The Concerns About the Recent Cameroon Imports

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
The is a continuation about the concerns that have been brought up about the recent Cameroon shipment. They were somewhat misplaced and on another thread. This is a more appropriate place to continue the conversation here from where we left off.

If the importer does actually bring in shipments from Cameroon once a year of the 5 species Trioceros quadricornis, Trioceros montium, Trioceros cristatus, Trioceros pfefferi and as he has labeled Trioceros wiedersheimi (Possibly Trioceros serratus or Trioceros perreti I have not seen the species). He should be taking care of his best clients for this order enough said. If he is giving his best clients the worst or B grade chameleons who pay top dollar or intend to stay as return clients I would recommend having a talk owner.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Just to add to the discussion, he had both Trioceros perreti and Trioceros serratus .

Chase

Chase

Thanks. That makes possibly 6 or 7 species. Was Trioceros wiedersheimi apart of this import or was it just Trioceros perreti and Trioceros serratus? As well the breeding collaboration program for Trioceros quadricornis. Did you acquire any other species to start a breeding program for (Trioceros montium and Trioceros cristatus) or are you just going to breed Trioceros quadricornis?

I eventually got to acquire a female Trioceros pfefferi to pair with my male.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chase

Thanks. That makes possibly 6 or 7 species. Was Trioceros wiedersheimi apart of this import or was it just Trioceros perreti and Trioceros serratus? As well the breeding collaboration program for Trioceros quadricornis. Did you acquire any other species to start a breeding program for (Trioceros montium and Trioceros cristatus) or are you just going to breed Trioceros quadricornis?

I eventually got to acquire a female Trioceros pfefferi to pair with my male.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I decided to work with T. perreti (or serratus, haven't gotten them yet), because I was hearing too much bad things about the quadricornis from this shipment, and they were a little out of my price range. I'm hoping to work with Mike, and hopefully we can get multiple bloodlines of captive bred "peacock".

I'm not sure if there are T. wiedersheimi coming in. I thought once T. perreti was elevated and T. serratus was resurrected, that replaced T. wiedersheimi?

Oh, also Rhampholeon spectrum came in too.

Chase

I decided to work with T. perreti (or serratus, haven't gotten them yet), because I was hearing too much bad things about the quadricornis from this shipment, and they were a little out of my price range. I'm hoping to work with Mike, and hopefully we can get multiple bloodlines of captive bred "peacock".

I'm not sure if there are T. wiedersheimi coming in. I thought once T. perreti was elevated and T. serratus was resurrected, that replaced T. wiedersheimi?

Oh, also Rhampholeon spectrum came in too.

Chase

Chase

Thanks. This thread I was not addressing programs directed towards the Rhampholeon genus or Pygmys chameleons. I was addressing programs for the larger West African Trioceros genus. Although if someone wants to start a long term breeding program to make Rhampholeon spectrum commercially available to hobbyist I won't stand in their way.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chase

Thanks. This thread I was not addressing programs directed towards the Rhampholeon genus or Pygmys chameleons. I was addressing programs for the larger West African Trioceros genus. Although if someone wants to start a long term breeding program to make Rhampholeon spectrum commercially available to hobbyist I won't stand in their way.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I was going to pick some up too, but I gotta bring the goats to the vet and get some medicine for them, so the spectrum went on the back burner. I'd be interested in hearing from people who got cristatus, pfefferi and montium to hear how their experience was with this shipment

Chase

I was going to pick some up too, but I gotta bring the goats to the vet and get some medicine for them, so the spectrum went on the back burner. I'd be interested in hearing from people who got cristatus, pfefferi and montium to hear how their experience was with this shipment

Chase

Chase

Goats?!? There is no goats on these Forums or if there are there not many who talk about them.

I am interested about the other species other keepers picked up too. Other than Trioceros pfefferi and a couple other species of Trioceros I am mostly interested in Madagascar species, at this time.

How many pairs of Trioceros perreti or Trioceros serratus did you end up acquiring?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Chase

Goats?!? There is no goats on these Forums or if there are there not many who talk about them.

I am interested about the other species other keepers picked up too. Other than Trioceros pfefferi and a couple other species of Trioceros I am mostly interested in Madagascar species, at this time.

How many pairs of Trioceros perreti or Trioceros serratus did you end up acquiring?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Just one for now. Hoping to get more once I get all of my books for the semester, and get the goats taken care of

Chase

Does anyone have knowledge of the montiums included in this shipment?

And am I to understand that this importer plans/hopes to bring in triceros species from Cameroon annually?

For some time, I have been interested in acquiring multiple pairs of montiums, if and when the species was ever imported again. So, I was excited to see the ad on Kingsnake for montiums. But of course, the shipment came at the worst possible time, since my wife and I are preparing to move across the country at the end of January, and therefore this is not a month when I can provide WC animals a stable environment to acclimate them.

And am I to understand that this importer plans/hopes to bring in triceros species from Cameroon annually?

For some time, I have been interested in acquiring multiple pairs of montiums, if and when the species was ever imported again. So, I was excited to see the ad on Kingsnake for montiums. But of course, the shipment came at the worst possible time, since my wife and I are preparing to move across the country at the end of January, and therefore this is not a month when I can provide WC animals a stable environment to acclimate them.

Mike

There were two imports from Cameroon only one was posted on Kingsnake. The one that was not posted was the one most people to my knowledge acquired there chameleons from. I can PM you the contact information about the other retailer. Good to hear you want to keep/breed Trioceros montiums.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I was the sad person with my quads. I had hope of breeding soon but getting adults (??) at 8 gram and 12 gram is going to set me back a good bit.

If you have contact info I could use, I would Love a pm

The montium came in pretty beat up, like the quads. I was going to get a pair or two until I saw the pictures of them. :(

There actually is a third guy who got some. He's asking a little more than the other importers, but to me, his stuff looked better.

Chase

The Western Quad Lineup

Here are some representatives of the shipment that was sent to the Western half of the quad breeding coalition. Fecals showed heavy nematode load. External parasites included bright red critters.
86304CDC-7873-42F0-8357-B7AE76CD798B_zps7ca6f1wq.jpg

And a skin ailment which I have had removed and sent to the lab for identification.
1093C949-E366-481E-B20E-1592F407FEF0_zpspmmdlpoa.jpg

The largest male. (Kinked tail is healed)
1AD8E0CE-35C8-49AC-93ED-19F6682C1E5E_zpsxbwdrr7v.jpg

Male (kinked tail is healed)
286C70BC-FB2A-490B-9616-486B4EB94564_zpsy9uithlu.jpg

Male sent as female (horns were rubbed off). Healthy and vigorous other than that.
C2AA1C80-39C1-45AB-B73B-68D1CF87DF29_zpsnqypzr20.jpg

Female (that died)
F517F49B-4A4B-4D85-B0AC-FE23EFFD5141_zpspi0otsp0.jpg

Blue sided Male
0BC83376-574B-404F-B224-823C6C9B2A6F_zpsvdnhivos.jpg

Healthy female
32003B4A-4A53-48F4-B044-74088662AE9B_zpsp2e9nhkx.jpg

Male
B3FEF65E-45B1-4E00-AC1D-6619433295D8_zpsoodswawb.jpg

They look really beat up. I hope you can acclimate them and they do well for you. Makes me really miss my quads

Chase

Wish I had been aware of the quads and montiums coming in ahead of time. I would have made some different chameleon purchase choices in November and December. I bred both in years past.

Do they come in about the same time every year?

Laurie- size is a two edge sword. On the one hand they may not be ready to breed, on the other they may do better long term and be around longer for breeding than the large ones. Unless it is just low body weight, then that really is sad but you may be surprised how quickly they can bounce back once the survivors are de-parisitized and hydrated.

Considering the fact that these animals are exported less often, their condition in the photos is very dissapointing. Seems like with fewer going out, the exporters could take better care of them. These have obviously been in the hands of an ignoramus somewhere in Africa too long...

I picked up 2.3 peacocks. I believe they are all T. perreti, but not 100 percent sure. Too busy to really try to figure it out right now. Just trying to get them plenty of food and water. I'm dealing with one sleepy one that is getting special attention. It is trying to give up, but I'm not letting it.

I'll get some photos up when I can. With holiday business rush and other commitments I'm doing 80 hour weeks right now.

Wish I had been aware of the quads and montiums coming in ahead of time. I would have made some different chameleon purchase choices in November and December. I bred both in years past.

Do they come in about the same time every year?

Laurie- size is a two edge sword. On the one hand they may not be ready to breed, on the other they may do better long term and be around longer for breeding than the large ones. Unless it is just low body weight, then that really is sad but you may be surprised how quickly they can bounce back once the survivors are de-parisitized and hydrated.

Considering the fact that these animals are exported less often, their condition in the photos is very dissapointing. Seems like with fewer going out, the exporters could take better care of them. These have obviously been in the hands of an ignoramus somewhere in Africa too long...

I think Bill and Laurie's group is so disappointed because I walked into the store the day after they arrived and arranged to buy a young male that the store would keep to make sure he had acclimated to captivity. I'm a novice and I needed to get things set up for him with a cage that could cope with his high humidity requirements.

I picked mine up two days ago. He hasn't had nearly the attention and care that Bill's have received. Granted, he didn't get shipped another time--I drove to pick him up.

Here's a picture of mine from the same shipment, picture taken this morning. The shipper could easily have shipped mine to Bill and Laurie's group and kept back one of the more beat up ones for me.

Attachments

• 20150101_101338.jpg
    20150101_101338.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 271
Back
Top Bottom