The highes and lows of Cham ownership in 24hrs

clarkrw3

So today was to be a super exciting day. I have been preparing for two new additions to the family today and have been setting up cages and getting things just perfect for them.
We were to get a baby male BB Ambilobe from the Kammers as well as Gargamel a male 13 mo. old Blue Ambanja that many of you know from a member on the board.
The baby arrived yesterday like clock work at my office before 9am and even though I had to leave him in his cup till I got home from work the Kammers insisted on having him delivered on thursday and that he would be just fine in till the evening (I am SOOO glad for this as you will find out in a min) He looked happy and health and was sleeping all with a curled up tail when I opened the package. Once home I let him crawl out and left him alone till lights out at 7pm. This morning after he had been awake for a good 30 min I offered him some crickets by the end of the day he ate 6 which he started taking from tongs and then 5 baby silk worms a baby horn worm and a baby superworm. All on the first full day in his cage. I am super happy!!! he has been drinking off leaves and the screen and seems happy and super adjusted considering he is young and all he had been though the day before. For dinner he cup fed...no problem!!

Now to the lows...Gargamel who was coming via fedex to my house this morning. The whole day was planned around his arrival and my son spent the morning at the front window waiting for him to come. Well as 11am came and went I called Fedex and had them call the driver to find out where he was...just running a little late be there in less then 30min... again at 12,1, and 2 and the fedex guy found his way to my house at 2:10pm and in AZ it's hot by then and in the back of a box truck it's really hot!!! When he handed me the box it was hot. We opened it to see our worst fears....poor Gargamel had not made the trip alive! I am so sad...mad (at FedEx)...and sorry for my kids, the previous owner, and myself. What a beautiful amazing creature to die so early.

Oh my gosh, I am SO very sorry to hear that about that beautiful Ambanja. I had conversed with the owner back and forth a few times about possibly purchasing him. I know she wanted him to go to the best of homes. I am sure she is heartbroken as you are too. I cannot imagine opening up the box and finding that he had passed away. That is just the sadest story. On another note, I am glad your other cham arrived safe and sound. I have a Kammer cham also and I am sure you will be happy with your new little one. Congrats on that. What an emotional roller coaster you must be on today. Again, so sorry for your loss. Is there anything Fedex is willing to do?

Oh my gosh, I am SO very sorry to hear that about that beautiful Ambanja. I had conversed with the owner back and forth a few times about possibly purchasing him. I know she wanted him to go to the best of homes. I am sure she is heartbroken as you are too. I cannot imagine opening up the box and finding that he had passed away. That is just the sadest story. On another note, I am glad your other cham arrived safe and sound. I have a Kammer cham also and I am sure you will be happy with your new little one. Congrats on that. What an emotional roller coaster you must be on today. Again, so sorry for your loss. Is there anything Fedex is willing to do?

Thanks, I am sure that fedex will refund money...as if that really does anything! I just don't understand when I told them it was a live animal at 11am and that there was a real chance that the animal could die if not delivered rally soon due to the temps in the truck. They had contact with the drive told him that and still.....nothing till 2pm! I just really don't understand it.

I would be so upset. He was one of the nicest ambanjas I have ever seen! My heart is broken for you and especially the previous owner. My gosh, how did you tell her? She must have been so upset. I know she hated to sell the chams but was moving to Italy I think and could not take them. And you are right, the money is nothing and is not going to bring him back.

....i'm with you....just heartbroken and angry and feel so helpless in all of it...when you take every precaution to make sure, short of driving them there yourself......and as far as we can tell fedex will only cover the actual shipping cost....but then again, no cost covers the fact that he suffered through that... :(

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it's always a terrible thing. Good luck with your new little guy!

Sorry about your loss, Its amazing how such a small creature, that we never met or only had the pleasure of meeting for a short while, can touch our hearts so deeply, I had a female jackson that i rescued, that died recently, had her to the vet and all and just couldnt save her, plus she was pregnant to boot. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it's always a terrible thing. Good luck with your new little guy!

Thanks...he seems to be doing great. Didn't seem to have the appetite today as yesterday but still ate three 2+ wk crickets and two silk worms so I would say he is still doing well.;)

....i'm with you....just heartbroken and angry and feel so helpless in all of it...when you take every precaution to make sure, short of driving them there yourself......and as far as we can tell fedex will only cover the actual shipping cost....but then again, no cost covers the fact that he suffered through that... :(
The shipping shouldn't even be a contest since they didn't meet there guaranteed time frame...but I would at least think they would cover the insured amount due to damaged (dead) goods:mad:

O man that is so sad!! =( Im sorry that fedex has some employees that are INCOMPITENT! I really hope your little guy that did arrive safely can bring you joy and try to make up for your pain. =(

Highs and lows....glad you got one doing well, you must just have been unlucky with the other. how long was it travelling for?

The shipping shouldn't even be a contest since they didn't meet there guaranteed time frame...but I would at least think they would cover the insured amount due to damaged (dead) goods:mad:
fedex nor shipyourreptiles guarantees live delivery for any type of animal - that's all under that "you take the risk" category....

what really amazed me was that he was at the san diego office for as long as he was when the other two shipments left within a couple hours...but i agree, with the overnight temps and everything, i think it was most likely those last 3-4 hours when it got really hot there...AFTER the original delivery time..... :(

I would say all in all probably 22 hrs but I think the final 3 where the problem

Well the longer the riskier, but if it was healthy to begin with then it shouldn't die. I don't know how reliable Fedex claim to be but I've seen Castaway, and they've probably got some silly marketing going on. Anyway, commiserations again and good luck for future lows outweighed very considerably by the highs.

Oh sorry Rob! That is a real bummer! I have had a bad experience or two shipping chams. You were completely correct in proactively receiving the shipment but man! Sometimes there is just nothing we can do. Hope your new one grows really fast and you start seeing those awesome colors!

For the future, i have read about people having their live packages sent to the Fedex facility near by for YOU to pick up so it doesnt sit around in a hot truck.

Back
Top Bottom