temporal gland infection? Treatment?

The vet will typically surgically debride or clean out the gland and then you start antibiotics and topical treatments like manuka honey. It needs to be open and draining for treatment to work. Otherwise the infection is trapped and can spread.
Sometimes you start antibiotics for a few days and then do the procedure when the infection is reduced.
Okay, awesome. I just ordered some Manuka honey and I’m going to watch his swelling and see if it increases. If it does then I’ll probably take him in.

The vet will typically surgically debride or clean out the gland and then you start antibiotics and topical treatments like manuka honey. It needs to be open and draining for treatment to work. Otherwise the infection is trapped and can spread.
Sometimes you start antibiotics for a few days and then do the procedure when the infection is reduced.
I found an old thread where someone said this

This freaked me out when I saw my chameleon like this but the vet said it was totally normal and you need to delicately squeeze from the back to the front (on their swollen cheek) with a Qtip or your finger like if you were squeezing a tube of toothpaste and where their lips meet is where the toothpaste, or in this case, pus comes out. YOU MUST HAVE THEIR MOUTH OPEN FOR THIS

They don't like having this done to them but it's totally normal, it may even bleed, or make their eye(s) look kinda weird. it's uncomfortable for them but not deadly unless it sits there. The swelling also may get worse but should go down considerably within 24 hours.”

Is that at all a possibility?
Is there any reason why doing that could be particularly dangerous?
I could clean it with an appropriate antiseptic and keep manuka honey on it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom