Superworm breeding

Peeps101

Established Member
I am pleased to say that my superworm breeding was a success. I kept them in the container they come in from the store, gave them shredded carrots and I’ve noticed about 4 babies today. Now “100 count” went up to some more. I won’t be needing to buy some worms for a while :) .
image.jpg

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Might have gotten some tiny ones. You wouldn't be getting babies in a small cup and without beetles present.

Peeps101

Established Member
I didn’t know they turned into beetles. I thought they turned into moths (maybe that was another type of worm?) Apparently Amazon and other places sell 35mm film containers for real cheap.

Syreptyon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I didn’t know they turned into beetles. I thought they turned into moths (maybe that was another type of worm?) Apparently Amazon and other places sell 35mm film containers for real cheap.

It's pretty alarming when you encounter a SW beetle for the first time! They won't pupate in the crowded conditions in those cups, though. Every now and then I'll have a beetle or two pop up in my vivariums from an escaped superworm. They make a surprising amount of noise from climbing and being clunky armored bugs

I have been trying to breed these beetles and it has taken quite some time to get even the small colony I have (20) they die off pretty quick and they dont pupate that fast, still have not seen any babies, going on 3 months now, and correct these worms need to be stressed out and by themselves in order to change to beetles, they are a social colony and won't change,it is almost impossible to breed these worms without pupating fist. horn worms change into moths and wax worms.

Peeps101

Established Member
It's pretty alarming when you encounter a SW beetle for the first time! They won't pupate in the crowded conditions in those cups, though. Every now and then I'll have a beetle or two pop up in my vivariums from an escaped superworm. They make a surprising amount of noise from climbing and being clunky armored bugs
If I put the biggest worms in something like a Dixie cup would that work? Or do I need something longer?

Top Bottom