Strange behavior.

Isaac_562_

So I have a male Jackson’s chameleon which is about 9 months old and when I go to open his cage to feed him or give him water he jerks his head up and sometimes side to side after I mist him. (Seems almost like a twitch) I’ve had him for two weeks and he’s never done it before last Friday. Is he just upset or do you think I should get this checked out by a vet?? I might just be paranoid but just thought I’d see if this is normal first aha.

• Your Chameleon - i have a Jackson’s chameleon which is 9 months old.
  • Handling - i handle both of them a few times a week. the last owner told me they were used to being handled every day but i read that is very stressful for them.
  • Feeding - i work at a feed store so i buy the gut loaded crickets we carry and i let them roam in the enclosure so they eat them throught the day. i also attempt to give them mealworms everyday i get home from work the most i will give them is 2. we gutload them with a brand called total bites.
  • Supplements - im dusting crickets with a calcium dust without d3. i asked the owner if a needed one with d3 and he told me no the uvb bulb would take care of it. i still need to get a multivitamin which i will be giving them every other week.
  • Watering -i have a drip system which i leave hanging while im gone. but both chams love to drink when i get home and give them water threw the drippers tube.
  • Fecal Description - dark brown\white.
  • History- i bought the cham at a local reptile shop and he told me they were both healthy which is relatively true but i do suspect that my female has a burn mark which i will be taking her to the vet tomorrow for. he also told me the female was naturally black and green as he had never seen her change color but today i found that she is a lime color with no black bands.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type- i have a screen cage that is 36"x18x18 that has a plastic door on the front. it is the zoo med deluxe cage.
  • Lighting - im using a compact uvb bulb and a small halogen bulb as a heat source. both are made by zilla. i keep both on for at least 9 hours a day 13 Max.
  • Temperature - Right now the basking spot is 85 and the bottom is about 70. the temerature never drops below 60 at night.
  • Humidity - stays in between 80-60%
  • Plants - all the foliage is plastic i bought with them besides some veggies i give them from time to time.
  • Placement - The cage is on top of my dresser which is as high as my shoulders. It is placed next to the door of my bedroom so the only traffic is me coming in and out for the most part.
  • Location - im located in southern CA.

He’s telling you “No” either to the water or invading his cage. It is the same robotic looking twitch they use to show the female he’s ready to go. All my males have done this! The females will rock their shoulders (and maybe back up) to tell you “no” which is the same movement they use to let the male know they are not receptive.
Also, we have found that both sexes will sometimes use their eyes to communicate with you! They look back and forth between you and the light you forgot to turn on or the errant juvenile you’re searching for. I never realized they were so bright! I thought my 1st Jackson’s was just special until we got more.

He’s telling you “No” either to the water or invading his cage. It is the same robotic looking twitch they use to show the female he’s ready to go. All my males have done this! The females will rock their shoulders (and maybe back up) to tell you “no” which is the same movement they use to let the male know they are not receptive.
Also, we have found that both sexes will sometimes use their eyes to communicate with you! They look back and forth between you and the light you forgot to turn on or the errant juvenile you’re searching for. I never realized they were so bright! I thought my 1st Jackson’s was just special until we got more.
Woah, I never heard of that. Where can I find more info about that?

Woah, I never heard of that. Where can I find more info about that?
I have never looked into it - just our observations over the past 10 years as Cham owners/companions. Our 6 month old juveniles haven’t learned yet even though they communicate w/ each other.

I have a panther and I typically turn off his big bright T5 bulb first, and give him about 15-20min to settle in somewhere comfy for the night. If I forget to turn off his basking light, he will literally look at me, then look to the light, then back at me. Seen this more than a few times, I really do believe he is saying "Turn that light off, so I can go to sleep."

Back
Top Bottom