Stretching tongue out

My chameleon- veiled,female,unknown age,

Handling-Maybe like once every week and a half (she will go to the door of the cage when I walk in my room)

Feeding- mostly crickets about 10

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed her

Fluker’s reptile vitamin

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist her three times a day, morning evening and night. Yes she drinks a lot

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- I got her as a birthday present October 5 2018 from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 10.0 uvb

100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70-80

Plants- Croton

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up her cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Georgia

Problem- I’ve noticed that she hasn’t been using her tongue to catch the crickets and I haven’t seen her do anything with it, but I randomly looked at her and she had her tongue stretched out of her mouth only for about a second and then put it back in like nothing happened. I took her to the vet earlier today to see if something was wrong with her and the vet told me that she was getting to cold at night time and her metabolism was slowing down too much. Can someone tell me what they think about this?

Last edited:
My chameleon- veiled,female,unknown age,

Handling-Maybe like once every week and a half (she will go to the door of the cage when I walk in my room)

Feeding- mostly crickets about 10

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed her

Fluker’s reptile vitamin

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist her three times a day, morning evening and night. Yes she drinks a lot

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- I got her as a birthday present October 5 2018 from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 10.0 uvb

100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 90 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70-80

Plants- no living ones

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up her cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Georgia

Problem- I’ve noticed that she hasn’t been using her tongue to catch the crickets and I haven’t seen her do anything with it, but I randomly looked at her and she had her tongue stretched out of her mouth only for about a second and then put it back in like nothing happened. I took her to the vet earlier today to see if something was wrong with her and the vet told me that she was getting to cold at night time and her metabolism was slowing down too much. Can someone tell me what they think about this?
Do you gutload your crickets? If so, with what? You need a phosphorous-free calcium supplement with D3 and use it twice monthly. Could you post a pic of her and her enclosure, please? Eventually, if she’s not already old enough, she’ll need a 18” by 18” by 36” tall cage, preferably screen. Is your uvb a compact coil or linear bulb? Basking should be 85*. The humidity is too high, it needs to be between 40-70%

Do you gutload your crickets? If so, with what? You need a phosphorous-free calcium supplement with D3 and use it twice monthly. Could you post a pic of her and her enclosure, please? Eventually, if she’s not already old enough, she’ll need a 18” by 18” by 36” tall cage, preferably screen. Is your uvb a compact coil or linear bulb? Basking should be 85*. The humidity is too high, it needs to be between 40-70%
I gut load them with potatoes, apples and carrots, I have a calcium supplement with d3 but I just realized it does have phosphorus so I’ll get some without it tomorrow. I am also building her a new cage tomorrow and I have more plants and stuff arriving, my uvb is compact coil (which I might be switching tomorrow. The basking temp is fine and how would I lower the humidity?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 104
I gut load them with potatoes, apples and carrots, I have a calcium supplement with d3 but I just realized it does have phosphorus so I’ll get some without it tomorrow. I am also building her a new cage tomorrow and I have more plants and stuff arriving, my uvb is compact coil (which I might be switching tomorrow. The basking temp is fine and how would I lower the humidity?
Get rid of the potatoes and add in either organic fresh fruits and veggies from the gutload list in food and nutrition in resources and/or get a quality commercial gutload like Repashy, Pangea, Mazuri, or Cricket Crack. You can purée the fruits and veggies and add them to unflavored gelatin, serve them as is, or make the commercial gutload into a paste as your water source. Get a t5HO linear 10.0 uvb bulb and fixture. The basking temp is not fine, read the veiled care sheet. To lower humidity, take out the croton and/or mist for shorter sessions (as long as it doesn’t go under 2 minutes). How big will the next cage be? Add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere

Could you post a better pic of your cham so we can determine age, please? Also, don’t forget a lay bin

Get rid of the potatoes and add in either organic fresh fruits and veggies from the gutload list in food and nutrition in resources and/or get a quality commercial gutload like Repashy, Pangea, Mazuri, or Cricket Crack. You can purée the fruits and veggies and add them to unflavored gelatin, serve them as is, or make the commercial gutload into a paste as your water source. Get a t5HO linear 10.0 uvb bulb and fixture. The basking temp is not fine, read the veiled care sheet. To lower humidity, take out the croton and/or mist for shorter sessions (as long as it doesn’t go under 2 minutes). How big will the next cage be? Add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere
I just checked my mailbox and my Total bites all in one diet insect feeder just came in the mail, and I though 80 to 95 was a something I was supposed to go for, and I’m not too sure on the size just yet I’ll figure all that out tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 132
I just checked my mailbox and my Total bites all in one diet insect feeder just came in the mail, and I though 80 to 95 was a something I was supposed to go for, and I’m not too sure on the size just yet I’ll figure all that out tomorrow.
She looks receptive, she needs a lay bin ASAP, the veiled care sheet here has info on how to make one. Her eyes look sunken in, make sure to let her drink her fill every misting. Total bites is a crap gutload, get one of the ones I listed above

Here’s lay bin info. Lowe’s has a flower pot the perfect size and play sand, make sure to wash the play sand thoroughly
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Treasures-17-75-in-W-x-17-75-in-H-Black-Plastic-Planter/3878879
Get the lay bin set up tonight, not tomorrow, like literally go to the store now!
I have one, should I put her in it now and leave her in it all night? And how old do you think she is, i’ve Only had her for about a month. Also how can you tell she’s graivd

Last edited:
I have one, should I put her in it now and leave her in it all night? And how old do you think she is, i’ve Only had her for about a month
Yes, put it in and leave it. Does it match with the lay bin info I posted? Leave her be and give her privacy (don’t let her see/hear/sense you) then give her extra calcium after she lays her eggs. She’s atleast 4-6 months old, because that’s when they start to develop eggs. I’m horrible with ages, so don’t take it to the bank, but I’d say around 8 months
Edit: by leave it (lay bin), I meant make it a permanent fixture in her cage

Yes, put it in and leave it. Does it match with the lay bin info I posted? Leave her be and give her privacy (don’t let her see/hear/sense you) then give her extra calcium after she lays her eggs. She’s atleast 4-6 months old, because that’s when they start to develop eggs. I’m horrible with ages, so don’t take it to the bank, but I’d say around 8 months
Edit: by leave it (lay bin), I meant make it a permanent fixture in her cage
I had already made a lay bin for her but the cage isn’t really big enough, that’s why I’m building a bigger one tomorrow. But I had one ready because I was told it was important

I had already made a lay bin for her but the cage isn’t really big enough, that’s why I’m building a bigger one tomorrow. But I had one ready because I was told it was important
It is. Is it atleast 1’ by 1’ by 1’ tall with sand all the way to the top with a couple of branches or vines leading to it? You might have make a starter hole for her

Take the bottom out of her cage and rest the cage on the lay bin if you have to, she needs it now

Take the bottom out of her cage and rest the cage on the lay bin if you have to, she needs it now
Okay I did it she’s got her lay bin in her cage I made enough room I threw a sheet over the cage so she can’t see anything. Is there anything else?

Edit: also how can I tell when she’s done, do I need to dig in there and check everyday?

Okay I did it she’s got her lay bin in her cage I made enough room I threw a sheet over the cage so she can’t see anything. Is there anything else?

Edit: also how can I tell when she’s done, do I need to dig in there and check everyday?
Her belly won’t be nearly as big. When she’s done, she’ll be weak so give her extra water and calcium

Back
Top Bottom