Stretching tongue out

I’m Surprised The vet didn’t notice it but thanks for the help.
No problem! Make sure to reread the egg laying and breeding section in the veiled care sheet because she’ll need extra calcium in the future when gravid, it also touches on egg binding, and many other things. @jannb breeds veileds, so she’s a great reference for any questions

No problem! Make sure to reread the egg laying and breeding section in the veiled care sheet because she’ll need extra calcium in the future when gravid, it also touches on egg binding, and many other things. @jannb breeds veileds, so she’s a great reference for any questions
So could that be why she’s not shooting her tongue?

So could that be why she’s not shooting her tongue?
Don’t know. Could be a plethora of things. My ambilobe, the one that came to me with MBD (thankfully mild and only visible through x-rays and has since stopped), can’t control his tongue and can only shoot it halfway as a result of it. So he gets everything either hand or tong fed, immobilized on a branch near him, or bowl fed. Make sure your husbandry is 100% and wait and see. It could be a tongue injury that never healed

My chameleon- veiled,female,unknown age,

Handling-Maybe like once every week and a half (she will go to the door of the cage when I walk in my room)

Feeding- mostly crickets about 10

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed her

Fluker’s reptile vitamin

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist her three times a day, morning evening and night. Yes she drinks a lot

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- I got her as a birthday present October 5 2018 from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 10.0 uvb

100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70-80

Plants- Croton

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up her cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Georgia

Problem- I’ve noticed that she hasn’t been using her tongue to catch the crickets and I haven’t seen her do anything with it, but I randomly looked at her and she had her tongue stretched out of her mouth only for about a second and then put it back in like nothing happened. I took her to the vet earlier today to see if something was wrong with her and the vet told me that she was getting to cold at night time and her metabolism was slowing down too much. Can someone tell me what they think about this?
Okay so gutloading would definitely help, when i got my chameleon he already wasn’t able to eject his tongue at all (don’t order a chameleon from LLL reptile) and so i’ve learned gutloading is very important. it’s been a few months and he’s able to eject his tongue about 7-8 inches he has a long way to go since he’s about 8 months old but consistency with gutloading is key. At first if i went a day without feeding him he would lose all the progress we gained with tongue projection

Okay so gutloading would definitely help, when i got my chameleon he already wasn’t able to eject his tongue at all (don’t order a chameleon from LLL reptile) and so i’ve learned gutloading is very important. it’s been a few months and he’s able to eject his tongue about 7-8 inches he has a long way to go since he’s about 8 months old but consistency with gutloading is key. At first if i went a day without feeding him he would lose all the progress we gained with tongue projection
Thank you I will be going by the pet store tomorrow so I’ll get some of the good stuff

Thank you I will be going by the pet store tomorrow so I’ll get some of the good stuff
Doubt you will get a quality gutload from a chain pet store.
465E620F-3247-4F82-99A7-0D3AC3BAF56A.png

Toung issues are almost always a result of one of two things. Nutritional deficiencies or a toung injury, usually nutrition.

Given the fact that your Cham hasn’t been getting a proper gutload or calcium schedule I’m going to say start there. The fact that she is likely gravid only compounds the lack of nutrients problem. Forming eggs taxes her body that much more.

Toung issues are almost always a result of one of two things. Nutritional deficiencies or a toung injury, usually nutrition.

Given the fact that your Cham hasn’t been getting a proper gutload or calcium schedule I’m going to say start there. The fact that she is likely gravid only compounds the lack of nutrients problem. Forming eggs taxes her body that much more.
Well I’m getting it all straightened out thanks to all of you

Back
Top Bottom