I don’t know why she’s not happy…

Maarsbars

My friend passed away last week and I took their Chameleon.

I’ve had her for a week now and she looked like she was doing well until today. She does not look happy and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Can someone please help.

I feed her crickets every other day. Her lightening is 12hr on/off. I mist her cage 4-5x a day.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7749.jpeg
    IMG_7749.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7750.jpeg
    IMG_7750.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7752.jpeg
    IMG_7752.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7751.jpeg
    IMG_7751.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 36
First of all I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

For this little girl there is a lot wrong with her set up. She also has pretty severe Metabolic Bone Disease. I can tell by the lighting fixture on top that it is not the correct UVB lighting this combined with not getting the right supplementation causes MBD. For Females this is very dangerous because they lay infertile eggs like chickens.

For that heat lamp it should be on top of the cage only not on the side and it should be a white bulb not a red bulb. The red is really bad for their eyes.

She needs an entire cage overhaul. However since she is at the point of laying on the floor she will more than likely require a hospital bin. Since she is not gripping and not holding herself up.

But most of all she needs a reptile vet asap to determine the severity of her MBD. They will provide a liquid calcium to try to reverse it. They will take an xray to see how bad her bones are from the MBD. Which is good because they may be able to see if she is holding eggs.

If you tell us what city and state you are in we may be able to help recommend a vet.

This podcast may help you https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-142-sweet-pea-mbd-and-the-will-to-live/

First of all I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

For this little girl there is a lot wrong with her set up. She also has pretty severe Metabolic Bone Disease. I can tell by the lighting fixture on top that it is not the correct UVB lighting this combined with not getting the right supplementation causes MBD. For Females this is very dangerous because they lay infertile eggs like chickens.

For that heat lamp it should be on top of the cage only not on the side and it should be a white bulb not a red bulb. The red is really bad for their eyes.

She needs an entire cage overhaul. However since she is at the point of laying on the floor she will more than likely require a hospital bin. Since she is not gripping and not holding herself up.

But most of all she needs a reptile vet asap to determine the severity of her MBD. They will provide a liquid calcium to try to reverse it. They will take an xray to see how bad her bones are from the MBD. Which is good because they may be able to see if she is holding eggs.

If you tell us what city and state you are in we may be able to help recommend a vet.

This podcast may help you https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-142-sweet-pea-mbd-and-the-will-to-live/
I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada and I now have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning.

I gave her some crickets today and she seems to be a little happier

Attachments

• IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 36
Hi and welcome. Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.
Once you get your beautiful little lady’s immediate health needs attended, we can help you in getting her care as perfect as possible to halt the progression of her mbd. I would also suggest reaching out to Sweet Pea on Facebook for additional advice on how to give this sweet girl her best life.

Hi and welcome. Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.
Once you get your beautiful little lady’s immediate health needs attended, we can help you in getting her care as perfect as possible to halt the progression of her mbd. I would also suggest reaching out to Sweet Pea on Facebook for additional advice on how to give this sweet girl her best life.
Thank you very much… Do you happen to have a link to this Fcaebook person/group?

I’ve turned the red light off now. And here is the white light I have on top of the cage

Apparently we do not have any incandescent 60watt bulbs, I’ve put in an order for them.

Attachments

• IMG_7756.jpeg
    IMG_7756.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7757.jpeg
    IMG_7757.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I’ve turned the red light off now. And here is the white light I have on top of the cage

Apparently we do not have any incandescent 60watt bulbs, I’ve put in an order for them.
That is a T8 fixture. Can you tell me what the bulb has written on it?

You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. This one penetrates further into the cage and provides the UVB levels that are needed. You would have this placed so that there is a distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of the fixture on top of the cage and the highest branch below it.

I just want to say welcome! What’s her name?

When I first came here a couple months ago, my little guy had MBD as well. You are in good hands with everyone here. They have been such a blessing to have while learning how to care for him.

That is a T8 fixture. Can you tell me what the bulb has written on it?

You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. This one penetrates further into the cage and provides the UVB levels that are needed. You would have this placed so that there is a distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of the fixture on top of the cage and the highest branch below it.
Here is what is on the actual bulb:

Attachments

• IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 40
I just want to say welcome! What’s her name?

When I first came here a couple months ago, my little guy had MBD as well. You are in good hands with everyone here. They have been such a blessing to have while learning how to care for him.
This is so great to hear, I really want to help this pretty lady.
Her name is Emi ♥️

Here is what is on the actual bulb:
Ok since we do not know how old this bulb is you want to replace it. You would order the 18inch 10.0 reptisun T8 UVB bulb. So it would be an exact match to that one.

However With the T8 she would need to be 5 inches below that UVB type for it to do any good. If she is not going that high then the T5HO is better because your looking at 8-9inches to the branch.

In the end I do recommend ordering the T5HO and the 5.0 or 6% bulb though. Perhaps as she gets healthier and can go in a larger enclosure. The one she is in now will be much to small for a cham that is able to move around.

This is so great to hear, I really want to help this pretty lady.
Her name is Emi ♥️
I will say that mine didn’t have as severe of a case, but after having a vet visit and following the advice of the wonderful people here, he has greatly improved and is off his meds. I’m crossing my fingers for Emi 🤞 make sure to update after her vet visit

Ok since we do not know how old this bulb is you want to replace it. You would order the 18inch 10.0 reptisun T8 UVB bulb. So it would be an exact match to that one.

However With the T8 she would need to be 5 inches below that UVB type for it to do any good. If she is not going that high then the T5HO is better because your looking at 8-9inches to the branch.

In the end I do recommend ordering the T5HO and the 5.0 or 6% bulb though. Perhaps as she gets healthier and can go in a larger enclosure. The one she is in now will be much to small for a cham that is able to move around.
Thank you very much! I’ve just ordered the T5HO

Back
Top Bottom