Thanks for nothing vets!

ndugan7

So, I had an issue with my panther having sores on his feet. I couldn't get any legit help from this website, just criticism and most of it wasn't even constructive. The two suggested vets I took him to were crooks who had less knowledge about chams than me and worse didn't even attempt to look into his issue any further after they received my money for the costly visits. I asked clear and blatant questions regarding fungal infections, cham athlete's foot, treatment options...to no avail. I searched "anti-fungal" "fungus" "sores"....a plethora of words I thought might be attached to some snippet of information i needed.

Finally, the information database that is the chameleon forums pooped out a thread from 07' in which Jim from the Chameleon company nailed my issue on the head and suggested a simple over the counter anti-fungal topical treatment. I blindly picked a Tolnaftate 1% spray and have been applying it once daily and FINALLY, after MONTHS of worrying and treating these sores, THEY ARE SHOWING DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT! YAY!

so i learned that posting on here about cham health issues is usually a waste of time unless someone who actually knows what they are talking about has something to say, and that everything has already been asked and is a search away.....so search before you post.

lets face it, the best advice is given FROM experience. Most answers are all here if you look for them! :) Now we just learned from you! Glad your cham is improving!!!

Keep in mind that you "blindly" picked an antifungal and it could have been bacteria related. You lucked out. I just don't want someone to read this and assume their chameleons foot problem is fungus. Glad your chameleon is better.

Keep in mind that you "blindly" picked an antifungal and it could have been bacteria related. You lucked out. I just don't want someone to read this and assume their chameleons foot problem is fungus. Glad your chameleon is better.

ok I guess I won't bookmark this thread now! Thanks Chuck!

My chameleon had a few sores on his feet that went away in about the same amount of time with just a few neosporin treatments and then nothing, and the most improvement happened when I wasn't doing anything to them. Like Chuck said, you have no way of knowing whether or not you treated the actual problem correctly. They heal and go away naturally most of the time whether you do anything or not unless it's complicated by underlying osteomyelitis.

Glad your cham is improving. Sorry you feel that we are all useless to you.

This was my biggest worry, I had no CERTAIN answer to this problem, I got to the point where i did risk my cham by blindly picking a topical anti-fungal that I really didn't know for sure would work! Thankfully it DID work, but i felt i had exhausted my options at that point. I also didn't believe it was bacterial after 2 courses of Rept-aid, and a month of betadine cleansing with a triple anti-biotic applied after showed no improvements...i ended up taking a gamble, more like educated guess, and lucked out.

I for one find the wealth of information on this site extremely valuable as I do the opinions of the members on here, I have learned and am continuing to learn a great deal of information on here. I would have looked at your problem as an opportunity to learn more, we live and learn. I am grateful that there are so many "heads" being put together to try and figure out what could be a potential problem.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM

ndugan7 is on a distinguished road
do chams get foot fungus? or is it sores from the vines? What would be good to do for both that i'm not doing now?

your post today.
i ended up taking a gamble, more like educated guess, and lucked out..

you should edit and take out the educated part :)

if you want educated advice seek a qualified chameleon vet. i laughed when i saw that you were mad at these vets and you spent money not only once but you did it twice. maybe investigate your vet choices before pooping your money out.

educated guesses from experience, THIS forum is the best thing since sliced bread.

I just find it strange that you made a post on this site about how posting on this site is worthless..... Well, your post certainly was worthless. Were you just trying to get people fired up or is there a point to this thread?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM

ndugan7 is on a distinguished road
do chams get foot fungus? or is it sores from the vines? What would be good to do for both that i'm not doing now?

your post today.
i ended up taking a gamble, more like educated guess, and lucked out..

you should edit and take out the educated part :)

if you want educated advice seek a qualified chameleon vet. i laughed when i saw that you were mad at these vets and you spent money not only once but you did it twice. maybe investigate your vet choices before pooping your money out.

educated guesses from experience, THIS forum is the best thing since sliced bread.

Your negative comments on my threads lead me to believe you have it in for me... Quoting my old post only strengthens my argument that even when asking such basic questions as those I received no answer. My qualms with this forum are that if the right people don't see your post or take it over with negative comments, you aren't getting much constructive input. Looking back on that post now, you actually were the only one who posted anything informative. You proved my point by attacking me in this thread ataraxia, it is 99% of the time easier to search through previous posts for answers, than make a new post. Questions turn into accusations and vendettas both of which you have tossed my way it seems. As for going to the vet you "laughed when you saw" i had wasted my hard earned money trying to CARE for the animals this thread is based on. These vets were suggested by forum members and I called both beforehand and was assured that who i was going to see had experience with chameleons, to admit getting pleasure at not only at my loss, but my chameleon's as well doesn't bode well as a statement about your character.

please do not take this the wrong way, but....
Since 2 Vets were worthless crooks and everyone here seems to be a rude, idiot...
might I suggest maybe you start your own Forum and becoming a Vet at the same time?!
That way, you will only have yourself to rely on. and not others who are taking time out of their day to try to help with their knowledge and experience. Or waste your money on a Vet that clearly in your opinion should not be 1.
you can have the best of both of your worlds.
Please note also, I am one of the supportive, gentle people here, so to get me to respond in this manner must have ruffled my feathers!

Let me explain a little more and you can re-read my original post knowing what I was trying to say. My original post does come off as angry, but never do I blame anyone, or say that everyone on here is useless, I was expressing emotion. It was this one issue with my panther's foot sores that was the subject of my dissatisfaction. I didn't get any good information from those old posts and was accused of lying about my husbandry, not exactly what i was looking for. Thankfully, as i gave credit in the post, this forum's archives saved the day. I could have avoided the headache of being attacked anonymously online by people if i had just searched harder.

This post as well documents my failed attempts to cure his sores with the oral anti-biotic Rept-aid for 2 courses, daily beta-dine wash with triple antibiotic on it after, and thoroughly cleaning his enclosure. It was my use of Tolnaftate 1% spray that finally showed me improvement, if not fully solved the issue.

Since this thread just went bad, I think we should blame the American education system. It seems we always have communication issues on the forum with the "new" know it all members. People seem to think the Internet knows everything there is to know about God and country. I think a fellow member put it best, by saying that experience is invaluable.

I have noticed a lot of members asking for help get bashed real bad and it deffinately does not help build there confidence as a keeper. I thought this site was for the bettering of chameleon husbandry, not making people feel shitty about themselves and not having a lot of experience with chams. Remember those of you who bash and degrade new people looking for help take it into consideration that all of you were once inexperienced begginers looking for help. http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/vet-listing.aspx here's a good link to finding a knowledgeable vet in your area. Goodluck with your baby, hope his feet heal up good :D

i think you might be a little confused. maybe re read your first post. many of us on here are merely hobbyist that give our time and personal knowledge to help other out if we can. yes some post's/thread's are not needed like this one but maybe post your findings and make good out of your ordeal. so others can look at it and possibly use it.

i have also wasted money on vets and know exactly how frustrating that is. my humor is sadistic at times.

haha, well not everyone is useless, it was forum member's old posts that i feel lead me in the right direction. my negative tone usually gets me more responses.

honey vs vinegar

dont need to quote your first post also. im sorry but something is not all together here.

ndugan: ask a moderator to delete this thread and start a fresh "useful" thread without the tone you know you have.

i agree with chuck but when i was worried about pandora cause she was a late bloomer growing up and seemed like forever to start her growth spurt i was led to ask one of the breeders sponsors of the site screameleons had a wealth of knowledge and so did the kammers and they answered everything i asked and gave me lots and lots of input but the people on here have exerience with this sort of thing so i would go her with questions if i can't get to the vet asap. don't get butt hurt over one thing. experience helps out alot here so don't give up on these people yet dude.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom