temporal gland infection? Treatment?

lubben

My Jacksons chameleon seems to have a temporal gland infection.
im having issues adding photos right now. im however am very certain that's the issue.
I only noticed it yesterday so I am unaware if its getting larger

Does anyone know the proper treatment?
Are antibiotics completely necessary? is there anyway to empty out liquid/puss/bacteria in the growth?
or is it safer to just leave it alone? could its possibly go away on its own?

how do I avoid this happening again in the future?

I lost my Jacksons to that but no autopsy. I think you have to find vet and start antibiotics. The lumen of the gland can be flushed with saline. Sometimes surgery is necessary to lance the gland. There were articles here and online. Said Manduca honey can help prevent this. Good luck.

There is no discharge that is brownish in side of jaw. Let the experts look. Hopefully he is still feeding well. No swelling on side of head.

There is no discharge that is brownish in side of jaw. Let the experts look. Hopefully he is still feeding well. No swelling on side of head.
I would look at the photos again.... definitely swelling.
look at the two pictures comparing the left and right side.
swelling is on the left

With chameleons the pus is like cottage cheese and just putting the chameleon on antibiotics won't get rid of an infection generally. It has to be cleaned out and if a culture and sensitivity test is done the chameleon can be put on the antibiotic that kills the bit of infection that might be left. Most common bacteria involved is pseudomonas.

Last edited:
With chameleons the pus is like cottage cheese and just putting the chameleon on antibiotics won't get rid of an infection generally. It has to be cleaned out and if a culture and sensitivity test is don't the chameleon can be put on the antibiotic that kills the bit of infection that might be left. Most common bacteria involved is pseudomonas.
my father is a doctor and I believe we could remove the puss in a safe, sterile way.
is that necessary?
is there any particular antiseptics that I should/shouldn't use?
would it be best to remove it parenterally (with a needle) or somehow via the oral cavity?

does anyone know the likelihood of the infection becoming systemic/deathly? his seems very very small relative to pictures ive seen.

If it's left long enough it can become systemic. If it's pseudomonas it's hard to get rid of and often comes back.

I did see the picture sand where it is makes me wonder if it is the temporal gland or not...but I'm not a vet and I can't be sure.
If it's not the gland and there's no opening to the outside the honey won't do any good. I've never used honey on a temporal gland infection because none of my chameleons have ever had a temporal gland infection...but I have read about Manaku honey working for others.

I did see the picture sand where it is makes me wonder if it is the temporal gland or not...but I'm not a vet and I can't be sure.
If it's not the gland and there's no opening to the outside the honey won't do any good. I've never used honey on a temporal gland infection because none of my chameleons have ever had a temporal gland infection...but I have read about Manaku honey working for others.
another photo

can you describe to me exactly where the temporal gland is

sorry for the 100000000000 questions. I really appreciate all your input

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom