sub species of Jacksons or two separate

opihiman

I have been reading more about Chams here in the Islands and noted that there were to morphological types. It is not clear whether they are sub species of xanth or two totally different types. I haven't found anything further on this. I posted the link below.

http://www.adcham.com/html/ecology/hawaii-ko.html

Key features of the two types are the double or single ridge of the dorsal area. (see link for clarification)...

I happen to be walking through the local pet shop and I noticed a female with this morphological characteristic and thought that I would buy her. When I got her home and took a closer look at her, I noticed that her snout appears to be broader and there seems to be a horn bud on the tip...(this may not be readily seen on the photos I posted.

I was wondering what the forum thought or if anyone had any further information on these differences.

Thanks

OPI

Attachments

• girl.jpg
    girl.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 167
  • sistah.jpg
    sistah.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 208
There are no subspecies of a subspecies (xantholophus is a subspecies of jacksonii). To the best of my knowledge this is simply individual variation within the Ch. (T.) j. xantholophus population on Hawaii. Some of these characteristics (broader skull) are age dependent.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom