The Concerns About the Recent Cameroon Imports

Nubby is one tough SOB! He eats pretty consistently takes in a lot water, and strangely enough likes to bask in the direct sun when temps allow, (unlike my other quads) never hides out in the foliage, but would rather hang out at the top of the cage in the bare branches. I'll do a fecal on him after the next dose of panacur. My feeling is he's going to make it-in spite of his previous treatment. All this with him weighing in at 15g..

Nubby is one tough SOB! He eats pretty consistently takes in a lot water, and strangely enough likes to bask in the direct sun when temps allow, (unlike my other quads) never hides out in the foliage, but would rather hang out at the top of the cage in the bare branches. I'll do a fecal on him after the next dose of panacur. My feeling is he's going to make it-in spite of his previous treatment. All this with him weighing in at 15g..

Nubby will out live us all. Usually, the first thing a quad does when it gets out of the bag is go and hide. The first thing that little guy did when he crawled out of the bag was to sit on his stick in plain sight, puff himself up, and flash his brightest colors. There be attitude on that one!
I had the skin lesion surgically removed by my vet and sent to the lab for analysis. The results came back as fungal in nature. I have another male that has the same thing and I am working with the vet as to the best treatment (topical or oral). I'll report back. Has Nubby had any more fungal "mounds" appear?

Bill

Resolution with the Quad Import Group

Let me enter the discussion again.

Everything has been worked out to my satisfaction. Craig was more that willing to meet half way. They are imports, and he is an importer. Very few of the chams he sold to anyone have been lost that I am aware of.

I think we all need to take a step back. I bought quads, I have quads. That is all I can ask or expect.

For those who have been following this thread and are interested in how it ends,
I received a second smaller group from the importer of some very nice animals that filled in the holes in my and Laurie's breeding groups. With more detail as to what we were trying to accomplish with our quad program he became very supportive. The importer was quite impressed with what the chameleon community was trying to accomplish and thought that, with the organization he had seen, we had a fighting chance for some success. We really shouldn't expect an importer to care much for where the animals went or what happen to the animals once they arrived alive (the point where your standard importer's job ends). But, for our project, this one made a very generous offer on the remaining members of the import which we happily agreed to. Further, I got a surprise when the shipment arrived when I found that he had added in more than we had paid for.

And that concludes this episode. In the end our heroes are happy. Laurie has led a successful acquisition of a large quad breeding group installed at multiple locations across the US. Nubby continues to be the scrappy underdog rising star. And those precious quad eggs are starting to make appearances. Is all well in Quad land? Perhaps our cast may rest easy tonight, but there lurks the evil fungal infection that nefariously hitched a ride into town. And there is still hydration and body mass building that must happen. Gravid females face their first egg laying after import. Tune in to the next episode of "As the Quad Turns" and see the continuing adventures!

Bill

:p YAY !!!! so happy all worked out - you guys are doing an amazing WODERFUL thing :D - Bill, you are silly, and made me also laugh :)

Oh no!! I have never been the soap opera type, but a quad soap will hook me. Are we going to see pictures of all the stars soon? Will you have names so we know who is who?

Really, Bill you are a life saver. Take good care of the childern.:):D

For those who have been following this thread and are interested in how it ends,
I received a second smaller group from the importer of some very nice animals that filled in the holes in my and Laurie's breeding groups. With more detail as to what we were trying to accomplish with our quad program he became very supportive. The importer was quite impressed with what the chameleon community was trying to accomplish and thought that, with the organization he had seen, we had a fighting chance for some success. We really shouldn't expect an importer to care much for where the animals went or what happen to the animals once they arrived alive (the point where your standard importer's job ends). But, for our project, this one made a very generous offer on the remaining members of the import which we happily agreed to. Further, I got a surprise when the shipment arrived when I found that he had added in more than we had paid for.

