The Yellow-lip Parson's are starting to hatch...

Sam

I hope you have not got a problem with me posting these on your thread. However these are some photo's of your pregnant/gravid female Yellow Lip Parsonii (the "Mom") who laid this clutch from one of my past visits to your place. She is very plump! I sent some extra photo's of her to your email.

kIgG8e.jpg

rF1XKv.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy I'd appreciate any photographs you have of her for my records--thanks for posting!

Sam

Excellent. Are you housing them in groups or individualy?

I originally was housing them individually in my Dragon Strand baby cages, but I've had to double-up now that so many are hatching in such a short period of time (nine in the last 48 hours). I've got 12 cages set up, and my wife and I are going to build 6-12 more tomorrow (Fri). So, I'll get as many as possible into individual cages. They do seem somewhat aggressive towards each other--some gape their mouths when another baby comes anywhere near them.

I originally was housing them individually in my Dragon Strand baby cages, but I've had to double-up now that so many are hatching in such a short period of time (nine in the last 48 hours). I've got 12 cages set up, and my wife and I are going to build 6-12 more tomorrow (Fri). So, I'll get as many as possible into individual cages. They do seem somewhat aggressive towards each other--some gape their mouths when another baby comes anywhere near them.

I experienced the same with my OE babies. Sounds like you're having a really good hatch with these. You're gonna need more cages :)

Have you successfully raised them with more than one cham per cage? I've never tried raising chams in individual cages until now.

In my conversations with other Parsonii breeders here and in Europe there seemed to be a consensus that babies needed to be kept separately. When I started hatching them I immediately noticed that they made displays towards one another and I separated them. I also think when you house them separately they will grow faster. Of course none of this is set in stone. I have recently seen people housing Parsonii together and also other species of chameleons that I have kept and thought should be kept separately. I guess we just need to keep experimenting and see what works and what doesn't. There are so many people with Parsonii now it think we'll be learning quite a bit more than we have known so far about their care.

I raised all my Parsonii babies separately and saw good growth in my opinion but having 40 baby cages that are big enough to raise them to a good selling size was a big challenge.

I spent some time today putting together 12 more Dragon strand cages with my wife, and now have 24 built. The setup looks nice and uniform--I'll post pictures tomorrow.

So, now nearly all of the chams have their own enclosure. Still haven't lost any, but at the same time I very rarely see them eat. This may be because I keep fruit flies ever-present in their setups and they aren't necessarily hungry each time I add more.

I'm using both melanogaster and hydei, as well as 1/8" crickets. The crickets aren't as ideal right now, though, since they can't climb the sides of the walls and thus are relegated to the floor of the enclosure.

Ok, I spoke too soon.

After I posted I went and checked the incubator and there were eight more babies that hatched since yesterday evening. So, I'm going to have to double-up temporarily in a few enclosures.

The total hatch number is now 34.

Regards,
Sam
How many eggs was laid in the first place??
Congrats on number 34

Ok, I spoke too soon.

After I posted I went and checked the incubator and there were eight more babies that hatched since yesterday evening. So, I'm going to have to double-up temporarily in a few enclosures.

The total hatch number is now 34.

Regards,
Sam

Oh, Thank God, I read the first line and my heart sank...

Glad to see the hatch continues!!!

Sam

I hope you have not got a problem with me posting these on your thread. However these are some photo's of your pregnant/gravid female Yellow Lip Parsonii (the "Mom") who laid this clutch from one of my past visits to your place. She is very plump! I sent some extra photo's of her to your email.

kIgG8e.jpg

rF1XKv.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Wow. Some people get all the luck :ROFLMAO:..beautiful

How many eggs was laid in the first place??
Congrats on number 34

She laid 63 eggs originally. They all looked pretty good--there's a thread here with pictures somewhere.

I decided to test damp sphagnum moss as an incubation medium with ten of the eggs. My considerations were:

1.) Natural anti-bacterial properties (great, right?)
2.) Natural acidic qualities to help break down the egg shell over time, since I had read that many baby Parson's died in the shell because they couldn't get out. One breeder even said he sprayed a fine mist of vinegar on his eggs when they neared hatching to help them get out, so I was trying to be proactive.

Anyhow, it certainly backfired because all ten eggs were toast after about 12-14 months. Some of them had well developed babies inside, and some were just mush.

The rest of the eggs I incubated in vermiculite. I'd say about 10 or so of these eggs perished over the course of incubation. Nothing rotted or molded, ever. They would just shrivel up to nothing. They sure lasted a long time--I don't think I came across any duds for at least a year.

So, while I haven't dug around counting the remaining eggs, there can't be many. 63 original eggs - 20 duds - 34 hatched = perhaps +/- 9 remaining.

What's been most surprising to me is how many have hatched in such a small window of time. I was prepared for a hatching period of several weeks or even months.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom