Article on the Veiled chameleon. -the sub-species!!!

To those who are interested.....

I have been studying for 15 years the difference in the two types of Veiled Chameleons. Here is an article that gives the history of both Veils. This is true in that they both have different personalities and preferences in eating and mating. I have raised the small casque veiled chameleons the most as they are curious, easy to handle and love to bond with humans. The other tall casque veils are more aloof, do not like to bond with humans but prefer to stay hidden.

Here is a link to the article: https://wildlife-facts.weebly.com/veiled-chameleon.html

There are 2 subspecies recognized. The Veiled Chameleon was first described by Peters in 1870 as Chamaeleo calyptratus, he also described a second subspecies, the Short-casqued Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus).

Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratuswas - Peters, 1870) - From the 2 subspecies this one has a higher crest or casque.

Click on the link above to read more. I have actually talked with a couple of the people who first brought in the species of Veils and validated that they found both species but never studied the habits of each of them.

I am still looking for the small casque veils that have that sweet personality, curious and love to hang onto their 2 legged human!

I think I have found one am currently raising him. He isn't completely like the ones I use to raise but almost.

MY face book page of the previous chams that I use to have is seen here: Jen's Gentle Chameleons on facebook.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 31B342FF-42F6-4F9A-8D7C-DA2B235DB314_1_105_c.jpeg
    31B342FF-42F6-4F9A-8D7C-DA2B235DB314_1_105_c.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 143
There are two sub species of Chamaeleo calypatratus ssp. with Chamaeleo calypatratus calypatratus (the nominate form) and Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer (the other subspecies) being the two sub species. However I have done reading that there were talks that Chamaeleo calipatraus calcarifer was going to be apart of taxonomic revision and that subspecies was going to be made into a separate species.

As far as locating any Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer, they are very difficult to locate. I have only heard about them being imported into the USA twice since 1995. I do not recall who the importer was they were just noted on an import document paper.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
To those who are interested.....

I have been studying for 15 years the difference in the two types of Veiled Chameleons. Here is an article that gives the history of both Veils. This is true in that they both have different personalities and preferences in eating and mating. I have raised the small casque veiled chameleons the most as they are curious, easy to handle and love to bond with humans. The other tall casque veils are more aloof, do not like to bond with humans but prefer to stay hidden.

Here is a link to the article: https://wildlife-facts.weebly.com/veiled-chameleon.html

There are 2 subspecies recognized. The Veiled Chameleon was first described by Peters in 1870 as Chamaeleo calyptratus, he also described a second subspecies, the Short-casqued Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus).

Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratuswas - Peters, 1870) - From the 2 subspecies this one has a higher crest or casque.

Click on the link above to read more. I have actually talked with a couple of the people who first brought in the species of Veils and validated that they found both species but never studied the habits of each of them.

I am still looking for the small casque veils that have that sweet personality, curious and love to hang onto their 2 legged human!

I think I have found one am currently raising him. He isn't completely like the ones I use to raise but almost.

MY face book page of the previous chams that I use to have is seen here: Jen's Gentle Chameleons on facebook.

Enjoy!

I was often criticized years ago when I first found them and found out the differences. I was so in love with the second specie because of their curious gentle nature and use to talk about what they loved to do and what I did with them on chameleon sites that no one could believe me. So, I retired into my corner but now, since I am looking for them, I have started speaking out again. I am in search for them. No one has cared that they are a separate specie and have been breeding them with the others and now they are mixed up. This new boy that I have I believe is like the ones I use to have but he does have a little of the other personality so he is not pure breed. They are so wonderful. I actually use to sleep with them and they would crawl out of their cages, because I kept their doors open and they would walk down the hallway to my bedroom and climb up on my bed to me. Just like a dog!

He loved to go for a car ride. He was always a gentleman with the ladies! He liked to meet them first. He loved to watch movies with me. The girls loved to sit with me and I knew they were happy when their tails were up like a cat's tail. In the morning he would open his cage and look around to see if anyone noticed. But then he loved to find that "other" cham in the mirror until he got curious as to where "this other cham" might be! Then he figured out it was a mirror!
These chameleons are smart, they think, consider and try to understand!

Last one is of Ned meeting another human lady and interested to know who she was.

Attachments

• Ned walking down the hallway.jpg
    Ned walking down the hallway.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Ned meeting his lady.jpg
    Ned meeting his lady.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Ned on the dashboard 2.jpg
    Ned on the dashboard 2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ned curious about the monitor.jpg
    ned curious about the monitor.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 109
  • a little female on laptop.jpg
    a little female on laptop.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Ned opening his door.jpg
    Ned opening his door.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 108
  • ned looking into the car mirro in front.jpg
    ned looking into the car mirro in front.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 114
  • ned looking into the car mirror in back.jpg
    ned looking into the car mirror in back.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 13580614_1056574704425300_1218307040891841284_o.jpg
    13580614_1056574704425300_1218307040891841284_o.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I was often criticized years ago when I first found them and found out the differences. I was so in love with the second specie because of their curious gentle nature and use to talk about what they loved to do and what I did with them on chameleon sites that no one could believe me. So, I retired into my corner but now, since I am looking for them, I have started speaking out again. I am in search for them. No one has cared that they are a separate specie and have been breeding them with the others and now they are mixed up. This new boy that I have I believe is like the ones I use to have but he does have a little of the other personality so he is not pure breed. They are so wonderful. I actually use to sleep with them and they would crawl out of their cages, because I kept their doors open and they would walk down the hallway to my bedroom and climb up on my bed to me. Just like a dog!

He loved to go for a car ride. He was always a gentleman with the ladies! He liked to meet them first. He loved to watch movies with me. The girls loved to sit with me and I knew they were happy when their tails were up like a cat's tail. In the morning he would open his cage and look around to see if anyone noticed. But then he loved to find that "other" cham in the mirror until he got curious as to where "this other cham" might be! Then he figured out it was a mirror!
These chameleons are smart, they think, consider and try to understand!

Last one is of Ned meeting another human lady and interested to know who she was.
Great looking Veiled Chameleon!

Is that the one you are calling Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer? He looks to me to be the nominate subspecies with a smaller under developed casque. The coloration and sizes looks to be more of the nominate form compared to true Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer (Tilbury, Chameleons of Africa Atlas 2018). That part of the Arabian peninsula rarely exports Vieled Chameleons of the nominate subspecies (Chamaeleo calypatratus calypatratus). Although the nominate form is well established in captivity. It would surprise me if you actually had true Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer. However importing Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer can happen, just exceeding rare.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Great looking Veiled Chameleon!

Is that the one you are calling Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer? He looks to me to be the nominate subspecies with a smaller under developed casque. The coloration and sizes looks to be more of the nominate form compared to true Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer (Tilbury, Chameleons of Africa Atlas 2018). That part of the Arabian peninsula rarely exports Vieled Chameleons of the nominate subspecies (Chamaeleo calypatratus calypatratus). Although the nominate form is well established in captivity. It would surprise me if you actually had true Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer. However importing Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer can happen, just exceeding rare.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
HI Jeremy,

Getting a pure sub-specie that I was referring to is very difficult. I don't think I ever had a total pure one and I don't know how you would even tell!!!

I just know the difference by personality and by how small the casque is. I had both. They are indeed, very different from the rest of the veils.

HI Jeremy,

Getting a pure sub-specie that I was referring to is very difficult. I don't think I ever had a total pure one and I don't know how you would even tell!!!

I just know the difference by personality and by how small the casque is. I had both. They are indeed, very different from the rest of the veils.
There is a description and pictures of the two sub species of Chamaeleo calypatratus ssp. that you can appropriately compare the two subspecies in Collin Tilbury, Chameleons of Africa, Atlas 2018 publication. I think yours is a Chamaeleo calypatratus calypatratus though. Have a look.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Ned is fabulous and Twinky too.. (y)
Not much about the sub these days--- I remember the older CIN groups talking about them then nothing until now again (but then life happens and years fly by). Thanks!

I do not want to disappoint you but the whole discussion here is just a lack of research. A simple view into e.g. Tilbury's Atlas shows the debate here is pointless. There is no gentle human loving small casques subspecies. In fact, they are much bigger and equally nervous as the Yemen chameleons (I hate the american term Veiled, as it is a false one). They are just absolutely different...
I have seen both in the wild. There are taxonomic issues which I will not reveal here, but the description and clarification is in process...

The imagination, the above mentioned chamdeleon is one of the Calcarifer is false. The low casque is simply due to heavy MBD, so no calcarifer by any means. Also, their nature is not different, calcarifers are just simply huge and less colourful and have differently shaped, not so high casques.
I am almost sure, there have been never calcarifer specimens imported to the US, so the search for them is hopeless.

Petr

I do not want to disappoint you but the whole discussion here is just a lack of research. A simple view into e.g. Tilbury's Atlas shows the debate here is pointless. There is no gentle human loving small casques subspecies. In fact, they are much bigger and equally nervous as the Yemen chameleons (I hate the american term Veiled, as it is a false one). They are just absolutely different...
I have seen both in the wild. There are taxonomic issues which I will not reveal here, but the description and clarification is in process...

The imagination, the above mentioned chamdeleon is one of the Calcarifer is false. The low casque is simply due to heavy MBD, so no calcarifer by any means. Also, their nature is not different, calcarifers are just simply huge and less colourful and have differently shaped, not so high casques.
I am almost sure, there have been never calcarifer specimens imported to the US, so the search for them is hopeless.

Petr
Do you have any photos of this species? I’m very curious now what they look like.

Petr
I have seen an old PDF that I recall said chameleons imported before 1995 into the USA had some imports of Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer. I can look into my PDF stack and have a look to locate the document.

As stated again above there is good photo documentation of both sub species in Colin Tilbury, Chameleons of Africa, Atlas, 2018 publication.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I found the PDF document I was referencing last night, "The Dynamics of the Global Trade in Chameleon" (Carpenter, Rowcliffe, and Watkinson (2004)). The document did not make mention of any imports of any Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer being imported into the USA. However I have got a recollection of reading a report that some specimens of Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer making their way to the USA. Petr says no. I have got a recollection of reading the sub species has made their way overseas to the USA. However when I locate the document I have got the the recollection of I shall post the reference.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I found the PDF document I was referencing last night, "The Dynamics of the Global Trade in Chameleon" (Carpenter, Rowcliffe, and Watkinson (2004)). The document did not make mention of any imports of any Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer being imported into the USA. However I have got a recollection of reading a report that some specimens of Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer making their way to the USA. Petr says no. I have got a recollection of reading the sub species has made their way overseas to the USA. However when I locate the document I have got the the recollection of I shall post the reference.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Jeremy, the fsct they were declaeed does by dar nit mean they were imported.
I will give you am example:
Despite thouďsands of Trioceros rudis were declared timcross auS birder, no single one did. All were at. Sternfeldi.
Same, many 29soeciˇens of the Kinyongia fischeri were really fischeri. Maybe less, all the rest was multituberculata boehmei or matschiei o tavetana or…
So this papers are to be trusted eith big care
Petr

Jeremy, the fsct they were declaeed does by dar nit mean they were imported.
I will give you am example:
Despite thouďsands of Trioceros rudis were declared timcross auS birder, no single one did. All were at. Sternfeldi.
Same, many 29soeciˇens of the Kinyongia fischeri were really fischeri. Maybe less, all the rest was multituberculata boehmei or matschiei o tavetana or…
So this papers are to be trusted eith big care
Petr
Petr

I have a recollection of reading a document that stated there were some Chamaeleo calypatratus calcarifer that were imported to the USA. I am on the look out for that document and shall post when I locate the document.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom