temporal gland infection? Treatment?

My Jacksons chameleon seems to have a temporal gland infection.
im having issues adding photos right now. im however am very certain that's the issue.
I only noticed it yesterday so I am unaware if its getting larger

Does anyone know the proper treatment?
Are antibiotics completely necessary? is there anyway to empty out liquid/puss/bacteria in the growth?
or is it safer to just leave it alone? could its possibly go away on its own?

how do I avoid this happening again in the future?
I am no longer "certain" that this is a TGI.
the location of his swelling is a little above the normal location. that being said, If it is not, then I have no idea what else it could be.
please let me know if you have ANY info on other issues witch involve similar swelling

I don't know the anatomy well enough to be sure of what it is. Chameleons can get infections "anywhere" and we don't always no why.

I lost my Jacksons to that but no autopsy. I think you have to find vet and start antibiotics. The lumen of the gland can be flushed with saline. Sometimes surgery is necessary to lance the gland. There were articles here and online. Said Manduca honey can help prevent this. Good luck.
do you know how to access the lumen?

I don’t have any experience with Jackson’s, but if I were you I would take him to a vet. Trying to ‘fix’ it yourself could end up doing more harm than good.
yeah I forsure get where youre coming from. I just don't have a trustworthy vet.
I wish there was an easy way to empty it out. if so, I could clean it and periodically put Manuka honey on it to keep the bacteria from growing again.

Didn't somewhere recommend that vet use Baytril. I think only the horned chameleons have this gland and it may be used to attract flies. Why don't we feed them flies?

The vet will typically surgically debride or clean out the gland and then you start antibiotics and topical treatments like manuka honey. It needs to be open and draining for treatment to work. Otherwise the infection is trapped and can spread.
Sometimes you start antibiotics for a few days and then do the procedure when the infection is reduced.

Back
Top Bottom