The new habitat for Chameleo "The Fury"

chambabysitter1

So, I showed Chameleo outside enjoying the sun, while Kayleigh and I slaved away on his new cage.

This was the mockup/halfass setup to visualize it.
P1016662.jpg

Here is the finished product.
P1016666.jpg

P1016668.jpg

P1016667.jpg

Cool mist humidifier, gladware dish, with some pipe jimmied and hot glued to wrap around the top. Holes in the pipe distribute the mist evenly on top.

P1016672.jpg

Drainage solution. Some chatters might remember me buying a rabbit pan. It was a bust for the most part, oh well. Some big ugly bricks with a tub worked just as well.

P1016669.jpg

Some of my bonsai pots. Bonsai pots came reccomended to me by Elisa, and I LOVE them. The drainage is excellent, as long as you pack it really really tight. They have nifty feet to prevent feeders from dying under, and they look awesome. Should be an easy to clean bottom for the most part.

P1016670.jpg

The top. A gaggle of branches. I put so many to keep him from walking on the ceiling like he loves to do so much. It was fine before, but now little fatty is getting too big for it, gotta watch those nails too.
There is an 18" Reptisun tube behind the pipe and a basking light in the back. Temps are wacky, I might just switch to a halogena bulb as recommended.

P1016665.jpg

When I first put him in, he held this position for about 10 mins. Deciding if he wanted to climb the ceiling and rostral rub, or just check out his new awesome house.
He hasn't rubbed or gone upside down after that, so I think he's happy.

P1016671.jpg

Example of branch being so close to cieling that he decides to just walk like a normal chameleon.

P1016673.jpg

The end to a very long day for him (and us).

So that is it, completely done. I am gladly taking critiques on the setup.

The only thing that is missing is a proper dripper. I want to get one with a better valve and a hose so I can lead the drops where I want.

The only thing that is missing is a proper dripper. I want to get one with a better valve and a hose so I can lead the drops where I want.
I was going to ask one of my doctor friends to get me one of those 'thingy things' (I have no idea its exact name) that controls drops used for IV's. They are supposed to be super accurate and easy to adjust as it relates to controlling liquid drops.

I was going to ask one of my doctor friends to get me one of those 'thingy things' (I have no idea its exact name) that controls drops used for IV's. They are supposed to be super accurate and easy to adjust as it relates to controlling liquid drops.

Ohhhhh, I know exactly what you are talking about. I always play with those like crazy when I am in the hospital.

My better half's sister is a nurse, I am gonna go hit her up for some thingy things!

Found the official name of the "Thingy Thing". It's the thumbwheel. What's nice is it connects via 1/4" tubing. It should be very easy to hook up to a container using an adapter purchased at any aquarium store.

iv_drip_system.jpg

I got the suggestion during my "Reefer Days" (as in maintaining coral salt water reef tanks) :D. People used the thumbwheel as the mechanism to control drops of calcium (Kalkwasser). The set ups that I saw did not use any other valve.

I just noticed something looking at the picture that may be confusing. The big needle is not the needle that goes in ones arm but into the IV bag. You would want to incorporate the drip chamber and the thumbwheel in the drip system.

I got the suggestion during my "Reefer Days" (as in maintaining coral salt water reef tanks) :D. People used the thumbwheel as the mechanism to control drops of calcium (Kalkwasser). The set ups that I saw did not use any other valve.

Excellent, this is what I wanted to hear. Gonna ask to get one stolen for me now.

Shhhh! dont tell!

looks really good ... i had problems finding a cool mist humidifyer soo i just ordered a mist king off marty... you might wanna check the lights thos if he sits up that high in the top all the time... just so he dont get burnt... and one more thing in the bottom of your cage is that a gold cappella.... or somthing along those lines if so get it out of there asap very poisionis for chams semi poisionous for humans

Still tweaking the light, it'll be a day or 2 until I find the sweet spot, but I have the time.

Both plants are Shefflera Arboricola by the way.

You put a lot of effort into it and it shows. Great job, Chris!

What is the relative humidity in your area? I wonder if it's higher than where I am.

You put a lot of effort into it and it shows. Great job, Chris!

