Spliting a cage?

andy123

Hey,

As some of you may have seen a while back I got Bob a big cage due to the size of him, however he is the most laziest chameleon ive ever seen.
He walks to his food so its about an inch away and only ever moves around the cage at night when he wants to sleep. Ive tried putting new branches in, moving the cage around, using different food.

Have people ever split the cage down the middle (vertically) so the cage isnt as wide and maybe have another chameleon the other side? I've seen some adults kept in cages smaller then half of bobs cage is now?

If so how have you done it? do you use mesh or glass or wood?

Many thanks
Andy

You might check your temperatures and have him checked for parasites.

I'm new to chams, but when I first got my Jacksons, he seemed so lazy he was almost lethargic. I had ambient temps at 68-70F and basking at 84-86F. (He was also on hunger strike, but he was new and I know now that he doesn't handle change well.) I didn't originally think he was cold because he did not linger under his basking lamp, and according to everything I had read, the ambient temps seemed fine.

I did take him to the vet and had him treated for a parasite problem, which I am sure made him not feel well. I also bumped his ambient temps to 72-74F and that alone seemed to make a world of difference. Started eating like a horse and now he is incredibly active, especially during his morning territorial circuit.

The temperature thing would be an easy check - just raise the household temp for a few days and see if he perks up. Having a fecal done is probably just a good idea anyway if you haven't done it in a while (it was less than $20 for me). If he does decide to perk up, he's going to want every inch of that cage, so be sure everything is a-okay before you rent out half his apartment.

(You might also have a look around your environment and make sure something is not making him uncomfortable - not necessarily scared, just not able to relax. Sit on the floor in front of his cage and look up - ceiling fans, movement outside windows, curtains blowing from a vent, reflections off something, bright patterns or colors, things looming over the cage, anything that might make you nervous if you were small and tasty.)

...Or you could just have a lazy lizard :)

4 x 3 x 2.5 Ft
T x W x D

You will end up with VERY small cages for both chams and it won't do anything for his laziness. I wouldn't put another adult cham in either side even if others might try. A cham who is well fed and has his needs met just isn't going to be very active. To stimulate a cham you need to make him move farther to reach basking, sleeping, drinking and hunting areas. Smaller space won't do that. Instead, I'd try free ranging him and see if he perks up instead. If he's as mellow as you say he might be a great candidate for free ranging.

hey guys

his all healthy theres nothing wrong with him, ive tried varying the days his fed on and how long before he is fed again but still he'll walk right up to them, he does explore his cage now and again and temperatures are fine he isnt the most friendliest to handle and due to having cats free ranging is abit limited, there isnt anything to cause him not to relax he sleep sfine and has his favourite places to sit with regards to basking theres several spots he can use but enjoys the one spot and i always put food down the bottom so he has to move to get it and due to the size of the cage it is all sprayed with water daily. all in all he is healthy and happy

Even if I do handle him and get him out, he'll sit in one spot and not move at all for over half an hour then he'll move and get comfy and then sit and do nothing like he does in his cage...

Back
Top Bottom