The Yellow-lip Parson's are starting to hatch...

IMG_9768.jpg

Well done on the hatchings.

Have you weighed any? I for one would like to know the weight of a baby hatched out of the egg.

Your set up looks great, I'd go easy on the UVB. Lots of reasons. Say a 5.0 until they get around 6 months old then maybe up it if you really want to. Supplement it with sunlight once a week if you can. Just a personal thought but I wouldn't sell them until they hit 3 months. As a customer I can say I personally wouldn't spend a ton of money on a cham younger than 3 months, and I'm guessing you'd be asking a ton for those gems. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow! Those babies are so cute!! I love your set ups, too! They are looking great, so far. And congrats on the hatch rate! I can't believe anything could live in an egg for so long, and still survive! Unreal! Can't wait to see the next update!

Well done on the hatchings.

Have you weighed any? I for one would like to know the weight of a baby hatched out of the egg.

Your set up looks great, I'd go easy on the UVB. Lots of reasons. Say a 5.0 until they get around 6 months old then maybe up it if you really want to. Supplement it with sunlight once a week if you can. Just a personal thought but I wouldn't sell them until they hit 3 months. As a customer I can say I personally wouldn't spend a ton of money on a cham younger than 3 months, and I'm guessing you'd be asking a ton for those gems. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep, I weighed one and the digital scale kept going back and forth between 1g and 2g, but stayed mostly on 1g. They're little buggers, no bigger than a Veiled hatchling. Considering how big their eggs got, I thought I'd have some huge babies, but that wasn't the case at all.

I'm using 5.0s, I've actually never used 10.0s before--just saw such good results with 5.0s that I never strayed from them.

I have someone asking for a 10-lot shipped immediately, and I asked, "Wouldn't you rather wait a few weeks?" and he said Parson's grow very quickly and that he's not concerned at all. We'll see I guess--I haven't noticed rapid growth yet.

They look great Sam! I am looking forward to my visit to have a look at the baby Yellow Lips tomorrow. I concur with Ralph I would hold off and sell the babies until they are 3/three months or older.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Wow! Those babies are so cute!! I love your set ups, too! They are looking great, so far. And congrats on the hatch rate! I can't believe anything could live in an egg for so long, and still survive! Unreal! Can't wait to see the next update!

Thanks much, I appreciate it!

Haven't lost any babies yet, and the first ones hatched nearly two weeks ago, so my hope/expectation is there won't be a massive die-off, which is something I've seen with some species. But, I've also never kept baby chams individually before--that's got to be helping. I have no delusions that they'll all make it, but I'm really working to keep losses minimal.

Sam

Well, they grow stronger every day! And I think being raised individually not only makes sense, but is much less stressful on them. I can't believe they were gaping at each other, right out of the egg! If you think about it, after hatching, they would be moving off on their own, in the wild, so they probably wouldn't come into contact with any siblings, again.

Only a gram huh. Hmm. I would have laid money on 2-3g. Learned something new.

Somebody wants a 10 lot already? You're either selling them cheap or they got money to burn. They're your animals so you'll do what you feel is best, but for my .02 since these are quite likely the first yellow-lip hatchlings in the US I'd be a bit more selective with who they get sold to, or at least put the brakes on them being shipped before 3 months. But that's me.

Yep, I weighed one and the digital scale kept going back and forth between 1g and 2g, but stayed mostly on 1g. They're little buggers, no bigger than a Veiled hatchling. Considering how big their eggs got, I thought I'd have some huge babies, but that wasn't the case at all.

I'm using 5.0s, I've actually never used 10.0s before--just saw such good results with 5.0s that I never strayed from them.

I have someone asking for a 10-lot shipped immediately, and I asked, "Wouldn't you rather wait a few weeks?" and he said Parson's grow very quickly and that he's not concerned at all. We'll see I guess--I haven't noticed rapid growth yet.
Whoever this buyer is, sounds like no good. Probably just wants to turn around and sell them for a ton of money, making false claims, and such. Then your poor babies will end up in very poor situations, and this guy won't care how much time and effort you have put into them! I definitely agree with @OldChamKeeper . I wouldn't sell to this guy, unless you are getting one heck of a pretty penny for each of them! And even then, I wouldn't be able to let them go, knowing how much hard work I put into them, and how amazing it is that you even had the success you have! But, like @OldChamKeeper said, they are your babies, and you can do exactly what you want with them. I love seeing the pictures!!

Somebody wants a 10 lot already? You're either selling them cheap or they got money to burn. They're your animals so you'll do what you feel is best, but for my .02 since these are quite likely the first yellow-lip hatchlings in the US I'd be a bit more selective with who they get sold to, or at least put the brakes on them being shipped before 3 months. But that's me.
Wise words.....

Yes, I of course understand where you're coming from regarding their sizes. Plus, as Jeremy mentioned, the larger they are, the more they're worth, so I have a vested interest in getting them bigger and more stable.

Yes, I of course understand where you're coming from regarding their sizes. Plus, as Jeremy mentioned, the larger they are, the more they're worth, so I have a vested interest in getting them bigger and more stable.

Very true. I have a long history in pet retail and fully appreciate the need to make a profit off the animals as a business. Now I'm just a crazy hobbyist. Back when I was like you, having to make sure the money came in to pay the bills, I was still able to offer some perks to our customers (and the animals as a result).

For example, nobody back then ever held the new arrivals for two weeks to make sure they were hydrated and doing well. Pet stores just put them out for sale. We took every new arrival and put two weeks into them before money exchanged hands. The customer base grew as people went home with healthy critters and if they were successful as keepers, the word spread and our base grew.

You establishing yourself as a reputable seller/breeder will make you more $$$$ down the road over the years than if you just make a quick flip here and there. Just look at the Krammers.

Back
Top Bottom