And that concludes this episode. In the end our heroes are happy. Laurie has led a successful acquisition of a large quad breeding group installed at multiple locations across the US. Nubby continues to be the scrappy underdog rising star. And those precious quad eggs are starting to make appearances. Is all well in Quad land? Perhaps our cast may rest easy tonight, but there lurks the evil fungal infection that nefariously hitched a ride into town. And there is still hydration and body mass building that must happen. Gravid females face their first egg laying after import. Tune in to the next episode of "As the Quad Turns" and see the continuing adventures!

Bill

Fantastic news and attitude!

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out well.

What did the vet prescribe to treat the fungal infection?

< Bursts out his front door wearing Rambo fatigues, a bear skin cape, a hatchet in his hand a RPG strapped across his back >

I'm ready! , wait whut? I gotta put away all my toys? I was ready for fight. The Quad collective was going to war on a closet budget.

Aww ok. Back to the cave.

Considering the skin of a cham doesn't absorb topicals well you need an oral med for that fungus. Also things like that are best treated as if they are systemic and the oral meds will also cover that.

Oh no!! I have never been the soap opera type, but a quad soap will hook me. Are we going to see pictures of all the stars soon? Will you have names so we know who is who?

Ha ha, agree! I hate soap opera's... but this ones turning out to be a cracker. :D Can't stop watching. Lol!

Good luck to all involved with the project, really hope it works out.

I have a question for those that have the quads from this shipment.

How active in their cages are they?

I am unfamiliar with the species, and when I spoke to Cheryl on the phone about worming we talked about how slowly mine moved. I didn't see him move, he just sort of flowed very, very slowly.

Well, I've now discovered what looks like a broken leg that you can't see unless you turn him over. I had been noticing he was resting one hind leg but couldn't find any swelling and he seemed to use it normally except when he was basking or resting on a perch, he would lean away from that side and drape the leg down.

Yesterday, I finally picked him up and found quite a lot of swelling to the femur high up near the hip joint. It looks like an old injury, with it being thickening of the bone without soft tissue swelling, but I didn't spend much time looking as it was quite stressful for him.

Today he is resting with that leg stretched out, almost as if he is putting traction on it. Picture attached.

I had attributed his not moving around much and moving incredibly slowly to a species trait. Others who have the species tell me they move very slowly. Now I'm not so sure that's the only thing going on.

How much do the other quads from that shipment move around their cage?

Attachments

• 20150117_133147.jpg
    20150117_133147.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 179
Mine move around all day long. I'm not saying they move at mach 1 but I rarely see them in the same spot an hour later.

Mine tends to sit in one spot, moving around the top of his cage; however, I've since found an injury.

It looks, to my uneducated eye, as if it could be a dislocation at the hip joint. If I was sure it was just a fracture, I'd let it be and have him heal up on his own, but if it is a dislocation? I kinda think the vet needs to take a picture.

I've made an appointment for Thursday and will get x-rays done. I might be able to push for an earlier appointment. The vet is out today and he's booked up. I spoke to the vet tech and she is pretty sure that she can get an x-ray without having to knock him down, which I don't think I'll agree to.

Can some of the experienced people give me some advice on how much treatment he can stand? My fear is the cure will kill him from stress.

This morning he was crawling up the screen, so I got some good shots of his ventral side. It's his right leg.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how much doctoring I should think of doing. I'm terrified the cure will stress him to death. By the same token, chronic pain is very stressful as well.

Attachments

• 20150119_113326.jpg
    20150119_113326.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 213
Let me enter the discussion again.

Everything has been worked out to my satisfaction. Craig was more that willing to meet half way. They are imports, and he is an importer. Very few of the chams he sold to anyone have been lost that I am aware of.

I think we all need to take a step back. I bought quads, I have quads. That is all I can ask or expect.

Bill

Good to hear/read that an arrangement was worked out and that your group had some issues resolved and amends made with this importer. The situation that happened from the start was not acceptable.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom