!!Temporal gland infection on my Jackson Cham, please help!!

Hey everyone, I have a male Jackson cham, about 1.7ish years old I noticed he's had a slight bump around the cheek area of his mouth on the left side. I thought nothing of it because he rubs himself against the tank sometimes so I presumed he was just irritated or something. Now it's been a few days since I've noticed and he has this orangy color thing at the end of his mouth under his cheek, it isn't anything drastic but it concerned me. I thought it could have just been old stuck shed so I've been trying to help him get it off and it's clearly not shed. I've been reading a few articles and looking at images and it seems very similar to a temporal gland infection or some mouth infection, but it is very minimal when I checked his mouth one day. It hasn't spread anywhere aside from that little lump under his cheek. (Images attached)
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg

For context he is a very active little guy, he isn't really shy of people and he enjoys climbing out of his tank onto some sticks and plants I have set up in my room. So he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down or being down (sick-wise), he's still very active, never says no to food, sleeps his normal schedule, and hasn't been stressed spontaneously (which I would expect if he was in pain or if it was getting worse). Most importantly his poops have been looking the same always, nothing has changed else comes out with the fecal matter and the urate is always white/cream color. He's never been sick before or suffered from anything, I make sure to give him his multivitamin powders, and regular calcium powders with every feeding.

-I saw an older post here describing the use of Hibiclens (chlorhexidine Gluconate) to treat the infection and help reduce bacteria buildup. Idk how much of a portion of this to add to water and how much water to add, to create a diluted solution (context: 4% concentrate on the container of chlorhexidine). My hope is to help mitigate the situation before requiring any vet interaction, he hasn't seen a vet yet because it's kinda hard for me as a teen along with the last time I went to a vet for a bearded dragon of mine (she was showing signs of getting mbd, not severe tho just low levels of calcium and not eating, idk what went wrong but the vets told me she was in perfect condition and health, no problems with skin, dental or etc. They performed some tests and said she was good to go after 5hrs of waiting, got her antibiotics and medication, and then she had sadly passed away the following morning in her sleep after the vet visit. So I've just had some distrust and worry over vets killing another one of my pets from doing too much too soon)

-Please help Im very unsure what to do, just overall I'd just like some outside insight and advice on how to try treating and combating this myself before requiring intervention from another specialized vet, again he's always active and alert, eating fine, and everything. He's never been sick or ill before so I just want to prevent this from getting worse or causing any real harm to him.

Please, and thank you!

my Jackson’s xanths in the past had TGI’s and the vet is the way to go and as soon as possible. My Jackson’s xanth I have now has never had one thank the Lord!
try to find an experienced chameleon vet and they can easily treat it.

Back
Top Bottom