Swollen eyes

Hi
I've been to my reptile vet twice now and he is unsure what is causing my chams eyes to keep swelling
First of all he thought allergy, so he was treated with maxitrol eye drops and the swelling went down in 4 days but then returned a week later, I used the drops again for a week and the swelling went down, but came back up within 1 day of stopping.
My vet is going to sedate him and draw some fluid from the eye and take an x Ray, but wondered if anyone has an experience of this so I can help my vet and my cham.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther, male, 2 1/2 years, had since sept 2014.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? As much as he wants, usually daily.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locusts, butterworms, silkworms, he dosent like crickets and vet said no more morio and waxworms. Eats usually daily 2/3 prey, silkworms eat mulberry chow, locusts are dusted and gutloaded with spring greens, dandelion leaves, watercress, bee pollen and vit all.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Sticky tongue miner all and reptivite, twice a month. Miner all each feed.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand mist and dropper bottle, always see him drink, just installed bio bubble water cantina in the few days. But he hasn't drank from it yet.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Usually weekly, solid and nice brown colour, white urates.Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Over Christmas just after he came to me and finding out previous owner never gave him vitamins only calcium for 6 months, he had an vitamin a deficiency, he had regular multivit injections and since March has been tip top.
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Wooden viv, between 3/4ft tall, 2 1/2 ft wide and deep approx
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 tube light, March was new. 60 w heat red reptile bulb. Uv on 12 1/2 hours (usually because he has some time out and dosent have uv for about an hour a day) but sometimes has coil uv light on his free range and a 60w house bulb. For couple hours a day.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 90/95 basking area direct under it when measured, ambient 80, night 65/70 ish depend on how cold the night is.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Hand mist twice a day usually, as its wooden the humidity stays up longer, reaches 60 ish. Have thermometer that records min and max temps.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants, they keep dying.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located? No draughts etc, or heat source, in a corner beside a sofa, so tucked away a bit, some traffic noise etc, but he usually hides if not in the mood, otherwise very friendly and tries to get out, he sits on high branches at eye level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom