Story Time! WARNING: Graphic Photos.

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
We’re at a friends house and the little boys are playing our side, all of a sudden we hear “GET BACK, GET BACK” from my dad. I look outside and there is a maybe foot and a half long cottonmouth going across the back fence. One dad has it pinned in the corner and my dad is scrambling around to find a shove while I’m trying to keep two 7 year olds from running towards a venomous snake. A few shovel swings later andddd we have a snake body, and a snake head. Today was very interesting to say the least.
D9F7ED65-E4E2-43D2-BEB0-EE8DD7597E1B.jpeg

I guess that's a thing people do out there huh? My brother was telling me he ran over a rattlesnake(california), I was like dude why would you do that... he said his kids play in the area and they're dangerous. Idk I'd be the guy putting it in a box and relocating it Haha.

I guess that's a thing people do out there huh? My brother was telling me he ran over a rattlesnake(california), I was like dude why would you do that... he said his kids play in the area and they're dangerous. Idk I'd be the guy putting it in a box and relocating it Haha.
Me too. We had them in Ontario when I was a kid and we just gave them a space.

We have rattlers and copperheads here, but you *might* find one in the woods of the mountain areas. Not super common - just give them their space.

My fam in Texas on the other hand get crazy amounts of venomous snakes in their yard. My uncle killed 5 in his yard in one day. Their mentality down there is they are like (killer) rats. He had to check his yard every time he let the dog or grandkids out. So I can understand in that part of the country where they’d rather kill them.

We have rattlers and copperheads here, but you *might* find one in the woods of the mountain areas. Not super common - just give them their space.

My fam in Texas on the other hand get crazy amounts of venomous snakes in their yard. My uncle killed 5 in his yard in one day. Their mentality down there is they are like (killer) rats. He had to check his yard every time he let the dog or grandkids out. So I can understand in that part of the country where they’d rather kill them.
The first time we moved here, there was a huge coral snake in our front yard, when my dad asked for something to get it out, my mom handed him a broom lol.

I used to live on a property in the California foothills. We had a huge rattlesnake on one end of the property I only ever saw his back half. We just figured that end of the property was his and we had fewer rats in the barn. Didn't have kids and the dogs were fenced in far away from there.

Me too. We had them in Ontario when I was a kid and we just gave them a space.

I mean I get it, people get panicky when kids are involved. Especially those that don't appreciate nature like you or I. Personally, I've just never been a fan of the human *kill anything that is strange or venomous response*. Not that there aren't times for it, but there's a lot of people that just kill anything they don't understand.... then we wonder why the planet is going to hell lol.

I don't know the situation OP was in, don't take it like I'm being heavily critical. I have toddlers and would destroy anything or anyone that threatened them. But only if it was an actual threat(maybe this snake was closer than what I imagine?)

The first time we moved here, there was a huge coral snake in our front yard, when my dad asked for something to get it out, my mom handed him a broom lol.

Aren't coral snakes very passive and reclusive though? I have also read they need to literally chew on you to inject venom(unlike most snakes that instantly inject it)

Yup same venomous snakes here, but they're so rare.

I get that, I'm not rushing to judge anyone. I imagine rattlers play a pretty big part in ecosystem balance. Do they reproduce fast or something? You'd think with how many people killing them, they'd be going endangered?

Aren't coral snakes very passive and reclusive though? I have also read they need to literally chew on you to inject venom(unlike most snakes that instantly inject it)
I have no idea I was 5 lol. But from what I’ve heard my dad but it in a bucket and let it go in the woods.

I tried to get them to take it somewhere else but they had 2 tiny dogs trying to kill it, the moms screaming in the corner, and little boys thinking that they can take it (as boys typically do lol) it was a lot.

I tried to get them to take it somewhere else but they had 2 tiny dogs trying to kill it, the moms screaming in the corner, and little boys thinking that they can take it (as boys typically do lol) it was a lot.

Sorry I could have worded what I said better. Not trying to judge or criticize anything that happened. I'm honestly not familiar with rattlesnakes, but I do know they are dangerous. Kids/family/pets involved... I get it.

Sorry I could have worded what I said better. Not trying to judge or criticize anything that happened. I'm honestly not familiar with rattlesnakes, but I do know they are dangerous. Kids/family/pets involved... I get it.
No I didn’t take it that way lol your all good.

Not criticizing your friends either for killing it @The Wild One ...I just can't kill anything more than a mosquito or wasp....and I've often wondered what I would do if an animal decided to attack me...but if it's not bothering me I don't bother it.

Rattlesnakes aren't as bad as they sound.... I got tagged by a WDB when i was 10-11, and I was out the hospital in 3 days.

Yup same venomous snakes here, but they're so rare.

I get that, I'm not rushing to judge anyone. I imagine rattlers play a pretty big part in ecosystem balance. Do they reproduce fast or something? You'd think with how many people killing them, they'd be going endangered?

I thought rattlesnakes were protected around here but Im not sure. I camp in the mountains here often, my whole life... and you hear them at night, but I’ve only ever seen 1 venomous snake in the wild in my life. It was a copperhead curled up sunning itself in a rocky deserted area in WV mountains, and as soon as we nudged it with a stick (it was in a spot to easily get stepped on), it quietly slithered back into its hole in the rocks.

Im sure people who live closer to the woods prob see them around here more often, but not enough that I hear stories about them like in the south.

Back
Top Bottom