Teeth?

drapcia

Ok maybe a stupid question, but do they actually have teeth? And do they bite?

We have a 5 month old veiled chameleon. We got her when she was about 5 weeks, the cutest thing she was... fell asleep on my hand several times... then....

When she turned 4 1/2 months the unthinkable for me happened.... Hissed at me while gaping her mouth.... Funny now but I was teriffied... never happened and deff wasnt expecting it... Now I see its normal.. but its weird how she went on for several months without doing anything like that....

So are they able to bite? and do they actully have teeth?????

Last edited:
Oh ho ho, let me tell you- they have teeth, oh boy they do, and they sure can pack a wallop of a bite. I've only been bit twice by my adult Male Veiled, but it broke the skin both times, and I had to literally 'pry' him of my arm becuase he had the death hold on me.

I'm a girl, so I may over-exaggerate it as hurting more than it really does (although I doubt it :D) but I feel terrible for the chameleon breeders who are bitten weekly. You guys really deserve more credit. I haven't been bitten by any other species, but I would presume the smaller the chameleon, the less painful the bite...?:confused: --> I hope so, for everyone's sake. LOL.

Thx!!! Now, I'm not putting my hand in there heheheh. She's sweet when she's sleepy, maybe thats the only time I should play with her. We are buying a male companion for her this weekend, hopefully she doesnt harm him, shes fiesty! My fiance wants to breed them for the first time, no idea how will that work out... I'll pry the little ones will behave much better than their mother! :D

I was just bitten a couple weeks ago, and it definitely did not feel good. My cham Ezhno was catching some rays in the backyard, and I guess he just did not want to leave. When trying to bring him in I probably did not act as slow as I should have and he got my index finger! He was a bad cham and did not receive his treats for a couple days ;)

drapcia said:
.. but its weird how she went on for several months without doing anything like that.
This is very common. The behavior change has a lot to do with sexual maturity.

Last edited:
Interesting thing about taking them out. We have not tried doing that yet, actually we didnt know if we should or could. We live in NYC, its pretty humid outside and the temperatures are pretty high at this time of the year... maybe she wouldn't mind being outside. :confused:

drapcia said:
Thx!!! Now, I'm not putting my hand in there heheheh. She's sweet when she's sleepy, maybe thats the only time I should play with her. We are buying a male companion for her this weekend, hopefully she doesnt harm him, shes fiesty! My fiance wants to breed them for the first time, no idea how will that work out... I'll pry the little ones will behave much better than their mother! :D

Well, I think as time goes on you will be forced to "play" with her less and less. Chameleons are really not the cuddly sort of pet, so don't expect anything different from her, her babies and especially her "male companion". They are better off left untouched as handling causes stress and stress is bad for chams. The effects of stress may not be something you can see right away or even days, weeks or months down the road, but it will be there...

I have a question about the male you are going to get. Are you planning to house him in her enclosure?

We are not quiet sure what we should do. I keep reading these books and articles and all of them are saying something different. We were thinking putting them in the same tank but separating them by a screen wall. They both will be in the same environment, being able to see each other but maybe not be able to harm one, another just in case. She's 5 months and the male we were looking at was younger... I'm not sure what kind of effect will that have on her and him. Soo many things to look at before we actually go through with it....

Also I read that her initial reaction to the male might be... hissing, gaping, turning black, rocking back and forth....

Seems like she might go psycho on him! hehehhe

Even if she cannot attack him, she may turn him submissive and even though they are separated it will probably affect the smaller male. He may not eat even thought food is given for fear of being in the females territory, or he will stay in the farthest corner. So unless your cage is very large, a transparent boundry is still not as safe or useful as a visual boundry.

Hmmmm didn't know that. I think it's a 65 gallon tank. Well if a transparent separation isnt enough we will deff separate them with something visual.

Thank you for the input...

I know they are sooooooo cute and ya' just wanna "play" with them all the time......I would love to do that too, but I know the two we have are NOT interested in "playing" LOL. I spend hours just watching them......hunting & eating, bathing, and just hangin' out. When we do take them out of their enclosures for cleaning and maintenance, we use a dowel rod for them to step onto and then place them in a hanging pothos while we do the dirty work. They both have gotten used to the program and once in a while......a great while..... I am given the priveledge of having my head used as a perch.

IvorySerpent

Well we didnt end up buying the smaller male for her. But shes been acting strange lately. When I tried taking her out last night she didnt even get mad. Just looked very uninterested in me trying to take her out. After 15 min of rubbing her head, back and tail.. she decided she will get on my hand. Still looking very uninterested looked around for 5 min and decided shes going to sleep. Got comfortable on my hand and fell asleep for good half an hour. This morning my fiance wanted to feed her before going to work and he just had to wake me up... she was laying on the sand and sleeping. She never does that. I dunno what is going on...

Do they lay eggs or have the need even though they have not been exposed to a male? :confused:

She will still lay unfertile eggs. You need a box with moist sand in it so she can dig a tunnel to drop her eggs. Make sure the sand is very moiste so that it won't collapse with her inside.

Chameleons generally don't "sleep" during the day unless they are very ill. You may want to consider taking her to the vet.

Also, your housing choices may need some work, and could be contributing to her ill health.

Heika

Heika said:
Chameleons generally don't "sleep" during the day unless they are very ill. You may want to consider taking her to the vet.

Also, your housing choices may need some work, and could be contributing to her ill health.

Heika

Mine would take naps on my finger when she was very young like drapcia explained.

My question is how will i know when I need to have the sand in there, and when my girl Mega is going to lay a batch of eggs.

I have not had very young neonates in my care yet, and can see that as a possibility. However, at five months old, she should not be sleeping during the day, and definately not laying in the sand at the bottom of the tank. It sounds like there are several husbandry issues that need to be addressed, but first and foremost, the chameleon needs to be seen by the vet.

For a nesting spot, there is an article on chameleon news: http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/jan2003/nesting/nesting.html

Jenna also posted really nice, descriptive directions for a nesting box a while back, but I can't find it at the moment.

Heika

The box with the sand was placed in the tank. She didnt care too much for it. So we actually placed her in the sand.. She didnt like the idea and ran for her life to climb on one of the plants. I dunno... will see whats going to happen later on. She did eat some crickets today so at least shes eating...

drapcia said:
The box with the sand was placed in the tank. She didnt care too much for it. So we actually placed her in the sand.. She didnt like the idea and ran for her life to climb on one of the plants. I dunno... will see whats going to happen later on. She did eat some crickets today so at least shes eating...
She will go to the sand when she is ready to lay eggs. If she doesn't then its a very good possibility that you are not giving her enough privacy. Often they will not dig if they are aware they are being watched.

Just wanted to give an update on my cham's status. We thought she was a goner for 4 days. She didnt eat or move. Now shes back to eating, not laying any eggs yet but wants to sleep all the time. As soon as I take her out she falls asleep on my hand in bright daylight. She slowly is getting better without any help of any kind but its just strange how sleepy she is. She did open her mouth and let me spray some water in her mouth. She has never let me do that before... I am hoping for the best...otherwise my fiance is looking at buying some bearded dragons they do not need as much maintenance but we do love our chameleon.....

It sounds to me like you are confused on a number of husbandry issues. If you want your chameleon to be happy and healthy, forget everything you ever heard anywhere else and study the following websites inside & out:

Chameleon Dish
Chameleon News

Back
Top Bottom