the day, my routine with them is:

1. I do a final thorough hand-misting.
2. A few minutes later I fill a small condiment drip cup for each cage, which drips onto the foliage for 10 minutes or so.
3. After 30 minutes or so I clean and dry all the cage floors.
4. I then add 50 or so melanogaster/hydei fruit flies to each enclosure.

There's plenty of white in their poop, so they seem to be getting decent hydration. Regardless, I'll be happier once the additional monsoon units arrive, since things will be more automated and regular. Although, I've noticed no noticeable advantage the chameleons with the Monsoon are experiencing. They look and act identical to the rest.

Some of them actively drink, and others seem a little disinterested--certainly no sense of urgency. So, to answer your question, no, the babies don't seem to need really long water-drip sessions. I can't speak for anyone else, this has just been my experience over 15 days with them.

Sam

You're doing great Sam. Main thing to remember when tossing in that amount of humidity is ventilation/air flow. Neonates of many species are susceptible to an RI if they have a lot of moisture but not much air flow. You most likely already know that, but I'm just tossing it out. Keep it up!

How can they tell what chameleons are pairs when they are collecting them in the wild? :)
Why are you posting this when the female came in gravid?

I'm a little curious myself??o_O Also what size cage the male in? He look like a big boy..:)

There was some question about the male that she was pair up with on a Facebook group. I decided to post a photo of the male that the female Yellow Lip was paired up with here. To my knowledge collectors in Madagascar are good about keeping Parsonii types/phases pairs or trios collected and to be exported together this go around. This is not the same deal as problems with mixed Panther locales and what female is from where although they are similar deal.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Following! Any updates?

Hopeful near-future Parson's keeper here! I've been reading a lot about this species for the past several weeks and learning a lot from the keepers on this forum. Thanks for such detailed accounts.

Following! Any updates?

Hopeful near-future Parson's keeper here! I've been reading a lot about this species for the past several weeks and learning a lot from the keepers on this forum. Thanks for such detailed accounts.

Yep, after several weeks I've lost just 3 of 39, so I'm still pleased with how things are turning out thus far. Some are growing faster than others. There's definitely no lack of food.

Back
Top Bottom