What is the relative humidity in your area? I wonder if it's higher than where I am.

Geez Elisa, you don't have to be so freaking critical!!!!111

Our humidity usually is 40% with the window open. Keeping the lower end of the humidity is actually pretty easy. When it warms up though, the humidifier will be more useful. For now, it isn't much of a necessity. We live far from the beach, but close enough to enjoy the humidity and cool breezes.

chambabysitter,

realy great setup you put together.
I realy like all the hard work you put into the branches.

big question...
how did you suport all the heavy branches?
I see one of them you might have drilled a hole in a beam of the cage, but it seems that some of the brances are suported from the top...???

could you please show some photos of how you suport most of your branches, so I can have a better idea of what I should do for an adult cage setup?

thanks in advance,
Harry

chambabysitter,

realy great setup you put together.
I realy like all the hard work you put into the branches.

big question...
how did you suport all the heavy branches?
I see one of them you might have drilled a hole in a beam of the cage, but it seems that some of the brances are suported from the top...???

could you please show some photos of how you suport most of your branches, so I can have a better idea of what I should do for an adult cage setup?

thanks in advance,
Harry

It would be my pleasure to show you. The branches are mostly held in place with zip ties. I like zipties because they are easy to use, blend well, and are non corrosive. Some are held in place by wedging it between the pot and cage. Keep in mind that you want to be able to take out the pots for cleaning, repotting, etc. So I tried putting branches up accordingly.

P1016681.jpg

The branch in front is kind of an "F" shape. I just used one zip tie, and it held very steady. You can see the plant also supports the top.

The sticks in the pot are wedged in, one is loosely zip tied to keep it steady. The branches up top are tightly zip tied.

P1016676.jpg

Here is a zip tie with another zip looped into it.
The thinner zip ties should wedge right into these metal screens. So once you remove them, you can take a thumbtack and bend them back for the most part. As long as you zip tie into the frame, itll hold very solid.

P1016677.jpg

Some branches, I just let gravity do the work. In this one, I unscrewed the top frame, and then looped the zip tied inside just one frame, where the top and the side meet, then screwed it close again. More secure and visually appealing, but I was too lazy to do it with all of them.

Also, one of my favorite tricks is from Elisa, who got it from Steve Sims, who got it from his brain I suppose.
http://www.chameo.org/husbandry.html
Thumbacks using the screen as support. Genius. Be sure to use 2 on each side or you'll have a rolling log. My lower branch uses this. Don't do it to too many, or in an area they will be hard to move. Water makes wood expand, and when it expands around that thumbtack, it can be hard to remove at times.

Remember think; can I still take these plants out for a weekly clean with these branches? That was the mistake of my juvenile cage.

Good luck, it took longer than I thought, but it wasn't too hard. I got the branches from an avocado tree and another misc tree. Scrubbed with diluted bleach, rinsed well, sun dry. Peel any bark that comes off easily. Done!

P1016678.jpg

Loves his cage, hates me, ahahaha.

wow thanks...:D
you showed the best pics for ansering my questions.

I didn't realise that the screens were strong enough to suport such heavy branches...I'll have to try some of your ideas.

again, big thanks

Harry

wow thanks...:D
you showed the best pics for ansering my questions.

I didn't realise that the screens were strong enough to suport such heavy branches...I'll have to try some of your ideas.

again, big thanks

Harry

Yeah, the frames are rock solid because it is more like 2 frames screwed together. 1 for each side.

As long as you got some nice heavy pots to keep the base really sturdy, it should keep the entire thing really steady.

Glad I could help.

It looks really good :D I like how you thought on the setup its what i would do :) And the schefflera's i love em the most :cool:
Thank you for the compliments, I definitely put thought into it. Adjusting the branches here and there until I saw them making it nice for him, and for me to clean.

Really wanted to go with one cohesive plant, but I have experience with the sheffs so far, so I like them too. They match well with the pothos too, very green!

Last edited:
What are the exact plants you have inside? whats the one in the pot at the bottom?
I guess it's a schefferella plant but do you know the exact one??

Great setup BTW. Good work. Looking forward to finishing mine now! :p

Back
Top Bottom