The Veiled Chameleon: an alien invader

Tygerr

Avid Member
I found this interesting presentation by the Maui Invasive Species Committee.

Not only does it highlight the potential risks of allowing an exotic species to establish itself in the wild, but it also gives some insight into the behaviour of Veiled chameleons in the wild.

Like the fact that after re-release into the wild, 2 Veiled chams never travelled more than 80 feet from the point of release - important to note if your cham ever escapes - and also that in the time they were monitored, only one of them went to the ground once - surely an argument against having an elaborate substrate in the cage: they're not likely to use it.

Efforts to control the Veiled Chameleon on Maui

There are Veilds on maui????!!! yesss!!! imma fly on a plane and go hunting for some this weekend!!!! (thats the only way i can have a veiled in hawaii) muahahaha :p
I found this interesting presentation by the Maui Invasive Species Committee.

Not only does it highlight the potential risks of allowing an exotic species to establish itself in the wild, but it also gives some insight into the behaviour of Veiled chameleons in the wild.

Like the fact that after re-release into the wild, 2 Veiled chams never travelled more than 80 feet from the point of release - important to note if your cham ever escapes - and also that in the time they were monitored, only one of them went to the ground once - surely an argument against having an elaborate substrate in the cage: they're not likely to use it.

Efforts to control the Veiled Chameleon on Maui

keij - its a 200k fine if you get busted with that here. you should read the ppt presentation as well, lots of good info in there for you.

Back
Top Bottom