Sugar ants

Ironlung

There are a few sugar ants roaming around the bottom of my cage. I followed them to see what they were doing and it looks like they are going into the soil where my plant is. I dislike ants with a passion and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I dont wanna spray any Raid near my cham or his cage. How should I go about getting rid of them?

They sell that at Walmart. I use it and it works. It gets sticky so I put a drop on some paper or painters tape.

Ants...

It was suggested to me by a friend to use uncooked grits as an chemical-free way to get rid of ants. It takes awhile, at least a few days but they will eat the grits, and take some back to the nest, the grits swell, the ants explode. Apparently thats how they get rid of fire ants in Alabama, he says. It was also suggested to me by the Kammers to set the cages up on "moats". Which consist of cheap, small terra cotta pots with drip trays. You turn the terra cotta pots upside down in the drip trays and put water in the trays. Ants can't swim, so they can't get into the cage. Of course, they can't get back out either, so you'll want to get the ants out first. :)

Edit: Terro DOES work great, but make sure you have no more ants that can get into the cage before you use it. My Male chameleon was eating the ants, and seemed to actually enjoy them, despite what I've read about ants being acidic and chameleons not eating them... After "moating" the cages I lost patience with the grit method and went the Terro route since I knew there was no way they could get inside the cages again.

Last edited:
one of these...

anteater.gif

or one of these! :)

thorny_devil_imagelarge.jpg

Back
Top Bottom