The Concerns About the Recent Cameroon Imports

Hey I just figured out that you are talking about the shop down the street from my house. That guy sold me my panther George as an ambanja, but he turned out to be sambava. He is a young kid. When I tried to offer him care sheets or help a while back he attacked me for even considering that he might not be an expert in all things reptile. That was the only time I set foot in that shop, he had a tank packed with sail fins and they were walking around on top of a dead one. He said it wasn't dead, like I'm blind.

Anyway, hopefully he is learning and made you a decent deal Laurie.

Let me enter the discussion again.

Everything has been worked out to my satisfaction. Craig was more that willing to meet half way. They are imports, and he is an importer. Very few of the chams he sold to anyone have been lost that I am aware of.

I think we all need to take a step back. I bought quads, I have quads. That is all I can ask or expect.

I am THRILLED you have been satisfied. I went in today to see if your group had changed their minds over the female. I was both disappointed and very happy that she has gone/is going to Bill. If Bill hadn't taken her, I would have.

I hope your group in Ohio are doing better after the trip from Kentucky.

Everything has been worked out to my satisfaction. Craig was more that willing to meet half way. They are imports, and he is an importer. Very few of the chams he sold to anyone have been lost that I am aware of.

I think we all need to take a step back. I bought quads, I have quads. That is all I can ask or expect.

Glad it all worked out. Now we can put Quad fiasco to bed.

that is wonderful news , glad he made it right with you and the " Quad squad " :)

Perhaps you would like to retract the post you made just one hour ago.

As you pointed out in that previous post, that as a business owner yourself, "we all know a bad word travels much faster than a good one...."

You understand that by writing and publishing things like "this person SCREWED my friends" might have a direct effect on a person's livelihood. Yet, 30 minutes after you published that, your friend posts that all has been settled to her satisfaction.

Personally, I'm astounded that people who are not privy to any of the agreements or conversations posted anything on a public forum.

You do realize that includes you too right? ;)

Touche!

I think my comments tended to be restricted to my own personal experiences and not hearsay.

I'm just really happy it all worked out. Imports are a crap shoot to begin with and an importer only has to sell what he has received. Their quality is often dictated by the exporter. I'm just really thankful that there are many who now have fresh stock to work with to develop a captive breeding population so that there won't be as many beat-up shipments landing on our shores.

Touche!

I think my comments tended to be restricted to my own personal experiences and not hearsay.

I'm just really happy it all worked out. Imports are a crap shoot to begin with and an importer only has to sell what he has received. Their quality is often dictated by the exporter. I'm just really thankful that there are many who now have fresh stock to work with to develop a captive breeding population so that there won't be as many beat-up shipments landing on our shores.

Sorry and no offense is intended but..... !!!!!!!!!!!
It is THE IMPORTERS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THEY GET QUALITY ANIMALS..... That's it end of story!!!!!!!! This is not meant to be in any way about this peticular import but just a general statement. If a importer has to hold animals until they are in good shape or sell them at a significant discount then so be it!!!!!!!!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!
This is just my humble opinion.
Steve

Perhaps you would like to retract the post you made just one hour ago.

As you pointed out in that previous post, that as a business owner yourself, "we all know a bad word travels much faster than a good one...."

You understand that by writing and publishing things like "this person SCREWED my friends" might have a direct effect on a person's livelihood. Yet, 30 minutes after you published that, your friend posts that all has been settled to her satisfaction.

Personally, I'm astounded that people who are not privy to any of the agreements or conversations posted anything on a public forum.

no, I chose not to - when I held a baby cham that should have never been shipped that small, that sick- and it passed away in my hand- then had to send a pic of the dead little body to Laurie, knowing its just one more thing for her to deal with- no, I think I will chose to leave my post how it is- he is good to have made things right - but that is only doing the right thing- fixing a wrong that really should have never happened in the first place - and dont twist things - as you said - I posted what I said BEFORE she posted , so at that time- it was what it was - and as far as my word as a business person , my art has sold all over the world, so Id say, its a pretty good word ;)

no, I chose not to - when I held a baby cham that should have never been shipped that small, that sick- and it passed away in my hand- then had to send a pic of the dead little body to Laurie, knowing its just one more thing for her to deal with- no, I think I will chose to leave my post how it is- he is good to have made things right - but that is only doing the right thing- fixing a wrong that really should have never happened in the first place - and dont twist things - as you said - I posted what I said BEFORE she posted , so at that time- it was what it was - and as far as my word as a business person , my art has sold all over the world, so Id say, its a pretty good word ;)

So sorry you had to go through this Cheryl. Let me know if you still need bugs, I have plenty. Poor little things.

I was talking to Bill earlier. I'm glad something did come out of that long conversation he had face to face with the guy while he was out here at the show in Pomona. If the guy changes his way of doing things then some good came out of this besides the initial lesson that this thread was teaching. We'll see what Bill says about the animals when he gets them tomorrow.

I second this.

I've held my tongue until now. I was involved with the upfront money, but was out of town when the shipment came in. I relied on people I trust and pictures to assess the quality and health of the imports provided to us. It was not a pretty picture with a just few exceptions. I agree with Steve McNary, it is up to the importer to demand quality or find another exporter. These quads were represented as farmed animals- they are the furthest thing from farmed animals. I presume they were illegally caught and transported across the border to a country that could export them as farmed (as has been noted in this thread Camaroon doesn't export quads). The unacceptable and extremely rough treatment of these quads was due to the illegality of their transport. Initially the fault lies with the exporter. The importer has expressed interest in getting another shipment next year. Now comes the hard part: are we as a chameleon community going to support these people and their practices because we so badly need the bloodlines? We are the bottom line!

I feel a little taken advantage of, a little stupid, and a little hypocritical. I guess that comes with the territory when one deals with these wonderful exotic creatures.

The unacceptable and extremely rough treatment of these quads was due to the illegality of their transport. Initially the fault lies with the exporter. The importer has expressed interest in getting another shipment next year. Now comes the hard part: are we as a chameleon community going to support these people and their practices because we so badly need the bloodlines? We are the bottom line!

I feel a little taken advantage of, a little stupid, and a little hypocritical. I guess that comes with the territory when one deals with these wonderful exotic creatures.

Bob it's good to see you chime in buddy. You summed up how I have felt from the very beginning of my posts on this topic and even touched on the "why" I did start posting. For some my posts were a learning experience, to others a warning, and lastly I was hoping that perhaps this might help change the way a new importer was doing business with us as community. He clearly didn't value us as a customer with his early decisions.

I only offer that since a few folks actually asked me "why did you come out of your cave over this?" I may go back to just lurking. By the way I'm happy to hear you took in Nubby. I think he's a jewel in the rough.

Hey Ralph, when do you sleep?

Sleep? WTF is that? I work night shifts and night shifts are either super busy or super slow with nothing in between the two for me.

Keep an eye on Nubby. We are coming up on that critical time for all animals in this import considering how heavy this parasite load was. 30 day mark. My own female is having some good days and bad ones as I try to hydrate her through this. I saw so many imports back in my day, this is normal but all these animals are going to go through it. Some will have it easier than others and some will not make it as we've already seem.

Took in a fecal today for the quad I bought from this shipment. I wormed him with Panacur before I got a fecal done on him because of everyone else's experience with this group's parasite load. It came back negative, which is 12 days after I gave him Panacur. I would expect it to be negative, but the good news is the vet didn't find anything else. I'll give him two more Panacur treatments, two weeks apart, wait a month or two and do another fecal on him.

Back
Top Bottom