Strange fungal infection

hello I'm looking for any advice or if anyone has experience in fungal infections.

I have a male ambilobe panther chameleon his name is Pablo and he is just over a year old.
He has been getting treated by a vet for the past 4 months, he had skin swabs taken and the results showed he has a fungal infection called cryptococcus uniguttulatus.

I have been using the creams supplied by the vets but nothing has helped. The vets have never seen or treated this type of infection before. I feel a bit stuck on what to do next and wondered if anyone has experience in this type of infection and could help me out would be great!

Thank you

Can you post photos if it please.
There are antifungal medications that are given orally that should work in it...have you tried any?

A quote from Wikipedia on that fungus...
C. uniguttulatusEdit
Cryptococcus uniguttulatus (Filobasidium uniguttulatus is a teleomorph) was the first non-neoformans Cryptococcus to infect a human. It was isolated from ventricular fluid from a patient having had a neurosurgical procedure. This species was found to be very sensitive to amphotericin B at the minimum inhibitory dose. This species was first isolated from a human nail.

Is it beige in color?
http://coproweb.free.fr/mycoweb/fiches17.htm

Last edited:
28554590_1500079176756517_1404774962_o.jpg
28555093_1500079156756519_1809507266_o.jpg

Thanks for the reply,
I have tried one oral antifungal medication called itrafungol. Hes been getting it once a day for the past 2 months but not helping. I'm going back to vet on Thursday to see if there is anything else they can offer.

I have tried to take a few pictures it's difficult to see it just looks like a black spot with a bit dry skin. he wasn't a fan of the camera and his colours went very dark making it even more difficult to see. They took swabs of the rest of his body and the results came back saying the fungus is all over him but you can't see anything the only part that you can see is the tiny bit on his chin

The name of the drug used is in an earlier post of mine in this thread. Just make sure it's the right fungus. It looks different than the pictures included in the sites about the one you say it is.

That is deffenetly the name of the fungus the vet told me. But I have always found it strange that he has such an unusually fungal infection I have no idea how he caught it. I'm going to ask to get another swab test done for him at vet on Thursday and see what the results come back as.

Do chameleons have a natural skin bacteria?

There are bacteria/viruses/fungi everywhere...so chameleons are no exception.
It could be CANV...but I'm not sure because some of the symptoms are missing.

There are bacteria/viruses/fungi everywhere...so chameleons are no exception.
It could be CANV...but I'm not sure because some of the symptoms are missing.
I will mention that to the vet and see if they can do a test for it.
Apart from the mark on his chin he is completely fine from what I can tell anyway.
He eats and drinks fine and he sheds well, he poos regularly and it looks normal and he is active always comes right up to me when I go to his cage. It's upsetting because the vet told me not to handle him and if I have too I'm to wear disposable gloves. I was also told to get rid of all his plants and trees because the fungus could thrive in an environment like that. Just not a very happy situation for him that's why I'm so desperate to find a cure for it.
I have considered trying another vets for a second opinion but I worry I might be told the exact same thing at another vet.

Back
Top Bottom