strange nighttime breathing sounds

whitespyder

i just put my cham to bed and shortly after she fell asleep i heard these puffs coming from her. they happened every few minutes or so. i turned her light on to get a better look and she stayed asleep. i didnt see any breathing at all until the puff which came from her nose as she made a jolt movement which then woke her up. i watched her for a while and she started breathing normally eventually without any puff sound, and i turned her light off so she can go back to sleep. so far, i havent heard the puffing noise since.

i guess my question is, do chameleons slow down their breathing when they sleep? and why would she be making puff sounds in her sleep and not during the day. (unless this is chameleon snoring!) this is the first time im experiencing this and im worried that it might be because of some mango juices bubbling out of her nose a few days ago when she took a huge bite of mango and held it in her mouth for a few seconds. maybe im just over-reacting! any thoughts?

Breathing does slow in sleep yes. If its not bubbling from mouth or nose or holding its head up, then consider these possibilitys.
Sometimes a lizard sheds the skin inside the nostrils first, before the rest of it. Loose skin in the nose can make odd sounds and be annoying, a lizard may 'snort' to dislodge it, likewise airborn dust or an errant insect etc.
It may have aspirated a small amount of fruit jiuce if it was really juicy, but its a long shot.
Keep an eye on it. :)

if it keeps up and/or sounds like a hissing raspy noise, it might be a respitory infection. my veiled had one before, it started with that weird snoring

jojackson: yeah i hear my chameleon making short snorts every now and then throughout the day. i think they sound like sneezes and i usually say "bless you" to her afterwards :p she probably had some dried up mango juice in her nostrils bothering her. her sleeping position was completely normal and her head was resting.

i havent heard her make a sound since i posted earlier, but ill definately keep an eye on it :) i wouldnt want it to turn into an URI

thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom