Sticks, Etc

NewOwner

Hi, i was just was created this thrread for SUGGESTIONS and TIPS

I am getting a huge flexarium in about 8 days.. and was wandering about a few things, Btw, this is for my 4-4.5 month old female veiled, she loves to wander, and loves Her ficus :p

Anyways My questions, or things id like tips on are...

}- What do you use for Sticks, Vines? (Willow, Driftwood, Etc) -{

}- Is driftwood, Driftwood sticks Ok? (Im asking because of the salt..) -{

}- What does your chameleon like to climb around on..? -{

Thanks Everyone! :)

thinks you collect from the "wild" are fine as long as you scrub them down with a very mild bleach soln and then bake them at 300 for an hour or so to make sure any bacteria or parasites are dead

I quit using drift wood do to the wood getting moldy from all the mistings. even bleach wasn't removing it. So now I just use different types of vines.

Arbutus! aka Pacific Madrone
You're living near where I am so I know this is growing nearby somewhere :)
easy to cut, easy to position, easy to clean (brush off any peel so you've no bark)
Turns and stays a nice redish brown colour.

I didnt like Willow myself.
Other options local to you are Maple, Apple, Hazel

I also use store bought "jungle vines"
and brown or black or green plastic coated electrical wire (bought from any home improvement store off a roll, cut to desired length)

im using exo terra jungle vines. all the sizes can be used or combinated, my cham loves it. there is a big pothos plant in the flexi so she can climb on it too, or even on the sides of the flexi.

im using exo terra jungle vines. all the sizes can be used or combinated, my cham loves it. there is a big pothos plant in the flexi so she can climb on it too, or even on the sides of the flexi.

Same that I use! using multipule sizes is good for the cham also Dave told me they can get sores inside their hands.

Arbutus! aka Pacific Madrone
You're living near where I am so I know this is growing nearby somewhere :)
easy to cut, easy to position, easy to clean (brush off any peel so you've no bark)
Turns and stays a nice redish brown colour.

I didnt like Willow myself.
Other options local to you are Maple, Apple, Hazel

I also use store bought "jungle vines"
and brown or black or green plastic coated electrical wire (bought from any home improvement store off a roll, cut to desired length)

Darn, she beat me to it! Madrone is fantastic! Manzanita is good, too. They are related, actually.

Hi, i was just was created this thrread for SUGGESTIONS and TIPS

I am getting a huge flexarium in about 8 days.. and was wandering about a few things, Btw, this is for my 4-4.5 month old female veiled, she loves to wander, and loves Her ficus :p

Anyways My questions, or things id like tips on are...

}- What do you use for Sticks, Vines? (Willow, Driftwood, Etc) -{

}- Is driftwood, Driftwood sticks Ok? (Im asking because of the salt..) -{

}- What does your chameleon like to climb around on..? -{

Thanks Everyone! :)

In my opinion i would not use any form of drift wood from the water only because its rotten and water logged that is just my opinion :p

What i did to save lots of money was find an dying tree break a few different size limbs off whatever i wanted...

Then I first took a small axe and removed the smaller stubby branches then i took a hunting knife and removed the bark and then! i took a rasp to file off any nasty looking knots dead bugs etc...

Once that was done with all of them i asked my parents to use the bathub :rolleyes: to soak them

I placed them all on the bottom of the tub and wood does float! so you put heavy rocks on them to hold them down that makes sure you get it done right! i took a full cup of bleach to a full bathtub. i know those measurements are not exact but hey it worked for me :)

let them soak a good 24 hours remove them

And im not sure if your weather permits it but!:D then you lay them in the sun until they are dry or oven cook which smells nasty!

It sounds like a laborious job but it pays :)

ARBUTUS :eek: :D

Thanks Everyone,

I never thought about arbutus, Thanks Sandra! :) Come to think of it.. it is a VERY nice colour... And peels easy, and on Van Island.. you go on the highway and See MANY :)

Thanks!

P.S I use exoterra vines too, was just wondering what others use, :)

Just be cautious where you harvest branches from. There are bylaws protecting these trees in some areas. Also, collecting near a highway would increases the possiblity of exposure to chemicals, car exhaust nasties, etc.

Back
Top Bottom