Tell me if I am doing this right

mikesharmony

Hi I'm Micheal, I currently am a father (laughs) of a female (ambilobe) Panther Chameleon, her name is Kecleon. When I got her she was about 7 months almost turning 8 months old. I have been using this site for most of my chameleons questions and needs. I've been doing a lot of research before I acquired her and now since I adopted her. So I wanted to thank the community for all the knowledge I got from this site. For the past couple of weeks I've been having a routine for how I've been taking care of her. I do have all of the essential equipment for her as well including

-Screen Cage (big)
-Basking Lamp
-Ambient UV Lamp
-Ficus tree in cage
-Ovulation Basket for her eggs (I use Sand)
-Rep-Cal with D3, and Rep-Cal Herptivite
-Crickets gutloaded with potatoes, carrots, roman lettuce and flunkers quenchers for water.
-Humidity and Temperature Gauge
-Misting Bottle

So my routine would be every morning I usually wake up at around 8 a.m. and I would turn on both of her lights. I usually turn her light off around 8-10 p.m.
Then I would mist her cage throughly from all sides of the screen cage. After I would always place an Ice cube before I leave for school so it drips down onto the leaves in case she is thirsty. (All of my water I give her is filtered out in a machine that I clean everyday for ice cubes and misting water) For the crickets I usually put around 3-5 before I leave for school. When I come back from school which would be around 3-4 p.m. I would mist her cage again and check around her cage to see if she had eaten the crickets and I would add the amount missing the next morning. Before she goes to bed I put another ice cube and then I would mist one last time before I turn off her lights. Every Sunday I would dust only 2 crickets with Herptivite, and every other Sunday I would use the Rep-Cal with D3 and the Herptivite. That is my usual routine for the most part.

Besides my routine I usually tell her Good morning, and Goodnight. I tend to talk to her a lot even though chameleons are deaf but that still doesn't bug me. I take her out only when I clean her cage every 2 weeks. I always check the poop and her skin too see if she is doing well every day. But besides that I just want to be a really good owner for Kecleon I LOVE her to death and I would never want anything to happen to her and I just want what is best for my little Kec. So please tell me if I am doing anything wrong so I can adjust and fix my mistakes but besides that thanks again guys :)

Kecleon Exercising in the morning

1781912_666105933430868_387480669_n.jpg

Kecleon Sleeping

1453271_670352063006255_1516334260_n.jpg

Kecleon's Home

1509908_667221839985944_1136073042_n.jpg

Kecleon and Me

1958082_666218073419654_308126253_n.jpg

Welcome to the forums.
Have you checked out the caresheets here and info around laying bins.
You need calcium without d3 for every feeding. Calcium with d3 twice a month and multi vit twice a month.
Is your uv light a UVB?
Do you only feed crickets? Try a varied diet with her, she may eat more than you're giving her too, depending on the size of feeders.
Check the forum for tips on keeping females and egg laying.
Kath.

Yeah Thanks for the advise! I just bought some rep cal without D3 online with 2 day shipping so I'll have that soon also I shall check about the egg basket now :D

Okay, So I just bought some Butter and Phoenix worms but she won't eat them out of my hand... she is used to free roaming all the time so im not sure what too do I have a meal cup placed in the middle of the ficus tree and i placed some phoenix worms in there to see if she will eat them later. I also bought rep cal without d3, so i am good on that. I have one important question I just bought a repti-tuff light at 75 watts... but im scared if it too hot for her basking spot it says around 85-90 degrees but im scared she is going to get hurt any advise?

Okay, So I just bought some Butter and Phoenix worms but she won't eat them out of my hand... she is used to free roaming all the time so im not sure what too do I have a meal cup placed in the middle of the ficus tree and i placed some phoenix worms in there to see if she will eat them later. I also bought rep cal without d3, so i am good on that. I have one important question I just bought a repti-tuff light at 75 watts... but im scared if it too hot for her basking spot it says around 85-90 degrees but im scared she is going to get hurt any advise?

First off...... She is a cutie pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use your butter worms as a treat... Think of them as Krispy Kreme donuts... And with her being a lady, it'll go straight to her hips!! (Just kidding! :p ;) ) I've not fed Phoenix worms so I don't know what to tell you about that... I put my dubia roaches and the occasional 'donut worm' in a small Tupperware up hung in the cage. Try getting some silkworms or hornworms, those are GREATTTTT feeders!

I think with the lady panthers they don't need a basking spot quite as hot... I'll have to run to check this out, but I want to say no hotter than about 86 degrees?
I'll go check on that...

*edit: basking spot for the lady panthers is 80-85 degrees according to: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Hope this helps!

Aww thank you so much :))
Yeah I might back and switch to a 40w or a 50w because I think 75w is way too hot. Well phoenix worms are good in calcium but I just put them into her little meal cup just in case she wants to eat it but it's below her basking spot. So I'm not sure about her methods because she is so used to free roaming and what not.

Aww thank you so much :))
Yeah I might back and switch to a 40w or a 50w because I think 75w is way too hot. Well phoenix worms are good in calcium but I just put them into her little meal cup just in case she wants to eat it but it's below her basking spot. So I'm not sure about her methods because she is so used to free roaming and what not.

How are you measuring your temps?

with a reptitemp thing i just bought xD

Is it a gauge/digital style? Most folks on here recommend a temp gun when I did all my reading and research, and they were right.... I LOVEEEEEE my temp gun! It was about $30 at Lowes, but I use it for my chams cage, my dubia colony box, drafty windows... Lol!!!!

Is it a gauge/digital style? Most folks on here recommend a temp gun when I did all my reading and research, and they were right.... I LOVEEEEEE my temp gun! It was about $30 at Lowes, but I use it for my chams cage, my dubia colony box, drafty windows... Lol!!!!
The temp gun (like the kind used to check autos or refrigerator temps) is the way to go. They are very accurate and you can aim at what you want to temp.
And my German Shepard loves to chase the little red dot around out in the yard ; )

Hi I'm Micheal, I currently am a father (laughs) of a female (ambilobe) Panther Chameleon, her name is Kecleon. When I got her she was about 7 months almost turning 8 months old. I have been using this site for most of my chameleons questions and needs. I've been doing a lot of research before I acquired her and now since I adopted her. So I wanted to thank the community for all the knowledge I got from this site. For the past couple of weeks I've been having a routine for how I've been taking care of her. I do have all of the essential equipment for her as well including

-Screen Cage (big)
-Basking Lamp
-Ambient UV Lamp
-Ficus tree in cage
-Ovulation Basket for her eggs (I use Sand)
-Rep-Cal with D3, and Rep-Cal Herptivite
-Crickets gutloaded with potatoes, carrots, roman lettuce and flunkers quenchers for water.
-Humidity and Temperature Gauge
-Misting Bottle

So my routine would be every morning I usually wake up at around 8 a.m. and I would turn on both of her lights. I usually turn her light off around 8-10 p.m.
Then I would mist her cage throughly from all sides of the screen cage. After I would always place an Ice cube before I leave for school so it drips down onto the leaves in case she is thirsty. (All of my water I give her is filtered out in a machine that I clean everyday for ice cubes and misting water) For the crickets I usually put around 3-5 before I leave for school. When I come back from school which would be around 3-4 p.m. I would mist her cage again and check around her cage to see if she had eaten the crickets and I would add the amount missing the next morning. Before she goes to bed I put another ice cube and then I would mist one last time before I turn off her lights. Every Sunday I would dust only 2 crickets with Herptivite, and every other Sunday I would use the Rep-Cal with D3 and the Herptivite. That is my usual routine for the most part.

Besides my routine I usually tell her Good morning, and Goodnight. I tend to talk to her a lot even though chameleons are deaf but that still doesn't bug me. I take her out only when I clean her cage every 2 weeks. I always check the poop and her skin too see if she is doing well every day. But besides that I just want to be a really good owner for Kecleon I LOVE her to death and I would never want anything to happen to her and I just want what is best for my little Kec. So please tell me if I am doing anything wrong so I can adjust and fix my mistakes but besides that thanks again guys :)

Kecleon Exercising in the morning

1781912_666105933430868_387480669_n.jpg

Kecleon Sleeping

1453271_670352063006255_1516334260_n.jpg

Kecleon's Home

1509908_667221839985944_1136073042_n.jpg

Kecleon and Me

1958082_666218073419654_308126253_n.jpg
I can see she loves you and trusts you Nice!

My boy is used to free roaming, but soon got the hang of Phoenix worms in a cup. They are a good feeder, as part of a varied diet.
The only thing with them is, they don't climb..... Unless they are wet! If they or the cup/bowl is wet they can get out of it. Just watch out when your misting.
Kath.

She actually ate her first Butterworm today, like usual she doesn't ever eat around me so i just put it on her vine and when i wasn't looking it was gone and she was gulping it up :p

Back
Top Bottom