I need help and advice šŸ˜©

hzliedmond

Established Member
Hello my baby girl is 8 months now and she's is on a 18x18x36 reptibreeze cage I had to spend double the money because I made a mistake and brought the death cage. Now on fb I asked a question for some grow lights for the plants every on is bashing me and tell me to go bigger and I'm killing her and stopping her growth. When I asked here for advice I thought it was okay for her to be in their for a year or so . I can't afford to start over at all not yet is it really bad .?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_161735.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_161735.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20231027_162202.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_162202.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 25
While the 2x2x4 is ideal, I do not think youā€™re killing your girl with the 36 in you have now. If you find issues with her trying to lay then I would immediately as fast as possible but as long as you have proper lighting, heat, uvb, diet and supplements. She should be ok for a little longer. Maybe you could use your small cage somehow on top to give her more height? Connecting them together maybe. Cutting out the screens? Not sure if thatā€™s an option for you trying to think outside the box but it would give her more space with little additional funds needed.

I do recommend sooner than later but they do bully on fb sometimes. Jerks!

While the 2x2x4 is ideal, I do not think youā€™re killing your girl with the 36 in you have now. If you find issues with her trying to lay then I would immediately as fast as possible but as long as you have proper lighting, heat, uvb, diet and supplements. She should be ok for a little longer. Maybe you could use your small cage somehow on top to give her more height? Connecting them together maybe. Cutting out the screens? Not sure if thatā€™s an option for you trying to think outside the box but it would give her more space with little additional funds needed.

I do recommend sooner than later but they do bully on fb sometimes. Jerks!
What length light should I get for the xl? ill but on a cc

People are jerks. This is why I donā€™t have social media besides this forum and YouTube so I can be in the chameleons and coffee on Saturdays.

I had my girl in a smaller enclosure for a while, and she was just fine. So long as you have the correct husbandry, as Miss skittles mentioned above, she should be OK. Just work on slowly saving up to get a bigger one and pay attention for any signs of distress.

I also believe that I heard somewhere that for female veiled and Panthers the 18 x 18 x 36 is an OK size because they are typically quite a bit smaller than the males.

I actually have that one i attached for you and it works well for me but most go with the arcaida. Just throwing that out there in case they are hard to locate. We have a sponsor that sells lighting kits too (light your reptiles).

DEEP BREATH! You are doing a fantastic job keeping your little girl happy and healthy. Yes, larger would be ideal. BUT you made the NECESSARY changes immediately, the ones that will quickly affect her health.

Yes, they are fragile animals, but you are taking such good care of her and doing all you can for her. Before I got my guy he was only kept in the small cage, no supplements at all, incorrect lighting and only fed meal worms. He was year and a half when I got him and had MBD. He just turned two and is a happy healthy and grumpy little guy. The only lasting damage he has is a crooked casque. If my guy can survive that, your girl will be just fine in a smaller cage till you can afford to upgrade.

Personally, I only come here, select YouTube channels, and chameleon academy for advice. Everyone thinks they know best and that their way is set in stone. I think there is some leeway here and there. Not every routine/regimen will work for everyone. And I have found that even if I am doing something totally wrong, people here will kindly correct you and actually help you get it right rather than judge and scold you.

Keep up the wonderful work with your sweet girl!

People are jerks. This is why I donā€™t have social media besides this forum and YouTube so I can be in the chameleons and coffee on Saturdays.

I had my girl in a smaller enclosure for a while, and she was just fine. So long as you have the correct husbandry, as Miss skittles mentioned above, she should be OK. Just work on slowly saving up to get a bigger one and pay attention for any signs of distress.

I also believe that I heard somewhere that for female veiled and Panthers the 18 x 18 x 36 is an OK size because they are typically quite a bit smaller than the males.
Wasnā€™t meā€¦was @GrannyK but I fully agree with her and you.
Up until some point not too very long ago, it was said to be ok to put females in the smaller enclosures. I never agreed with that and think every chameleon/animal should have the most space possible provided to them. However, being in the 18x36ā€ enclosure is not going to kill your girl. I hate when people use scare tactics like that. Iā€™d much rather see a chameleon in a smaller enclosure and have good husbandry and be loved, than one in a big enclosure with poor husbandry and be a disposable pet.
If youā€™ve ever read any of my husbandry reviews, youā€™ll notice that I usually an enclosure be ā€œ2x2x4ā€™ or equivalentā€œ. While equivalent may mean lots of different things, one is that itā€™s ok to have a 3ā€™ height if you are compensating by providing more width, like maybe 3ā€™ or more wide. Just make sure to have the enclosure set up on a higher level so the chameleon is still able to look down at you. I propose as an option to getting the 2x2x4ā€™ enclosure, to instead maybe get another 18x18x36ā€ and join the two together. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/ Just an idea.
Btw, I use Sansi plant lights and they do very well. Unfortunately though, Iā€™m finding they only last about a year or two and then die. Maybe thatā€™s a decent life for themā€¦I donā€™t know.

DEEP BREATH! You are doing a fantastic job keeping your little girl happy and healthy. Yes, larger would be ideal. BUT you made the NECESSARY changes immediately, the ones that will quickly affect her health.

Yes, they are fragile animals, but you are taking such good care of her and doing all you can for her. Before I got my guy he was only kept in the small cage, no supplements at all, incorrect lighting and only fed meal worms. He was year and a half when I got him and had MBD. He just turned two and is a happy healthy and grumpy little guy. The only lasting damage he has is a crooked casque. If my guy can survive that, your girl will be just fine in a smaller cage till you can afford to upgrade.

Personally, I only come here, select YouTube channels, and chameleon academy for advice. Everyone thinks they know best and that their way is set in stone. I think there is some leeway here and there. Not every routine/regimen will work for everyone. And I have found that even if I am doing something totally wrong, people here will kindly correct you and actually help you get it right rather than judge and scold you.

Thank u so much šŸ’“ this makes me feel better ill save up and go bigger by Xmas I'm just working wife is not and we have a little one and it's hard here in cali

Thank u so much šŸ’“ this makes me feel better ill save up and go bigger by Xmas I'm just working wife is not and we have a little one and it's hard here in cali
I understand totally! I work and my husband does not, I get it. I had to save up for mine too. Keep an eye on chewy.com. They run sales and sometimes have coupons for new customers. I was able to snag mine for like $50 off. Youā€™re doing a great job

You can check https://paydaysay.com/100-dollar-loan/ website for financial assistance.
Your dedication to the well-being of your little chameleon is truly commendable! Sometimes, we must work with what we have, and making immediate changes to improve her health is the most important step. It's heartening to hear that you're providing her with the care she needs.
Chameleons can be delicate creatures, and it's fantastic to see that your efforts are paying off, especially considering the challenging start your guy had. You're right; there can be different approaches and methods in reptile care, and this community's willingness to provide guidance and support is invaluable.
Your kind words and supportive attitude are a testament to your love for your little girl, and it's clear that she's in great hands. Keep up the fantastic work, and your chameleon will continue to thrive and be a happy and healthy companion!

Back
Top Bottom