Superworm breeding

Peeps101

Established Member
I am pleased to say that my superworm breeding was a success. I kept them in the container they come in from the store, gave them shredded carrots and I’ve noticed about 4 babies today. Now “100 count” went up to some more. I won’t be needing to buy some worms for a while :) .
image.jpg

I didn’t know they turned into beetles. I thought they turned into moths (maybe that was another type of worm?) Apparently Amazon and other places sell 35mm film containers for real cheap.

I didn’t know they turned into beetles. I thought they turned into moths (maybe that was another type of worm?) Apparently Amazon and other places sell 35mm film containers for real cheap.

It's pretty alarming when you encounter a SW beetle for the first time! They won't pupate in the crowded conditions in those cups, though. Every now and then I'll have a beetle or two pop up in my vivariums from an escaped superworm. They make a surprising amount of noise from climbing and being clunky armored bugs

I have been trying to breed these beetles and it has taken quite some time to get even the small colony I have (20) they die off pretty quick and they dont pupate that fast, still have not seen any babies, going on 3 months now, and correct these worms need to be stressed out and by themselves in order to change to beetles, they are a social colony and won't change,it is almost impossible to breed these worms without pupating fist. horn worms change into moths and wax worms.

It's pretty alarming when you encounter a SW beetle for the first time! They won't pupate in the crowded conditions in those cups, though. Every now and then I'll have a beetle or two pop up in my vivariums from an escaped superworm. They make a surprising amount of noise from climbing and being clunky armored bugs
If I put the biggest worms in something like a Dixie cup would that work? Or do I need something longer?

Back
Top Bottom