Husbandry Review For Male Panther

Mitcchar

Established Member
Ok so I am getting a new ambilobe panther chameleon on Wednesday of next week and I wanted to make sure that my cage looks good and make sure it will provide the hides and environment he needs. On top I have a 24” T5HO 5.0 Reptisun hood along with a Zilla deep dome heat lamp w/ a 50 W bulb. The basking temp is around 80-82 degrees. I will post a couple pics of the cage, but it is a ReptiBreeze XL cage with dragon ledges. I have lots of sticks and branches attached with sticks, but the basking branch is also supported with a bit of fishing line. Is this ok? I have 8 plants including a monstera, a Dracaena white jewel, a creeping fig (which I have 2 if I need but only one is in the enclosure), a jade Pothos, a philodendron brasil, a aglaonema emerald beauty, and a philodendron Swiss cheese. I have a Mistking misting system that is set to go off a 7:30 am and 7:30 pm with lights turning on/off at 8:00am and 8:00pm. For supplements I will use the repti calcium without d3 every feeding and the reptivite on the 1st and 15th of each month. Hopefully this all makes sense! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi! Looks like you’re off to a good start, not sure how old the chameleon will be but make sure there is enough thinner branches! I started and did more thicker branches than needed, once I swapped to more thin branches he used them more. Varying thickness is ideal, but I tend to lean more to the thinner branches 😁

Others can comment on more things :)

I think it looks good! I dont mist until lights are off, so for me its 9:00pm and 7:30am. You might get some more plants for the bottom area, bit I think it looks great!

You are off to a fantastic start! The only thing I would add is more more more branches and more more more plants :). A good rule of thumb is any unused space in your enclosure is wasted space.

What are your ambient temps and humidity levels?

Since you won’t get baby for a few more days I’d suggest running the whole system as if he where in there so you can double check that you’ve got everting down correctly.

Let us know what other questions you have and welcome :)

Ok so I am getting a new ambilobe panther chameleon on Wednesday of next week and I wanted to make sure that my cage looks good and make sure it will provide the hides and environment he needs. On top I have a 24” T5HO 5.0 Reptisun hood along with a Zilla deep dome heat lamp w/ a 50 W bulb. The basking temp is around 80-82 degrees. I will post a couple pics of the cage, but it is a ReptiBreeze XL cage with dragon ledges. I have lots of sticks and branches attached with sticks, but the basking branch is also supported with a bit of fishing line. Is this ok? I have 8 plants including a monstera, a Dracaena white jewel, a creeping fig (which I have 2 if I need but only one is in the enclosure), a jade Pothos, a philodendron brasil, a aglaonema emerald beauty, and a philodendron Swiss cheese. I have a Mistking misting system that is set to go off a 7:30 am and 7:30 pm with lights turning on/off at 8:00am and 8:00pm. For supplements I will use the repti calcium without d3 every feeding and the reptivite on the 1st and 15th of each month. Hopefully this all makes sense! Thanks!
Hey there off to a great start... What is your distance to the branch below the UVB?

Did you put anything on the outside back panel or right panel to protect your walls from overspray?

Only thing I would adjust is have a misting session late afternoon when your cage temps start reducing. This will give the cham an opportunity to clean eyes and drink if it prefers moving water.

The basking branch is about 7” down from the heat lamp with the other branches around 10” below the UVB. I also have a window insulation film on the sides to protect the walls. I will run the whole thing today to find ambient temps, but last time I checked it was high 70s at the top and then low 70s to high 60s towards the bottom. I will measure the humidity once I get home, and thanks for all the help!

Also is this ok? It’s my basking branch supported by clear fishing line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 20
The basking branch is about 7” down from the heat lamp with the other branches around 10” below the UVB. I also have a window insulation film on the sides to protect the walls. I will run the whole thing today to find ambient temps, but last time I checked it was high 70s at the top and then low 70s to high 60s towards the bottom. I will measure the humidity once I get home, and thanks for all the help!
Ok how old is the panther you are getting? When they are young they tend to screen climb the top of the cage... So this would involve lifting fixtures up off the top screen.

WIth a 5.0 T5HO you want 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture on top to the closest branches below to put the cham in the correct UVI.

With your heat what kind of bulb are you using? Regular round incandescent or flat bottom focused heat bulb?

It’s a 50 W bulb heat bulb I got from Amazon and I can check the brand. The chameleon will be around 4.5 months old, so not totally a baby

It’s a 50 W bulb heat bulb I got from Amazon and I can check the brand. The chameleon will be around 4.5 months old, so not totally a baby

Ok just look at the type when you get home. Where are you getting this baby from? At that age they can still screen climb the top so just keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom