Suggest methods of catching katydids

Welllllllllll I tried the sweep net technique for about 10-15 mins tonight. There is a park at the end of our street with tall wheat-like grass, cattails, etc that is chest high. I caught lots leaves and sticks, but absolutely nothing edible. Gah.

So far what we have caught were nymphs early on with a flash light, and a few poor souls that literally landed at our feet.

Maybe i’ll take the bug net with me to FL next week :p

Update: went to park 9:30-10:30pm with mediocre flash light. Saw LOTS of mantids, heard lots of Katydids, only caught 2 grasshoppers... BUT thats 2 more than I had so I am ok with that!

Bonus: I didn’t get shot! But I did witness someone checking car handles!

Update: went to park 9:30-10:30pm with mediocre flash light. Saw LOTS of mantids, heard lots of Katydids, only caught 2 grasshoppers... BUT thats 2 more than I had so I am ok with that!

Bonus: I didn’t get shot! But I did witness someone checking car handles!

I walked around my yard and along the edge of the woods with a flashlight just now until I noticed my neighbor outside... Then casually walked back to my door as if what I was doing had some sort of normal purpose.

So did you find anything good in the cars? :ROFLMAO:

Honestly whenever you guys are talking about catching wild bugs or harvesting sticks and stuff I'm always jealous because Denver was not made for that sort of foraging. I have pine trees and apparently migrating tarantulas and that's it

I just got home from Denver and NM, there were grasshoppers everywhere! I was at Philmont and if I drove there I would be coming home with tons of great bugs!

Honestly whenever you guys are talking about catching wild bugs or harvesting sticks and stuff I'm always jealous because Denver was not made for that sort of foraging. I have pine trees and apparently migrating tarantulas and that's it

Didn't they decriminalize mushrooms over there? Go eat some and imagine you're foraging for our golden standard wild bugs

I just got home from Denver and NM, there were grasshoppers everywhere! I was at Philmont and if I drove there I would be coming home with tons of great bugs!
Yeah you're not wrong. I was taking my dogs out yesterday and a grasshopper flew in my face. I did you're aforementioned squeal and dance move. But living in the city I wouldnt trust anything wild to not be covered in some sort of unfriendly chemicals lol.
Didn't they decriminalize mushrooms over there? Go eat some and imagine you're foraging for our golden standard wild bugs
Yes, yes they did!

There's a huge hibiscus in my yard, I'll have to look it over better. I need to find a good spot with tall grass.
No, a single plant isn’t going to offer katydids much. Think of that plant as a high traffic island in the middle of the ocean. There might be a few good hiding spots on the island itself but they are completely exposed when trying to get onto or off of the island. They would get picked off easily.

What your looking for is a decent sized patch of mixed grass and tall broad leaf weeds, preferably on a tree line and at least an area of 20x20. A patch like that offers everything they need like food, water, mates, tons of hides....

When I get off work today I’ll jump on the XMR and go take some pics of what I’m talking about.

No, a single plant isn’t going to offer katydids much. Think of that plant as a high traffic island in the middle of the ocean. There might be a few good hiding spots on the island itself but they are completely exposed when trying to get onto or off of the island. They would get picked off easily.

What your looking for is a decent sized patch of mixed grass and tall broad leaf weeds, preferably on a tree line and at least an area of 20x20. A patch like that offers everything they need like food, water, mates, tons of hides....

When I get off work today I’ll jump on the XMR and go take some pics of what I’m talking about.

The hibiscus is right on the tree line among tons of other plants. These are the woods at the edge of my driveway. I have read that they like to sit high up in the trees and there is a thick canopy here, that's probably where they're all at. There is a patch of tall grass on the side I was looking through, but no luck. They fly up to my door at times when the lights are on though. Now that I'm trying to catch them, none want to come by.

Attachments

• 20190707_143313.jpg
    20190707_143313.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 55
I think I'm going to have to go find a field of grass where you'd usually find grasshoppers. That's probably what you mean.

Yep. I drove two hours out to Pawnee National Grasslands with net in hand. I caught nothing. Colorado sucks for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom